Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spain Travel - Advice and Experiences

Notices

Old 3rd October 2010, 12:49 PM   #1
tad
virtual idiot

Default barcelona for a weekend where would you stay where would you go?

Thinking of a weekend break without those pesky kids (end of October). As it's our anniversary I don't think I can get away with a youth hostel.
Any ideas welcome.
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Tumbit
Forero

Personally, I'd look at renting an apartment for a few days. I did this earlier on in the year and found that a 3 Bedroomed top floor apartment with a roof garden overlooking the Sagrada Familia was roughly the same price as a Double Hotel Room ( No meals Inc ) AND was located in a more central location. There are loads of rentals available at reasonable prices and deff worth checking out.
Tumbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 05:06 PM   #3
tad
virtual idiot

That's not a bad idea. I've been looking through a few and they seem quite good value.

What would be an ideal location for being relatively close to the action and to get to from the airport. Actually how do you get from the airport, is it on metro?
Old 3rd October 2010, 05:07 PM   #4
lucy.annabel
Forero

I definitely recommend looking in to apartments to rent, too.

2 of the 3 times I've stayed in Barcelona, I stayed at the Arkupe Apartments. It's right by the Barcelona França train station, it's super easy to walk anywhere downtown from there, but there's a metro stop not too far as well. My most favourite restaurant *ever* (La Taberna del Cobre) is a 4 minute walk away, and I've always felt safe there walking around by myself (I'm a female in my early 20s). The apartments are clean, and the staff (well, I've only met 3 of them) have been very nice and helpful. I've really enjoyed staying there!
I know other people who have also stayed in apartments, and they've enjoyed it as well. It's a fun experience!
lucy.annabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 05:08 PM   #5
tad
virtual idiot

Cheers Lucy I'll check them out.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:23 PM   #6
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad View Post
That's not a bad idea. I've been looking through a few and they seem quite good value.

What would be an ideal location for being relatively close to the action and to get to from the airport. Actually how do you get from the airport, is it on metro?
Quicker on the Aero Bus which stops outside the terminal and will drop you at Plaza España, on Granvia near Urgell od at Plaça Cataluña - saves the walk to the station at the airport and the schlep from Sants to the Metro. Its 4 or 5 euros.

If youre in skinflint mode it is possible to get the service bus ti Plaza España for the price of a Metro tickt.

Recommend you buy a T10 metro ticket which works out at just short of €7 for 10 rided on the Metro, The buses, the Funicular railway from Paral-lel to Monjuic and the Cercanias and Renfe Trains that run through the zone.

If uoi do a journey thats say, bus, metro, bus it counts a 1 trip if you get off and n within 40 minutes - magic

Do try to see the fountains theyre worth seeing, explore the Barrio Gotico, try a meal at Maians on Carrer St Carles, 28 in Barceloneta and avoid the Ramblas - beware Mrs Tad will catch on quick that shopping goes on til 2200.

Eldeano stayed in a smart pad just off Pl Cataluña - maybe pm him...

Hostal Barcelona is clean, cheap and in a nice barrio (its a small family hotel or pension if you like not a hostal at all) B&B only - on the corner of C Roser and Carrer de Blai - Blai is a great street - pedestrianised with Bars/estaurants.

Also try Can Eusebio on Vila i Vila near Parallel metro station for lunch or tapas - bottle of Estrella€1 and kicking if the footy's on

Have a walk round the Sagrada Familia but dont go in, though I believe its less of a building site now

Anyway - heres an article on the subject

http://www.notesfromspain.com/2008/0...dos-and-donts/
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:39 PM   #7
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy.annabel View Post
I definitely recommend looking in to apartments to rent, too.

2 of the 3 times I've stayed in Barcelona, I stayed at the Arkupe Apartments. It's right by the Barcelona França train station, it's super easy to walk anywhere downtown from there, but there's a metro stop not too far as well. My most favourite restaurant *ever* (La Taberna del Cobre) is a 4 minute walk away, and I've always felt safe there walking around by myself (I'm a female in my early 20s). The apartments are clean, and the staff (well, I've only met 3 of them) have been very nice and helpful. I've really enjoyed staying there!
I know other people who have also stayed in apartments, and they've enjoyed it as well. It's a fun experience!

Great area - close enough to walk to El Born - great night out.

Dont get enticed to the Olympic Harbour its more of a guiri trap...
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:48 PM   #8
Legazpi
Mega Forero

I've rented from this lot in Madrid before and was happy with the deal:

http://www.rent4days.com
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 01:35 AM   #9
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Don't bother with Barcelona. Come with us to Madrid next Whit week. Prices still cheap with EasyJet.

Oh, and by the way, my apartment in Barcelona was fantastic.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 02:10 PM   #10
kenpeace
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldeano View Post
Come with us to Madrid next Whit week. Prices still cheap with EasyJet.
GME?

More details please.
kenpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 06:00 PM   #11
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Quicker on the Aero Bus which stops outside the terminal and will drop you at Plaza España..../
Cheers Gazza, you really are barça expert man.
Old 4th October 2010, 06:11 PM   #12
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.myapartmentsisconsiderablybiggerthenyours View Post
Don't bother with Barcelona. Come with us to Madrid next Whit week. Prices still cheap with EasyJet.

Oh, and by the way, my apartment in Barcelona was fantastic.
Looks nice but a bit extravagant for 2 of us.
What are you doing in Madrid?
Old 31st October 2010, 11:08 PM   #13
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mymissusisn'tworthabitofextravagancenowandagain View Post
Looks nice but a bit extravagant for 2 of us.
What are you doing in Madrid?
It was just right for only me.

I am taking Mrs Gato to Madrid for a few days and Gazza and Mrs Gazza are coming along too. Should be nice and hot.

I'm also dragging my cuñado over for a break in late April.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote