Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spain Travel - Advice and Experiences

Notices

Old 16th September 2010, 12:15 PM   #1
libero7
Novato

Default New baby

Hi, my wife and I have a newborn baby and we're going to take her to Sevilla, Marbella old town and possibly Ronda for 10 days at the end of next month (she'll be 8 weeks by then). Has to be next month as the reason for the trip is attending a friend's birthday.

We have been to Spain many times, speak a fair bit of Spanish and have lived in Seville for a few months but I must say that we have until now been entirely oblivious to babies in Spain and the locals attitudes to babies. I don't particularly remember seeing or hearing babies when I have been out and about but then perhaps I have just blocked them out!

I'd therefore love to know if anyone has any tips about taking a baby to Spain. Do you think, for instance, that it's OK to take babies to restaurants in the evening or would they be unwelcome?

Many thanks
libero7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 01:05 PM   #2
SrCandas
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by libero7 View Post
Hi, my wife a......... to restaurants in the evening or would they be unwelcome?

Many thanks
Relax and enjoy. The spanish are much more family oriented than us english. My wife is Sevillana so I have first hand experience. I'd always ask the camarero first, just seems polite but also you might get directed to a quieter corner (and then you can make it not quite so quiet .) . In most restaurants you can just pass any baby food to the camarero and they'll even sort that out for you.

But I would take everything for baby with you. Yes you might be able to buy it there but it just makes everything stress free.

Well have a great time. Possibly the best city in Spain and at the end of October the temp. should be very pleasant .
SrCandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Tumbit
Forero

Default Baby in Spain

To say that the Spanish love children - especially babies is an understatement.

My Gf and I had lived in our village in Spain for 3 years until we had our daughter (3 years ago) . It is totally without exaggeration to say that we werean almost 'Invisible' part of the community until my Gf was massively pregnant.

Now, our daughter is well known throughout the village and welcomed into every and all establishment, whether it's a bar or restaurant or shop.

Becuase we have no family living here in Spain, as a newborn, she would accompany us out for a meal and a few drinks on a Sataurday night, sleeping in her carrycot or pram until quite late. This was all without a second look from any of the locals and the staff generally could not be more helpful.

Taking Babies out in public to a Bar or Restuarant quite late generally isn't as frowned upon as it is in the UK and I would be very surprised if you encountered any problem at all.
Tumbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Tumbit
Forero

Default Baby in Spain

To say that the Spanish love children - especially babies is an understatement.

My Gf and I had lived in our village in Spain for 3 years until we had our daughter (3 years ago) . It is totally without exaggeration to say that we werean almost 'Invisible' part of the community until my Gf was massively pregnant.

Now, our daughter is well known throughout the village and welcomed into every and all establishment, whether it's a bar or restaurant or shop.

Becuase we have no family living here in Spain, as a newborn, she would accompany us out for a meal and a few drinks on a Sataurday night, sleeping in her carrycot or pram until quite late. This was all without a second look from any of the locals and the staff generally could not be more helpful.

Taking Babies out in public to a Bar or Restuarant quite late generally isn't as frowned upon as it is in the UK and I would be very surprised if you encountered any problem at all.

Relax, and have a great time !
Tumbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 02:46 PM   #5
libero7
Novato

Excellent, thanks both. Exactly what I wanted to hear so feel happier about it now - she will love all the attention!
libero7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 12:47 AM   #6
Beckett
Mega Forero

Yes, the Spanish love kids but watch out for the smokey restaurants and bars and also remember to pack and carry plenty of wet wipes and tissues/paper towels because public restrooms in Spanish bars and restaurants tend to be less than sanitary and frequently don't have any hand soap, paper towels or toilet paper. You may also want to have a stash of small plastic trash bags that you can throw the soiled diapers in because the public restrooms sometimes don't even have trash cans!

Also, the high noise level in some establishments (between the music, the conversations, the waiters, and the clanging coming from the kitchen), can be almost unbearable for adults, so I can't imagine how a tiny baby's ears might feel about that. Just giving you another perspective to consider.

Last edited by Beckett; 17th September 2010 at 12:49 AM.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 06:56 AM   #7
Uriel
Mega Forero

Congratulations! And not to pass along my parents' party-pooping peccadillos, but they delighted in leaving me with the neighbors when when I was a kid so that they could enjoy their vacations abroad without me. In this manner I managed to miss out on, let's see: London, Scandinavia, the Holy Land, and many other fun destinations that were only a babysitter and a short plane ride away from our home in Germany.

However, I did get to savor the joys of the Madrid airport once, on my way to the States for the first time -- I was 18 months old, and we were parked on the runway but not allowed to leave the plane for several hours, and I got kind of cranky after a while-- my mom still tells horror stories about my screaming fit. And still fails to take me on long plane rides to this day. (She was happy to send me alone across multiple time zones and even the international date line in the care of strange flight attendants, though, and once even bought me a ticket to Hong Kong with instructions to just get off the plane while it was refueling at my actual destination of Narita....hmmm.)
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote