Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th July 2010, 02:30 PM   #121
KieranLFC
Forero
 
KieranLFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Durham, North East England
Posts: 9
Default

See, I personally think the smoking ban we have here in the UK has got it right.
Have designated areas for us smokers to go to, that way you're not walking into somewhere with a haze of smoke when you go to a bar/cafe etc.

I don't mind having to go outside, I know it's a horrible habit and that I should have never have started especially being young! But, it's a love/hate thing for me.

But I totally get where anti-smokers are coming from with Spain, I've been smoking for... about 5 years (Yeah, if you saw my age around you're most likely going to flip out) and even I couldn't go into some places when I was in Barcelona in September. It's nice being able to smoke in a quiet bar with not many people in, but some places are just ridiculous.
KieranLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 03:04 PM   #122
Tumbit
Forero
 
Tumbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 45
Default

Personally, I respect everybody's right to choose whether they smoke or not, and it doesn't really bother me. On the occassions that I do want to be away from a a smoky atmosphere I choose a non-smoking bar to go to for that particular evening.
What does bother me, is when on the rare occassions that I do just that, there is some ar** puffing away on a ciggie making my throat and eyes sting and my clothes stink. I enjoy a pint or two of beer, that's my right, and that too comes with a by-product. How would the smokers in that situation like it if I was to stand on a table and p**s over their hair, eyes and clothes ?
Tumbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 06:27 PM   #123
MCP
Super Forero
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 137
Default

I would be interested to know where the non-smoking bars are in Valencia (and I'm talking about bars, not hotels or bakeries), as I've lived here for 11 years and hardly know any.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 06:35 PM   #124
richardksa
Jedi Forero
 
richardksa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madrid
Posts: 1,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbit View Post
......is when on the rare occassions that I do just that, there is some ar** puffing away on a ciggie making my throat and eyes sting and my clothes stink.
Any smoker that does that is wrong. We just want to enjoy our ciggies just as much as you want to enjoy a smoke free atmosphere. The problem with all the new legislation is that the non-smoking advocates keep moving the goalposts.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 07:54 AM   #125
gary
Samuri Forero
 
gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 2,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbit View Post
Personally, I respect everybody's right to choose whether they smoke or not, and it doesn't really bother me. On the occassions that I do want to be away from a a smoky atmosphere I choose a non-smoking bar to go to for that particular evening.
What does bother me, is when on the rare occassions that I do just that, there is some ar** puffing away on a ciggie making my throat and eyes sting and my clothes stink. I enjoy a pint or two of beer, that's my right, and that too comes with a by-product. How would the smokers in that situation like it if I was to stand on a table and p**s over their hair, eyes and clothes ?
Hi - I joined the forum in the first few weeks that it existed, I am a non smoker, my views are well documented here. I am something of a liberal on this topic and do believe that if the smokers were not allowed in the bars that all the non smokers want to go into the bars would simply cease to be the bars to go to....
When I finally shuffle off my mortal coil I would definitely wish to be with the jazz musicians not the non smokers....
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 09:33 AM   #126
Tumbit
Forero
 
Tumbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 45
Default

Richard / Gary, I agree with you both - even though I am a non-smoker I can't quite seem to enjoy a pint in a smoke free environment, however, from time to time I fancy eating in a bar that isn't overly smoky. I just think it should be black and white for the sake of clarity, plus it gets embarassing when I am in a bar and some "Guiri" tries to reason with a Spaniard over not smoking in a dining area, and then making a show about flapping their hands about in an attempt to waft the smoke away.
Tumbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 01:12 PM   #127
KieranLFC
Forero
 
KieranLFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Durham, North East England
Posts: 9
Default

I hate eating with lots of people smoking around me, even though I am a smoker.
In all fairness, even though a lot of people on here are saying "People won't take too kindly to a smoking ban similar to in England" that's what everyone said when it first came around over here.
In my eyes, the ban has been a huge success, and I prefer not having my close absolutely reeking of smoke (Even though I love the smell of smoke, just not stale smoke)

I hope this has made sense... I started rambling on a bit.
KieranLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 11:57 PM   #128
Acosta
Mega Forero
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Hi - I joined the forum in the first few weeks that it existed, I am a non smoker, my views are well documented here. I am something of a liberal on this topic and do believe that if the smokers were not allowed in the bars that all the non smokers want to go into the bars would simply cease to be the bars to go to....
When I finally shuffle off my mortal coil I would definitely wish to be with the jazz musicians not the non smokers....

I second you on that one.
Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 08:42 PM   #129
Urgellenk
Super Forero
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 137
Default

The Smoking Ban Act has been adopted today by the Congreso (Lower Chamber of the Spanish Parliament). When it enters into force on Jan 2, the new law will ban smoking in every indoor public place, including bars, clubs, restaurants, stations and airports - there will be no longer designated smoking areas. Smoking on the street will still be allowed (including sidewalk cafes and terraces), but not in front of hospitals and in children playgrounds. Hotels may still allocate as many as 30% of their rooms to smokers, but they must be always the same rooms and clearly indicated.
Urgellenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Learn REAL Spanish now!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.