Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 12th August 2010, 04:24 PM   #21
mcark
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
nottingham was where the Sherrif lived but the reason that he couldnt get to grips with Robin Hood was that Robin was clearly a Yorkshire lad that lived and lurked round the Sheffieid area - Robin of Loxley - the Loxley valley is in Sheffield not Nottingham.
So he would have sounded like this...

"Naah den, Ah want dee to put die gold darn dere on t'floor near dem dere trees."

Sheffield accent pronounces th as d - they are known affectionately as Dee-Dahs
This is why it is safer for films to either bypass the (any and all) British accent or just use a standard (David Cameron posh) accent for movies portraying Englishmen. I really don't see the big deal....although, it would be odd seeing a movie about an American southerner portrayed by robert de niro.
mcark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 01:46 AM   #22
Uriel
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightykaboosh View Post
Is it just me that's starting to get a little bit more than p****d off with Hollywood's casting. First Robin Hood blockbuster Kevin Kostner- American, Second Robin Hood, Russel Crowe- Australian. Braveheart- racist Australian with the worst scottish accent ever.

Now for the baddies, and you can bet your bottom $ they're going to be English! Like the versitile Alan Rickman.

Just a few examples:http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A891155 even in cartoons; Stewie Griffin, the evil baby on Family Guy (English accent)

Sherriff of Nottingham for the new RH movie, well it's none other than the guy from Spooks series 1. An English man!

"Hollywood" is at fault? C'mon now. You really think they didn't let director Ridley Scott (a Brit, last time I checked) cast his own movie?

And gosh, it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that he and Crowe had collaborated on Gladiator once upon a time?

As for Brits always being cast as the bad guy --

1) Quit complaining! The bad guy usually has the most fun and gets the best lines.

2) I don't see your actors refusing the parts, or crying all the way to the bank as they pocket those paychecks.

3) I can name plenty an American flick that had a Brit cast as the lead or as a sympathetic supporting character, and yet people seem to forget all about those..... hmmmm!

4) We don't pitch a snit fit when foreigners play us. Go for it. Look at most of the male leads in LA Confidential. Seriously, it may not do a lot for the UK, but it keeps Aussies and Canucks in business.

5) We don't pitch a fit when they cast our actors as bad guys. Again, money in the bank, the name of the game!

Quote:
I think it was Eddie Izzard who pointed out that the Death Star in Star Wars was entirely populated by English actors (although Darth Vader was voiced over by an American)
Now I see your beef. You guys didn't even get to be the bad guy. You just got to be his minions. (Largely because it was shot on location in Tunisia and then in a studio in .... London.) And may I remind you of who played Obi-Wan Kenobi, sort of the über-good guy? No pleasing you guys!

Last edited by Uriel; 13th August 2010 at 01:51 AM.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 01:52 AM   #23
Uriel
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcark View Post
This is why it is safer for films to either bypass the (any and all) British accent or just use a standard (David Cameron posh) accent for movies portraying Englishmen. I really don't see the big deal....although, it would be odd seeing a movie about an American southerner portrayed by robert de niro.
Like .... Cape Fear?
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote