Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spain Travel - Advice and Experiences

Notices

Old 2nd October 2010, 02:28 AM   #1
outpostbabu
Forero Senior

Default Driving from Madrid to Pamplona

Hi all, as a follow-up to my questions about cycling the Camino, I have some questions about getting there. I am picking up a rental car at the Madrid airport and driving to Pamplona. Google maps tells me the trip will take between 4 and 6+ hours to drive 376km. There are two routes: one that avoids highways and goes through Tarazona and one that includes highways through Burgos. I'm looking to balance time and sight-seeing. I'd prefer quiet rural routes to driving the highway the whole time. Which of the two would you recommend? Or perhaps some other? Also, what sorts of things should a first-time driver in Spain be aware of regarding laws, customs, driving habits, etc?
outpostbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Legazpi
Mega Forero

It's been a while since I drove that way, but I know there are a few nice routes around Soria such as the Cañon del Rio Lobos:

http://www.canonderiolobos.com/paginas/canon.htm

If you don't have a GPS then make sure you have a new map, since roads tend to change numbers, and new roads get built a lot (unfortunately sign posts don't always get updated). Once out of built up areas I imagine driving in Spain is similar to the USA. Spanish cities can be a nightmare to find your way around, due to poor road signs, so just give yourself time to get lost. Make sure you carry insurance, license and passport (but that's obvious really).
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 06:14 PM   #3
MCP
Super Forero

Don't rely on drivers to signal before turning left or right, and be prepared for people to overtake on the wrong side. Obviously it's only a minority who do this, but it's a dangerous minority if you're not careful.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 07:54 PM   #4
Pippa
GigaForero

Avoid the Burgos road. There are roadworks at present that run for a long time. If you go from the airport would be more logical to go in the A2 up to km 150 and then go up to Soria. The landscape is quite bare, but on the way you have Alcalá de Henares and Sigüenza. Once you get to Soria there is more to see. There are also small streches of the road that have road works but nothing like the Burgos road.

Last edited by Pippa; 3rd October 2010 at 09:49 AM.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 06:06 PM   #5
outpostbabu
Forero Senior

I ended going some way near Soria on the advice of a gas station attendant. It was a nice drive but due the rain and driving on unfamiliar roads in somebody else´s car in a foreign land, I wasn´t fully able to enjot it. I´m now just in Azombro (I think) along the Camino. Great trip so far! Thanks for the info!
outpostbabu is offline   Reply With Quote