Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > En Español, ¿Hablamos?

Notices

Old 21st October 2010, 10:41 AM   #41
hah
Lazarillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
Really?

If he got the role, it was because he deserved it. Lo is usually it. And sometimes he, I guess, although I still get confused by lo and le.

Now this is whereI get confused a lot; in English we just use the preterite (simple past) for both verbs, but you use the preterite for the first (conseguir) and the imperfect for the second (merecer). Now, you can technically say it that way (sort of) in English, although it's not the most natural choice: If he got the role, it was because he was deserving (of) it. Maybe if I think of it in that pattern, the Spanish version will stick in my mind.
-------------------------------------------------------

True. Knowing which verb tense to use is often very difficult, I find. In English, for example, you tend to say 'I am doing something' in far more situations than Spanish speakers would use 'estoy haciendo algo' (if I understand correctly). In Norwegian we never use that construction with the 'to be' verb. A statement such as 'jeg er gjørende noe' is plain wrong - we only use the present. We use the gerund, however, with other verbs: 'He comes walking down the street' -> 'Han kommer gående ned gata.'
hah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 10:51 AM   #42
hah
Lazarillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
I used Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Verb Tenses by Dorothy Devney Richmond. Fue maraivilloso, porque te hace escribir todo, y los ejemplos a menudo son muy graciosos. Por supuesto, los explicaciones son en inglés, pero hablas eso idioma muy bien. Cuando termino eso, voy a embarcar en Barron's Spanish Pronouns and Prepositions, porque ellos me duelan la cabeza. Por ejemplo, esta noche le estaba diciendo a mi novio que yo había llegado a mi casa, y ahora "voy a buscar algo a comer". Él me corrijo: "algo que comer", lo cual no tiene sentido en inglés, pero así es en español. (Mi madre me dice que según su huéspeda, noruega no hace una distinction entre "on" o "at", y es la único error gramatical que ella hace --¡qué asombroso! )
Thanks! I found them on Amazon, and they look good. I may drop by a very good bookstore this weekend and see what they've got. I really need the practice.

Prepositions are a nightmare, that's true. I don't think we have a preposition that matches 'at' to any great extent.

* He's at school. -> Han er skolen (on)
* I looked at him. > Jeg så ham (on)
* He's studying at MIT. -> Han studerer ved MIT (by/next to)
* He came at me with an axe. -> Han kom mot meg med ei øks (against)
* He's at a friend's. -> Han er hos en venn. (with)
hah is offline   Reply With Quote