Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 8th October 2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Beckett
Mega Forero

Default Loquo no more

It's been awhile since I checked out Loquo.com. I knew that they had been bought by eBay but I didn't know that eBay was going to do away with the old Loquo set-up. It used to be a great place to find up-to-date room for rent listings, language intercambios as well as other people interested in activities like playing tennis, running, going out, etc. Now the site has been converted to eBay and is only about buying and selling stuff.

What Spanish sites (i.e. in Spain) have you guys found that have picked up some of this slack? I know of Spanish apt rental sites and intercambio sites but I'm wondering if there's a site out there that covers both territories? In the past, when Loquo was still around, Craigslist Spain was pretty weak. I wonder if that has changed.

Which sites are you now using to find intercambios and activity partners and "rooms-for-rent" in Spain since Loquo went bust?
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
It's been awhile since I checked out Loquo.com. I knew that they had been bought by eBay but I didn't know that eBay was going to do away with the old Loquo set-up. It used to be a great place to find up-to-date room for rent listings, language intercambios as well as other people interested in activities like playing tennis, running, going out, etc. Now the site has been converted to eBay and is only about buying and selling stuff.

What Spanish sites (i.e. in Spain) have you guys found that have picked up some of this slack? I know of Spanish apt rental sites and intercambio sites but I'm wondering if there's a site out there that covers both territories? In the past, when Loquo was still around, Craigslist Spain was pretty weak. I wonder if that has changed.

Which sites are you now using to find intercambios and activity partners and "rooms-for-rent" in Spain since Loquo went bust?
I only found out about this the other week when I tried to access Loquo and ended up on e-bay! I didn't know Loquo had gone bust - do you have any details? And what is e-bay doing with them? They seem to have got rid of a craig's list style site and replaced it with e-bay - why?

It seems there is a bit of a gap in the Spanish market for a Craig's list style website.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Lupine Chemist
Forero

Quote:

I'm looking for a shared room in Madrid right now and the loss of loquo was terrible. But for housing stuff, idealista.com is still good and easypiso.com will do alright. Most other things segundamano.es works really well for.
Lupine Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Beckett
Mega Forero

Lupine, yes, I know about those other sites. I was just wondering if there was another site that had emerged in Spain that was exactly like the old Loquo, with a mix of different types of ads.

Legazpi, turns out that eBay bought Loquo back in 2005. I didn't realize it was five years ago. But it's only been this year that they converted the site to eBay's format.

Here's a brief news announcement about eBay buying Loquo:
http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjo...6/daily23.html
Old 10th October 2010, 09:01 PM   #5
Lupine Chemist
Forero

So I definitely just went on the side since Idealista was down and it was old loquo again. I'm really confused.
Lupine Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 07:11 AM   #6
MrMark
Convert to vinos

Quote:
It seems there is a bit of a gap in the Spanish market for a Craig's list style website.
The basic display of a listings site probably isn't too difficult (relatively!) to rig up. The difficult part would be in running the interaction part of the site (emails, messages, taking payments etc) as there's an awful lot of spam and worse out there.
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine Chemist View Post
So I just went on the site since Idealista was down and it was old loquo again. I'm really confused.
Yeah, me too! I just checked and yes, the old Loquo format is back online. I guess the site was down on Friday and they just had the Loquo traffic forwarded to the eBay site? But then Legazpi mentioned that he had also landed on the ebay Spain site awhile ago when trying to go to Loquo. Maybe eBay was running some kind of test and plans to gradually change Loquo over to its format?

All in all it is very strange that there was no simple "Down for maintenance" type of message because anyone wanting to find Loquo probably wouldn't want to land on the eBay page.

Oh well, I'm glad to see the old Loquo back in action. Hopefully, it is permanent.

Last edited by Beckett; 11th October 2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11th October 2010, 09:50 AM   #8
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Yes it was a couple of weeks ago that I discovered Loquo was doing a good ebay impression. And now it's back. I guess it brings a new meaning to the site's name.
Old 11th October 2010, 10:04 AM   #9
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
The basic display of a listings site probably isn't too difficult (relatively!) to rig up. The difficult part would be in running the interaction part of the site (emails, messages, taking payments etc) as there's an awful lot of spam and worse out there.
I don't think it's too difficult to implement messaging systems, payment systems, etc these days. All the core software is already written. Although I suspect filtering spam would still be a problem.

If I were to have a crack at it now I'd probably try to do a Facebook app anyway - they've got all the interactive stuff built in already. You just need to develop some software to organise all the classifieds, etc.
Old 13th October 2010, 06:25 PM   #10
MrMark
Convert to vinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legazpi View Post
I don't think it's too difficult to implement messaging systems, payment systems, etc these days. All the core software is already written. Although I suspect filtering spam would still be a problem.

If I were to have a crack at it now I'd probably try to do a Facebook app anyway - they've got all the interactive stuff built in already. You just need to develop some software to organise all the classifieds, etc.
I worked for a time for a professional social network company. They had to put huge resources into managing email, user authentication etc. They soon found that they couldn't manage the email and message board stuff themselves because of the spammers and phishers. Another company was brought in to maintain first a black-list (ie stop known spammers from sending mails) and then (when this system was overwhelmed by sheer numbers of new spammers) to restrict things to a white-list. Last I heard, they were thinking of outsourcing the whole lot to Google (probably a wise tactic). The whole issue of security is enormous for anyone running a site with 1000s of hits a hour.
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 07:43 PM   #11
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
..... The whole issue of security is enormous for anyone running a site with 1000s of hits a hour.
It's bad enough here. About 40% of new joiners seem to be trying to plug something! We (moderators) weed some out at the join stage and dump the rest when they've "sinned". Trying to follow a forum containing loads of junk is not a pleasant experience.
A huge proportion of the world's e-mail is also spam. I've found the Gmail filters very good, although you still have to look in the "Spam" folder every now and then in case a real message creeps in there.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 07:42 PM   #12
lyrebird
Forero

Quote:
I'm looking for a shared room in Madrid right now and the loss of loquo was terrible. But for housing stuff, idealista.com is still good and easypiso.com will do alright. Most other things segundamano.es works really well for.
I think the loquo on ebay is official. I've been trying to access the job section for days and I always end up on Ebay and there don't seem to be anything relating to jobs- does anyone know where I can find it?
(or any other useful links?)
I'm focused on jobs in and around Barcelona.

Thanks!
lyrebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 09:03 PM   #13
lyrebird
Forero

Quote:
I think the loquo on ebay is official. I've been trying to access the job section for days and I always end up on Ebay and there don't seem to be anything relating to jobs- does anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks!
Old 31st October 2010, 01:06 AM   #14
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrebird View Post

Thanks!
Are you trying to access it from outside of Spain? That is the reason. eBay has it set up so that if you try to reach Loquo from outside of Spain, it will route you to eBay. It's stupid but that's what's going on. They should at least give people an option between the two sites because plenty of people want to visit Loquo even though they're not currently in Spain.

I sent eBaySpain an email a couple of weeks ago asking them why eBay kept turning up instead of Loquo, and they emailed me back saying that people outside of Spain get routed to eBay's site.

I am in Spain and have been routed to eBay's site when I've tried to reach Loquo, so it must be something with Vodafone (my ISP address) that is causing eBay to pop up from time to time.

My recommendation to you is to use a service that will mask or "anonymize" your non-Spain IP address. Then you will be able to view Loquo.com. I use a service called Viscosity so that I can watch the BBC from Spain.
Old 31st October 2010, 09:55 AM   #15
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:

My recommendation to you is to use a service that will mask or "anonymize" your non-Spain IP address. Then you will be able to view Loquo.com. I use a service called Viscosity so that I can watch the BBC from Spain.
How do you do that? I would love to be able to watch the BBC from here.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 10:28 AM   #16
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
How do you do that? I would love to be able to watch the BBC from here.
You need to get a VPN (Virtual Private Network). There are plenty of free ones (Open VPN), but I choose to use a subscription service where I pay an annual fee. Here's the link to the company I use: http://www.witopia.net/welcome.php

Just do a Google search for "open vpn" and you'll get plenty of hits.
Old 31st October 2010, 11:01 AM   #17
lyrebird
Forero

Quote:
Are you trying to access it from outside of Spain? That is the reason. eBay has it set up so that if you try to reach Loquo from outside of Spain, it will route you to eBay. It's stupid but that's what's going on. They should at least give people an option between the two sites because plenty of people want to visit Loquo even though they're not currently in Spain.

I sent eBaySpain an email a couple of weeks ago asking them why eBay kept turning up instead of Loquo, and they emailed me back saying that people outside of Spain get routed to eBay's site.

I am in Spain and have been routed to eBay's site when I've tried to reach Loquo, so it must be something with Vodafone (my ISP address) that is causing eBay to pop up from time to time.

Thanks! That explains everything- I'm in UK.