Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Warm up area > A nice place for new members to say hello

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Norberto
Forero
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Madrid
Posts: 18
Default Hello world !

Hello everybody,

My name is Norberto, I'm from Spain, and I like learning english, I don't have a real reason to learn it, just for the pleasure of learning.

I would like to find someone (I think it's called a penpal) willing to learn spanish, so we can exchange languages lessons, perhaps via email, maybe in this forum. I'm not sure yet about talking (skype) thought, because I'm very shy and tend to get nervous easily, so I need a lot practice with the language to get confident.

I think it can be fun and easy to talk and write about almost everything, while we are learning, you spanish and I english. My interests, well, I am curious person so I can get hooked with anything. Nowadays, I'm studying music (percussion, classic and tribal), and I enjoy books, movies, sports, games...

I hope to have fun here with you all, and please, don't hesitate to correct all my faults, I know they are a lot.

Best regards
Norberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 02:01 AM   #2
Uriel
Mega Forero
 
Uriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Mexico, US
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norberto View Post
Hello everybody,

My name is Norberto, I'm from Spain, and I like learning english, I don't have a real reason to learn it, just for the pleasure of learning.

I would like to find someone (I think it's called a penpal) willing to learn Spanish, so we can exchange languages lessons, perhaps via email, maybe in this forum. I'm not sure yet about talking (skype) thought, because I'm very shy and tend to get nervous easily, so I need a lot of practice with the language to get confident.

I think it can be fun and easy to talk and write about almost everything, while we are learning, you Spanish and I English. My interests, well, I am curious person so I can get hooked with anything. Nowadays, I'm studying music (percussion, classic and tribal), and I enjoy books, movies, sports, games...

I hope to have fun here with you all, and please, don't hesitate to correct all my faults, I know there are a lot.

Best regards
Judging from your writing, you have nothing to worry about -- your English is very good! I am in the same boat as you, learning Spanish, and I would be happy to help you. Welcome to the forum!
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 03:02 AM   #3
pbojarsky
Forero Senior
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 51
Default

Hola Uriel,
Puedes enseñarme como hacer correcciones como tu hiciste por Norberto ? Hay una manera sencillo de copiar el texto y corregirlo en otro color ? Necesitas escribirlo de nuevo ?

Paula
pbojarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 10:02 AM   #4
SrCandas
Super Forero
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hampshire UK & Asturias Spain
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbojarsky View Post
Hola Uriel,
Puedes enseñarme como hacer correcciones como tu hiciste por Norberto ? Hay una manera sencillo de copiar el texto y corregirlo en otro color ? Necesitas escribirlo de nuevo ?

Paula
Paula when you want to correct simply click quote. Just highlight the changes you type and then select a colour (red?) from the grid that appears when you click the down arrow to the right of the large ' A' which is to the right of the Fonts and sizes combos (all at the top of the message).

Tags at the beginning and end of the highlighted text will appear. If you click preview you will see the effect.

I've noticed some people put [options/alternatives] like this which I think is good.

Perhaps it would be good if there was a standard for this, possibly there is?

HTH

ps Sorry Uriel not trying to do you out of a job but I am waiting for a chatter from Philippines so I thought I'd try and be useful.

Last edited by SrCandas; 7th October 2010 at 10:06 AM.
SrCandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 11:56 AM   #5
tad
virtual idiot
 
tad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: palmers green
Posts: 2,405
Default

Hi Norberto. We also tend to get hooked on something.
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Tumbit
Forero
 
Tumbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 45
Default

... LOL at your signiture " I love being corrected ". Judging by the standard of your written English, I bet it doesn't happen that often !
Tumbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 11:40 PM   #7
Norberto
Forero
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Madrid
Posts: 18
Default Thank you all

Thank you all for your support and your corrections. The truth is, that was my first attempt to write in English after so many years, so I am very happy to see that I can do it, even if I sound 'guiri' (don't know how to express that idea in English) when you read me.

Thank you Uriel, we'll see how this boat floats, hope it's safer thant the Titanic, and of course, if you need help with your Spanish, I will be eager to help.

Tad, I guess there is a difference between 'hooked with' and 'hooked on', and I am sure it's something funny because the , but my knowledge of english is not enough here. I tried the dictionary and found 'on the hook for' 'hooks into', well I wasn't able to find what did you mean, maybe you just were trying to correct me because 'with' doesn't belong there ?

And finally Tumbit, thank you for compliment, but believe me or not, this is the second time I write in English after at least fifteen years, so I am not sure what is my level because I only read books and watch films with English subtitles. Nevertheless, I guess my real problem is conversation, maybe someday when I feel confident I will try to chat with voice or try to meet English speakers in person.

Again thank you for your help, and happy to be part of this community.
Norberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 02:30 AM   #8
Uriel
Mega Forero
 
Uriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Mexico, US
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrCandas View Post
Paula when you want to correct simply click quote. Just highlight the changes you type and then select a colour (red?) from the grid that appears when you click the down arrow to the right of the large ' A' which is to the right of the Fonts and sizes combos (all at the top of the message).

Tags at the beginning and end of the highlighted text will appear. If you click preview you will see the effect.

I've noticed some people put [options/alternatives] like this which I think is good.

Perhaps it would be good if there was a standard for this, possibly there is?

HTH

ps Sorry Uriel not trying to do you out of a job but I am waiting for a chatter from Philippines so I thought I'd try and be useful.
No hay problema, Señor!

He notado que mucha gente pone sus correcciones en rojo y las letras o palabras innecesarias en gris, y sigo su ejemplo, porque me parece muy utíl y facil a entender.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 02:47 AM   #9
Uriel
Mega Forero
 
Uriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Mexico, US
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norberto View Post
Thank you all for your support and your corrections. The truth is, that was my first attempt to write in English after so many years, so I am very happy to see that I can do it, even if I sound 'guiri' (don't know how to express that idea in English) when you read me.

(I guess "guiri" would equal "foreign" or "non-native".)

Thank you Uriel, we'll see how this boat floats, hope it's safer thant the Titanic, and of course, if you need help with your Spanish, I will be eager to help.

Tad, I guess there is a difference between 'hooked with' and 'hooked on', and I am sure it's something funny because the , but my knowledge of english is not enough here. I tried the dictionary and found 'on the hook for' 'hooks into', well I wasn't able to find what did you mean, maybe you just were trying to correct me because 'with' doesn't belong there ?

(Depends on who's the fish and who's the fisherman, I guess -- I can hook you with interesting topics; you will be hooked on such fascinating conversation. For a more literal visual image -- you hook a fish with a worm. The fish gets hooked on your line when he tries to eat it -- this is where the two sayings come from.)

And finally Tumbit, thank you for compliment, but believe me it or not, this is the second time I've write written* in English after at least fifteen years (or in at least fifteen years), so I am not sure what is my level is because I only read books and watch films with English subtitles. Nevertheless, I guess my real problem is conversation, maybe someday when I feel confident I will try to chat with voice or try to meet English speakers in person.

* This tense sounds a little more natural to my ears, at least!

Again thank you for your help, and I'm happy to be part of this community.
Wow, casí perfecto! ¿Solamente de libros y subtítulos? !Necesito ver más peliculas!
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 04:05 AM   #10
pbojarsky
Forero Senior
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 51
Default

Thanks ! I'll give it a whirl.
pbojarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 02:50 PM   #11
tad
virtual idiot
 
tad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: palmers green
Posts: 2,405
Default

[QUOTE=Norberto;92604]maybe you just were trying to correct me because 'with' doesn't belong there ?QUOTE]

Yes that's all I meant, I can't think of an expession involving hooked with although you can hook up with someone (we love our prepositions to change meaning) -it must be hard for a learner.
You can be hooked on learning languages -or taking drugs.
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 03:40 PM   #12
Lupine Chemist
Forero
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Madrid
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norberto View Post
Hello everybody,

My name is Norberto, I'm from Spain, and I like learning english, I don't have a real reason to learn it, just for the pleasure of learning.

I would like to find someone (I think it's called a penpal) willing to learn spanish, so we can exchange languages lessons, perhaps via email, maybe in this forum. I'm not sure yet about talking (skype) thought, because I'm very shy and tend to get nervous easily, so I need a lot practice with the language to get confident.

I think it can be fun and easy to talk and write about almost everything, while we are learning, you spanish and I english. My interests, well, I am curious person so I can get hooked with anything. Nowadays, I'm studying music (percussion, classic and tribal), and I enjoy books, movies, sports, games...

I hope to have fun here with you all, and please, don't hesitate to correct all my faults, I know they are a lot.

Best regards
Again judging by how you right your English is way ahead of my Spanish and I live in Spain and work in Spanish. Don't be so shy, I find many Spaniards are afraid of being embarrassed by speaking poorly with a native speaker when it really can help things a lot.
Lupine Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 12:32 AM   #13
Norberto
Forero
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Madrid
Posts: 18
Default

Thank you all, my ego is flying right now and I am discovering this as a fascinating way of learning English. I will try to fight my shyness and in the future give a shot at skype, as you say Lupine, I think the only way to improve my speaking is (surprise) speaking !

Thank you all for your instructive corrections
Norberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 04:01 AM   #14
pbojarsky
Forero Senior
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norberto View Post
Thank you all, my ego is flying right now and I am discovering this as a fascinating way of learning English. I will try to fight my shyness and in the future give a shot at skype, as you say Lupine, I think the only way to improve my speaking is (surprise) speaking !

Thank you all for your instructive corrections
Hi Norberto,

You are learning that this is a fascinating way to learn English. It is a fascinating way to learn Spanish as well.

Paula
pbojarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 01:35 PM   #15
Uriel
Mega Forero
 
Uriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Mexico, US
Posts: 434
Default

Hey, you're getting the hang of it, Paula!
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 01:31 AM   #16
pbojarsky
Forero Senior
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 51
Default

Yeah, now I feel less like a newbie !
pbojarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 09:58 PM   #17
angelfly
Novato
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2
Default

Your english is great! You'll have no problem mastering the rest of the language.
angelfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Learn REAL Spanish now!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.