Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 22nd January 2008, 11:23 PM   #21
Diana
Super Forero

All the best to you and your family. Great to hear that you have your old job back!!!
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:39 PM   #22
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
There is a lot of competition, and honestly, discrimination abounds. I once had a job interview, and 3 minutes into the interview, the interviewer stops me and says, "May I be honest? I can´t present you as a candidate to my company. You have impeccable skills. In fact, you are overqualified for the job. Your Spanish is very good, but it is not perfect. If I were to present you as a candidate, they would toss me into the street, because in a pressured environment, you might have difficulties communicating."
Brian, I just re-read your post and this employer's lame excuses for not hiring you simply baffle me... similar things happen in Holland, though.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 08:18 AM   #23
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
Brian, I just re-read your post and this employer's lame excuses for not hiring you simply baffle me... similar things happen in Holland, though.
It is discrimination without excuse, Edith, but life will go on.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 03:06 PM   #24
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
I'm sorry it happened to you. It's their loss.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 05:26 PM   #25
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
I'm sorry it happened to you. It's their loss.
My point exactly.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 07:09 PM   #26
olivia
Forero

Hello Brian,

That was a fab experience for you and your family.. I wish you happy settlings back home.
olivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 11:52 AM   #27
Dougal1
Forero

Default Brian

Hi Brian...
Ie always wanted to live in Spain and I will heed your advice in the future hopefully.

I actually have a question or two. You decided to make the move back home - in doing so, was the decision making progress similar to that when you decided to go to Spain? I mean, there are probably doubts and dreams and maybe financial worries etc and I just wonder how you have approached this.

Good luck in the future!
Dougal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 01:18 PM   #28
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougal1 View Post
Hi Brian...
I actually have a question or two. You decided to make the move back home - in doing so, was the decision making progress similar to that when you decided to go to Spain? I mean, there are probably doubts and dreams and maybe financial worries etc and I just wonder how you have approached this.
There are no sure things in life, but the decision to move back to the USA was really based on one big factor- the need to work. Both my wife and I have excellent jobs waiting us the moment we arrive in the US. After 6 months of failing to get gainful employment in our respective fields, it was a simple, commonsense financial decision, much easier than the decision to come over to Spain.

We could have probably made it by taking jobs cleaning locales or bagging groceries to make ends meet, but we're not 25 anymore, and we have 2 kids.
Old 30th January 2008, 07:02 AM   #29
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Concerning moving companies:

There are a LOT of cut-rate internet international moving companies out there willing to give you a price that's half of what you would normally pay. The risk that you run is having someone come to pick up your stuff and then it never arriving in Spain because they decided to abscond with it.

Get a moving company with a good reputation. You might save $4,000 by going with a fly-by-night operation, but you might never see your things again. Heed the fact that most moving companies make very little profit on an international move. Most of the profit goes to the owners of the ship that is actually transporting the container. Do your research, and in the end, check your moving company at www.movingscam.com. They have invaluable blacklists of the bad guys. If at all possible, use one of the big guys, such as Atlas or Allied. We were lucky enough to live in the same city as Atlas' world headquarters, so our consultation was with the owner of the whole corporation!

Another caveat: It doesn't cost the same to move back to the US as it did to move away. In fact, expect to pay 30% more. You'll see this phenomenon in the US where it's much more expensive to move TO California than it is to move AWAY from California.
Old 30th January 2008, 12:12 PM   #30
madrid2008
Forero

"I´ve seen David Bisbal come to our little town for a concert."

Perhaps this is the real reason you want to leave Spain?

Thanks for the advice, very useful, and it is a real shame you have to go.

All the best.

Dean
madrid2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 07:45 PM   #31
zuri

I`ve worked for a Spanish company for 2 years, even if you come with a job offer, don`t expect the same conditions or hours especially if they promise them.I was regularly working 12-14 hr days without overtime, income was less than written into the contract (they said sue if you want too) and jefe called everybody Hijo de Puta, and very dangerous conditions that you wouldn`t get away with in the UK.
Old 25th February 2009, 04:28 PM   #32
nevet888
Novato

Hi, I`m new to the site and this is my first post at the first point of call in finding out the situation within Spain for immigrants.

My first real question after reading this post and its replies is how many of the posters arn`t in Spain.

I`m finding that most of the Expat sites are filled more with people such as myself lookin into moving to Spain than actually in Spain.

The ones that are in Spain are usually new too Spain.

Is it that bad
nevet888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 06:32 PM   #33
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevet888 View Post
Hi, I`m new to the site and this is my first post at the first point of call in finding out the situation within Spain for immigrants.

My first real question after reading this post and its replies is how many of the posters arn`t in Spain.

I`m finding that most of the Expat sites are filled more with people such as myself lookin into moving to Spain than actually in Spain.

Is it that bad
There are plenty of people who have successfully moved to Spain, however I suspect the incentive for them to spend much time on forums such as this is much less than it is for those who are looking to move to Spain.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 06:56 PM   #34
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legazpi View Post
There are plenty of people who have successfully moved to Spain, however I suspect the incentive for them to spend much time on forums such as this is much less than it is for those who are looking to move to Spain.
Plus when you get to Spain - you finally have a life!!
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 07:34 PM   #35
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevet888 View Post

Is it that bad
Overall it's probably no better or worse than anywhere else, some good bits some not so good.
What you have to do is work out what you want from the place you live in, find out some of the drawbacks and see if they are manageable, then give it a go if you think you can hack it.
Just remember that moving won't solve your problems all on it's own, if anything the language and bureaucracy may even make them worse. Everyone is different and what I like about living here may be reasons for you not too.
Good luck in whatever you decide and I hope you find a good life somewhere in the world.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 08:04 PM   #36
Evamar
Forero

Quote:
Brian, so sorry it didn´t work for you and your family, but you have to be very proud that you tried. No "What if´s" is a good thing. Now you just look ahead.

Yes, many negative things that you said are truly embebed in our Spanish culture and can be very fustrating to foreigners... and to natives too!

We have a stupid amount of red tape... basically our public servant class is overgrown (otherwise they would be unemployed and affecting the stats) and they have to justify to have all this people on board, so they put several steps in order to get that "vuelva usted mañana" response.

As per "discrimination", I´m sorry, but I have to say that it is the same in all places, not only in Spain. You could perfectly work in any English speaking country, no problem with that.

But in my own experience, when I moved to London and decided that I wanted to give a chance to my relationship with my now husband, I discovered that although I have a degree in Law, work experience, several important courses, several degrees in English... all this means absolute nothing outside your country, simply because you don´t speak the language as a native.

I spent almost 8 months first knocking my head against the walls trying to get anything in an office environment, I spent all my savings but the money for the return ticket, and then I had to give up and take simply anything, and that was working ilegally folding garments in a basement, no chairs, half an hour break, 6 days per week, 9 hours per day. And you take it happily because you need to pay for food, rent and transport.

After almost 9 years, things are better for me and although I will never have the same kind of jobs that I could have had in Spain, and my carreer has been trunked because I decided to stay in the UK with my husband, I think that I have reached the top that I can realistically reach professionally in England.

Fair? Of course not, but it happens to all foreigners speakers of a different language and without good contacts. Unless the job is intented to be done in your own language, you will find it is almost impossible to get the job you deserve. I am sorry, but I think that I would have experienced the same problem in your country unless I had a good contact in the sector.

The only consolation about this for those who stay is that the second generation in the host country will speak like a native and will have the same chances.
Evamar is offline   Reply With Quote