Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 31st May 2007, 02:35 PM   #21
Spanish people
Novato

Default damian in affraid you are wrong

It depends on the city, but official guides are very few and the tourism market is so big, running guided tours is NOT a dangerous thing to do.
Spanish people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 04:16 PM   #22
tierra-de-olas
Forero

Default DELE?

I thought anyone who wanted to officially work in Spain needed to take and pass the DELE, the Spanish equivalent of the TOEFL?
tierra-de-olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 09:51 AM   #23
DCkid
Novato

Here´s my 2 cents on this.

Bar work is usually found in the more touristic areas such as Benidorm, Marbella etc. My father owns a place in Marberlla, but usually hires Argentinians, when they are not complaining. Expect to be explioted. No matter what your always going to find an employer taking advantage of your situation here. I can´t even tell how many people I known that have had falling outs with "friends" hiring them for bar work. Business is business

Best Advice is to prep from the States. If your looking for a job, before getting over here try www.infojobs.net all 3 jobs I found here in Spain working for large multinationals I got through that site. If you type english in the search you will find tons of work. Send resumes´s explain your situation. If your good they might take the chance. So sell yourself

Hope this helps
DCkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 04:41 AM   #24
meghan
Meghan

Default Internships

hey all! I am planning to move to Madrid in September and was wondering if anyone knows or has heard of anyone that has applied for an internship in Spain from overseas. Two agencies, Instituto Hemingway and BEST Programs, offer (for a fee) to find housing and an internship in a specified field in addition to language classes, an orientation, etc. I have not heard much about how accredited these organizations are or how likely it is that I would be able to find a decent internship, but if any of you have suggestions, please let me know. I am actually looking to work in the art world in some capacity (a museum or gallery) but because I don't have much experience, I was thinking of looking for an internship first. Thanks! Any leads or help would be greatly appreciated! -meghan
meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 09:49 AM   #25
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan View Post
hey all! I am planning to move to Madrid in September and was wondering if anyone knows or has heard of anyone that has applied for an internship in Spain from overseas. Two agencies, Instituto Hemingway and BEST Programs, offer (for a fee) to find housing and an internship in a specified field in addition to language classes, an orientation, etc. I have not heard much about how accredited these organizations are or how likely it is that I would be able to find a decent internship, but if any of you have suggestions, please let me know. I am actually looking to work in the art world in some capacity (a museum or gallery) but because I don't have much experience, I was thinking of looking for an internship first. Thanks! Any leads or help would be greatly appreciated! -meghan
Meghan,
Save your money. You would be better off contacting galleries in Madrid on your own and offering your services to volunteer there. I assume that you're willing to work for free, right? In Spain, the paid internship doesn't exist and there is a lot of exploitation in the labor market.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 12:44 AM   #26
ryanjames
rj

Default please help!!

hello
i have been living and working in spain
without papers for about 5 months now.
i must return to the states for a family
emergency, but i want to come back
to finish working.

if i leave spain and stay a week or 2 in the US, will i be able to re-enter spain
without a problem
thanks
rj
ryanjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 10:41 AM   #27
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjames View Post
hello
i have been living and working in spain
without papers for about 5 months now.
i must return to the states for a family
emergency, but i want to come back
to finish working.

if i leave spain and stay a week or 2 in the US, will i be able to re-enter spain
without a problem
thanks
rj
Technically, you've overstayed, but whether or not you get stopped at the airport will depend on whether the airline and/or the Spanish Guardia Civil at the Spanish airport you fly into take a closer look at your passport and decide to stop you. It can go either way.
Old 6th July 2007, 05:54 PM   #28
ryanjames
rj

so what happens if i get stoped,
and it would be better to fly into a larger airport then
ryanjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 10:53 AM   #29
Kevin Salami
Novato

Could you help me out on these questions?

1)I am moving to Madrid Spain. The employer told me that the income tax on 100,000 Euro is around %45! Is it true? the government take half of the money that we make there?
2)how much is the rent for a 3 bed 2 bath middle class family in Madrid?
3)what is the living expenses for a 2 adults and a baby there?
4)can I bring my car over from U.S?

I appreciated for your time.
Kevin
Kevin Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 11:46 AM   #30
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Salami View Post
Could you help me out on these questions?

1)I am moving to Madrid Spain. The employer told me that the income tax on 100,000 Euro is around %45! Is it true? the government take half of the money that we make there?
2)how much is the rent for a 3 bed 2 bath middle class family in Madrid?
3)what is the living expenses for a 2 adults and a baby there?
4)can I bring my car over from U.S?

I appreciated for your time.
Kevin
Congrats on your new job! Yes, taxes are much higher in Europe but don't worry. You're receiving an excellent salary. An annual salary of 100,000€ probably puts you in the top 10% of wage-earners in Spain. Regarding your car, depends on the make and model. Cars in Spain tend to be rather small, in comparison to the average vehicle in the U.S. Gas prices are higher and parking is hard to come by in the city and would be impossible to deal with if you're driving a SUV or some other large vehicle.

Regarding housing costs: www.idealista.com
Also, worth a look: www.SpainExpat.com. They have a category on moving to Spain as well as access to cost of living calculators.

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/info...ving_in_spain/

Good luck!
Old 12th August 2007, 11:49 AM   #31
Beckett
Mega Forero

Another thing...I assume that your new employer will assist you with relocating from the U.S. A talk with their relocation service or somebody in their HR dept should also be able to answer some of these questions. ¡Suerte!
Old 1st September 2007, 10:49 PM   #32
meghan
Meghan

Default ID card

Hello to everyone. To all of you who have replied from Spain (or who lived in Spain), your advice has been particularly helpful, and I'm so grateful! Of course thanks to Ben and Marina for the podcast and website- its awesome and much needed! On one of the "Notes From Spain" podcasts, on living in Spain I guess, I think ya'll (Ben and Marina) mentioned the importance of an ID card for doing a lot of different things in Spain. I am from the US and am moving in about 3 weeks to Madrid to work in the education department at the Museo del Prado for basically a 3-month internship (that I hope to extend!). According to the company I applied through who has found housing for me, I do not need any sort of visa for this- just my passport (as a "tourist" i guess). I'm a little worried about this/confused and am wondering what the visa for residency actually entails. Furthermore, pertaining to my first issue, will I literally HAVE to (theoretically) obtain an ID card to be able to use my credit card- I guess I can answer that because I assume for "tourists" or those without a visa, one just shoes his/her passport as ID. Can you see any reason I would HAVE to have an ID card for the next few months if I will be working as an intern (maybe earning a stipend) and (hopefully) working (illegally, I guess) as an English tutor/teacher? Thanks again for your help and for everyone's comments. I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions!
meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 01:11 PM   #33
Beckett
Mega Forero

Hi Meghan,
Welcome to the forum! Regarding the ID card you mentioned, it's called the "tarjeta de extranjero" or the NIE. Unfortunately, as a U.S. citizen you will not be able to get this card without a valid visa issued by the Spanish consulate. You can go here for more info: http://www.maec.es/consulados/nuevayork/es/home

That web site is for the NYC Spanish consulate. You can search on Google for the Spanish consulate closest to where you live.

By the way, the NIE is not a work visa/work permit. That is a separate document.

If you don't have a NIE, you can use your passport as identification when using your credit card. By the way, make sure to make a photocopy of your passport AND be sure to register online with the U.S. Embassy in Madrid. That way if your passport ever gets lost or stolen (God forbid), or something happens to you while in Spain, all of your information will already be in the system, expediting any request you may need to make.
U.S. citizens are allowed to stay in Spain for up to 90 days without a visa.

Good luck!
beckett
Old 4th September 2007, 01:01 AM   #34
holaquétal
Novato

Exclamation re- americans working in spain

Hello everyone - I just joined the forum and I am really hoping that you guys have some answers for me because I have been searching the web for hours to no avail. It is really hard to find info regarding work.

Okay here is the deal - I am an eeuu citizen in spain on a student visa for 9 months and I really want to find part-time work in the restaurant sector - I don´t really care in what aspect - kitchen, front of house, whatever... I really don´t care about the money or the exploitation - i just think it would be good for my spanish and my psyche and yes, even my wallet a little bit. So I guess my question is...is this legal? I have seen conflicting explanations. It seems that maybe I can work part-time if it doesn´t conflict with my studies?? (but can´t seem to find any specific info to support that) Or if it is ilegal - is it possible and how? Would I get deported, as some say? (that seems highly unlikely if you ask me, but than why do they say it?) Can I just walk into a bar that has a sign up and ask? Also what does it mean when they want ¨documentación en regla¨ - can i fill out that documentation? Well, I guess you get the gist for now. Please respond - if working is a really bad idea I need to know now so I can move on and stop wondering. Thanks!!!!
holaquétal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 01:05 AM   #35
holaquétal
Novato

So, if one has the student visa, can you explain how to get the nie card. I need to do that too. Thanks!
holaquétal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 09:38 PM   #36
Eve
Novato

Hi there, I'm a New Zealander, so I assume the same rules apply to me as Americans?

I'm heading over to Spain next year to do my CELTA course and then teach English (hopefully!) and what i'm wanting to know is whether I should apply for a Spanish student Visa for this?? Or do I just come into the country as a tourist and then sort the 90 day issue out later once I have a job.

If anyone can shed some light on this I'd be most grateful! thanks!
Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 01:43 PM   #37
greytop
Hero Forero

I came across this site (spainlawyer.com) that has info on studying/living/working in Spain. Check internet sources though as they may be out of date & don't come with guarantees!
I hope it helps somebody!
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 02:44 PM   #38
virgeved
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by holaquétal View Post
Hello everyone - I just joined the forum and I am really hoping that you guys have some answers for me because I have been searching the web for hours to no avail. It is really hard to find info regarding work.

Okay here is the deal - I am an eeuu citizen in spain on a student visa for 9 months and I really want to find part-time work in the restaurant sector - I don´t really care in what aspect - kitchen, front of house, whatever... I really don´t care about the money or the exploitation - i just think it would be good for my spanish and my psyche and yes, even my wallet a little bit. So I guess my question is...is this legal? I have seen conflicting explanations. It seems that maybe I can work part-time if it doesn´t conflict with my studies?? (but can´t seem to find any specific info to support that) Or if it is ilegal - is it possible and how? Would I get deported, as some say? (that seems highly unlikely if you ask me, but than why do they say it?) Can I just walk into a bar that has a sign up and ask? Also what does it mean when they want ¨documentación en regla¨ - can i fill out that documentation? Well, I guess you get the gist for now. Please respond - if working is a really bad idea I need to know now so I can move on and stop wondering. Thanks!!!!
A student visa en Spain allows you to work a maximum of 20 hours a week, in a job that does not conflict with your school schedule. for example if you have class in the afternoon you can only work mornings. You need to go to the police station in the town you are living...first apply for the NIE card with your visa, this might take up to 3 or 4 months, but they will give you a paper that you can use the same as the card, and once you have the card, or resguardo of the card you can apply for the work permit.

once you have the permit to work, alot of times employers will let you work more than the 20 hours alotted (off the record)

Good luck!
virgeved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 11:37 AM   #39
greytop
Hero Forero

Default low paid workers - boss arrested

If you're thinking of earning a bit outside the system this may be of interest.
From other posts & news items about the sub-1000 € per month workers, they weren't being paid that much less than legal workers although the hours were longer. Interesting to know what the agricultural workers pick up!
Unfortunately there is no follow up as to what they are supposed to do now, presumably without any income at all.

Immigrants forced to work 55-hour week for EUR 230 wage 13/02/2008 00:00

The owner of a restaurant in Bilbao has been detained by police after it emerged that he was forcing his illegal immigrant staff to work 55-hour weeks for a salary of EUR 230.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2008, 04:27 PM   #40
katya
Novato

Default visa question

Hi all,
I am in Barcelona and have been here for a week now. It's March and so my 90 days will be up at the beginning of June. I'd like to stay here at least through the summer. I'm in a Spanish school and only enrolled for two months.

1)If I extend my studies in the school through the summer, can I get a Student Visa while I'm already in Spain? Or do I have to go home to Boston's Spanish Consulate?

2)The 90 day rule applies to the EU, no? If you are in Spain for 90 days, you have to leave the EU for 90 days until you can come back? Or can you go to another country in the EU, say France?

Thanks for your help!
-Katya
katya is offline   Reply With Quote