Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Spanish Basics - Vocab and Grammar Q & A

Notices

Old 30th September 2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Petrichor
Super Forero

Default Present vs past subjunctive

Abajo os pongo un fragmento de una noticia sobre los comicios que se celebrarán en Brasil.

En el caso de que ninguno de los candidatos obtuviera más de la mitad de los votos válidos emitidos, habría una segunda vuelta electoral el 31 de octubre.

Me gustaría saber por qué no se usó el subjuntivo presente, obtenga, y el futuro de indicativo, hará, respectivamente. ¿Será que el subjuntivo pasado expresa más improbabilidad o una situación hipotética? ¿Sería incorrecto usar el presente del subjuntivo?
Petrichor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrichor View Post
¿Será que el subjuntivo pasado expresa más improbabilidad o una situación hipotética?
Sí, señor.

It wouldn't be incorrect to use the present subjunctive in that sentence but the use of the imperfect subjunctive really emphasizes how remote and unlikely it is that there will not be a clear winner in the election. In other words, the possibility that no one would receive at least 50% of the vote in that particular election is highly unlikely, at least from the perspective of the speaker/writer of that sentence. ¿Me explico?
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 05:03 AM   #3
Uriel
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrichor View Post
Abajo os pongo un fragmento de una noticia sobre los comicios que se celebrarán en Brasil.

En el caso de que ninguno de los candidatos obtuviera más de la mitad de los votos válidos emitidos, habría una segunda vuelta electoral el 31 de octubre.

Me gustaría saber por qué no se usó el subjuntivo presente, obtenga, y el futuro de indicativo, hará, respectivamente. ¿Será que el subjuntivo pasado expresa más improbabilidad o una situación hipotética? ¿Sería incorrecto usar el presente del subjuntivo?
It's kind of like they are saying, In the event that none of the candidates should obtain more than half of the valid votes, there would be a second election on Oct. 31st, instead of In the event that none of the candidates obtain more than half the votes, there will be a second election on Oct. 31st. Which is possible in English, but sounds really old-fashioned (at least to me).
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote