Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 16th September 2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Stephen
Mega Forero

Default Any suggestions for Spanish books written in the first person singular?

Has anyone got a suggestion for a good Spanish book written in the first person singular? I fancy working on improving that aspect of my Spanish. I don't really want anything too smacking of Literature. A decent thriller/crime novel would be fine.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 01:52 PM   #2
SrCandas
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Has anyone got a suggestion for a good Spanish book written in the first person singular? I fancy working on improving that aspect of my Spanish. I don't really want anything too smacking of Literature. A decent thriller/crime novel would be fine.
Not sure how you define 'first person singular' in terms of a novel but I have been reading Camilla Lackberg. She has 4 novels about Swedish crimes with plenty of direct conversation. Very well written and translated. To give credit to the translator she is Carmen Montes Cano. I find translated books are better than spanish author originals for improving my spanish. There seems (to me at least) to be a more consistent use of phraseology.

The plots are detailed and interesting. The four run in order and the background characters develop novel to novel - so worth reading in the correct order.

The first one was "La Princesa de Hielo". (400 paginas mas o menos) : isbn 978-84-96748-16-3

I paid 10 Euros for each in posh paperback form.

I enjoyed them so much I tried another Swedish offering by Asa Larsson : 'Aurora Boreal' Bit darker (crimewise) and slightly tougher Spanish. Preferred Camilla but still very good .

Last edited by SrCandas; 16th September 2010 at 01:55 PM.
SrCandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 02:05 PM   #3
SrCandas
Super Forero

Quote:
Ahhh a Hull supporter

A happy hornet here. Enjoy the rest of the season
SrCandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 06:34 PM   #4
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
I agree with SrCandas, Camilla Läckberg's books are quite entertaining and well translated. Other good translations are the Andrea Camilleri books (Italian), of his Montalbano character. One of my favourite crime writers these days is the French writer Fred Vargas, but to be honest, I think the English translations are better than the Spanish ones.

If you want to read something Spanish-Spanish, Lorenzo Silva's books are written in the first person singular. There are about 5 or 6 of them, the first one is "El lejano país de los estanques". Curiously he has been translated into French, Italian and German, but not into English. Posibly a bit more difficult to read than Camilla Läckberg.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 08:11 PM   #5
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Easy reader in the first person would be any of the Manolito Gafotas books. Some people think they are children's books, but the humour is definitely slanted towards an adult enjoying the joke. I have just started the forth in the series (of six) and depite being ostensibly being written by an eight year old boy, part of the humour is that he is a better writer than would first be suspected. And I break out in gales of laughter from time to time.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote