Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 21st October 2010, 04:49 PM   #1
seattledba
Forero

Default don Quijote vs AIL Madrid

Hola, i will be in Madrid in January and am interested in taking a spanish class - i have seen numerous references on this forum to don Quijote but nothing about AIL - the classes/prices seem similar so i wonder if anybody has any experiences with or opinions about AIL. it appears that don Quijote is geared towards a younger student so that might not be the best for me - any reqs on other schools would be greatly appreciated as well.

Gracias a todos
Tom
seattledba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 09:24 AM   #2
el_toro
Novato

I'm going to be studying in madrid next year as well.

I have been told about the Instituto Cervantes which has all the offical schools. Don Quijote doesn't seem to be one of them. AIL yes
http://eee.cervantes.es/es/resultados.asp

Another popular one I have heard of is International House.

Any help of deciding a school would be useful.

Thanks
el_toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Beckett
Mega Forero

SeattleDBA,
If you're over the age of 25, I wouldn't recommend Don Quijote. If you're coming to Madrid, I'd recommend elemadrid or Tilde Madrid.

Here's a blog entry I wrote about questions you should ask yourself in selecting a language academy: http://bit.ly/doaYoE

Good luck!
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 08:22 PM   #4
el_toro
Novato

thanks Beckett. I have just read your blog.

Have you heard Eureka? I will have a look at the 2 you mention
el_toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:00 AM   #5
Beckett
Mega Forero

El_Toro,

Eureka is located in the heart of Madrid right next to la Puerta del Sol and near the Plaza Mayor. You can't get more centrally located than where they are. I personally don't know anyone who has attended that school but I visited there once because I had a friend coming to Spain who wanted to take a course so I went there to get one of their brochures and just to see what the place looked like. The academy is located inside one of those classic old Madrid buildings. It looked like a professionally-run facility and they offered different course options.

I recall their prices being quite reasonable and they also offer the extra service of having lunch with one of their teachers, which I think is a great idea. You have to pay extra for that but you've got to eat anyway, so why not have a meal with one of their teachers? I don't know of any other language academies in Madrid officially offering a service like this. Yes, of course, you can invite your teachers out for a coffee or whatever, but there's no guarantee they will accept! At least if it's a service that the school offers it's nice to know that you can sign up for it whenever you feel like you need some extra conversation with someone who is obligated to help you.

When I attended a language academy in Buenos Aires, I paid extra to have lunch daily with my instructor and it was really great. I thought it was very beneficial and it helped us both get to know each other better on a personal level.

If you're on a tight budget, another school in Madrid to consider is Carpe Diem. But it's a small school, tends to skew to a younger clientele and their "intensive" program is 3 hours of instruction a day instead of the 4 or 5 hours a day you'll often find at other schools. This is another school I've personally checked out.

My advice to you is if you're coming to Madrid for an extended period, (let's say 2 months or longer), go ahead and sign up with a language academy that appeals to you but don't pay for more than the first 2 weeks in advance. That way if you go and don't like it you can always switch to another school once you're in Madrid and can check out some other locations in person.

Good luck!

Last edited by Beckett; 2nd November 2010 at 12:02 AM.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote