Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 6th May 2006, 01:44 PM   #21
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

I've only seen Almodovar's "Tie me up Tie me down". I have been deficient in seeking out film from Spain.

Last edited by ValenciaSon; 4th June 2006 at 02:10 PM.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 09:15 PM   #22
deleste
Forero

Book - Homage To Catalonia
Films - The Devil's Backbone, Land and Freedom (albeit not a spanish film, I suppose)

Bit of a Guerra Civil theme for me.
deleste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2006, 09:53 PM   #23
Marbella

Default Camilo José Cela: Journey to the Alcarria

I rediscovered this today and it is such a lovely book. I´ve only the English translation and I must get a copy in Spanish soon. If you´d like to get a feel of Spanish life (Madrid and then the Alcarria) 60 years ago then you´ll enjoy this. Like all the best books about Spain, it´s not so much about the area and the landscape but about the people.

I reread the first couple of chapters today and I still like the description of his early morning walk to the station (Atocha) at the start of the journey. From his house in Madrid, along by the Retiro to Alcalá, Cibeles, Paseo del Prado...

I particularly like this line:

"The traveler (Cela) has his own philosophy of walking; he believes that everything that comes along is always the best thing that could happen."
Old 3rd June 2006, 10:02 PM   #24
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo
I have just read "Mi pais inventado" by Isabel Allende and would highly recommend her books, particularly if you are learning spanish as they are fairly easy to read.
True! I have read all of Isabel Allende's books in Spanish, including her children's books and the autobiography you mentioned. A couple of months ago I read 'Ciudad de los prodigios' by Eduardo Mendoza, and it proved to be a much tougher read. Right now I am reading 'La guerra del fin del mundo' by Mario Vargas Llosa.

Favorite book about Spain: Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell
Favorite Spanish movie: Mar adentro

I have also read Iberia by James Michener but I didn't really like the book because he spent too much time writing about how much he liked bullfights. Just like Hemingway.

Last edited by Edith; 3rd June 2006 at 10:05 PM.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 09:18 AM   #25
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith
Favorite book about Spain: Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell
Mine too, top of the list!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 09:42 AM   #26
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
Mine too, top of the list!
What a coincidence! I really liked the book because Orwell debunks lots of myths about warfare in general.

Last edited by Edith; 8th June 2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 5th June 2006, 07:39 PM   #27
neskadebilbao
Forero Senior

I just finished a Quijote class last semester...in Spanish..both volumes. Not exactly the most exciting book, but I am proud to sad that I accomplished that.

I enjoyed the play "Historia de una escalera" by Vallejo. If anyone watches Aquí no hay quien viva you will be able to relate.

"Todos nacemos vascos" is also funny and gives you a look at Basque humor.

Although I have yet to read it, I heard ¨La sombra del viento¨ is a good one too.

Last edited by neskadebilbao; 7th June 2006 at 06:22 PM.
neskadebilbao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 10:02 PM   #28
celia s
Forero Senior

Default Best book

'Barcelona',by Robert Hughes;a very extensive discussion of Barcelona's culture and history.
I have just ordered a copy of 'Goya',by the same artist.
Can anyone recommend any Spanish audio books?
celia s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 10:16 PM   #29
guapo
Mega Forero

The Goya book by Robert Hughes is also a great read, especially if you get the chance to visit Madrid and go see some of the paintings in the Prado. Explains a lot of the history behind events like "El Dos de Mayo".
guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 06:29 PM   #30
neskadebilbao
Forero Senior

I was just curious to know if anyone has seen "Princesas" and what their opinion was of it. Also, does anyone know where it was filmed?

And apart from that I wanted to know if anyone knew of some good Spanish television series apart from Cuéntame como pasó and Aquí no hay quien viva that are available for purchase.
neskadebilbao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 10:01 PM   #31
Netsirksmada
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon
I've only seen Almodovar's "Tie me up Tie me down". I have been deficient in seeking out film from Spain.
Matador isn't bad
Netsirksmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 10:02 PM   #32
Netsirksmada
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by neskadebilbao
I was just curious to know if anyone has seen "Princesas" and what their opinion was of it. Also, does anyone know where it was filmed?

And apart from that I wanted to know if anyone knew of some good Spanish television series apart from Cuéntame como pasó and Aquí no hay quien viva that are available for purchase.
I've heard of that, I think it's playing at the Seattle International Film Festival in fact...
Netsirksmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 11:01 PM   #33
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by neskadebilbao
...apart from that I wanted to know if anyone knew of some good Spanish television series apart from Cuéntame como pasó and Aquí no hay quien viva that are available for purchase.
Unfortunately, "good Spanish television series" is a bit of a contradiction in terms!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 12:53 PM   #34
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
Unfortunately, "good Spanish television series" is a bit of a contradiction in terms!
Looking at Canal 5, it appears that much of the programming is poorly-translated American tripe.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 01:08 PM   #35
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

After all these years, why can't they make a good tv series in Spain? There's no shortage of talent or creativity. Is spanish tv overly dependent on foreign programs?
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 07:45 PM   #36
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon
After all these years, why can't they make a good tv series in Spain? There's no shortage of talent or creativity. Is spanish tv overly dependent on foreign programs?
Thank goodness for Cuéntame cómo pasó. I'm still enjoying the DVDs! I'd like to see more, though - right now, nothing beats the BBC or PBS.
Old 24th January 2007, 11:39 AM   #37
José Miguel
Mega Forero

Default PENINSULAR WAR

Sobre la guerra que los españoles llaman "de la Independencia" y los británicos "Peninsular War" ha aparecido el libro "La Guerra de la Independencia vista por los británicos (1808-1814)" que contiene muchos y variados testimonios sobre las gentes y tierras que vieron los militares británicos que lucharon en España contra Napoleón.
José Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 07:40 PM   #38
Dilano
Forero

There is a series of detective novels set in Seville which are a cracking read. Although the writer's English, he has a great sense of location and the main character, the superbly named Javier Falcon, is your classic melancholy detective. Three have been written so far: The Silent and the Damned, The Blind man of Seville and The Hidden Assassins.

A wonderful book for anyone wanting to get under the skin of modern Spain and the changes that have occured since the Civil war is The Ghosts of Spain by Giles Tremlett, the Madrid correspondant for the Guardian. It's a really iluminating read and really unveils the contradictions in Spanish society.

Most of the great modern Spanish films have already been mentioned, but five years ago I saw a movie called Nadie conoce a nadie with Eduardo Noriega. It's a superb piece of paranoid cinema set in Seville during La Semana Santa.

Finally, about twenty or so years ago, there was a strike on BBC or ITV one saturday evening. I was about 10 and was allowed to stay up for Match of the Day or whatever. Instead, we sat transfixed for 40 minutes watching an utterly terrifying, almost silent 1970's Spanish movie called La Cabina, about a man trapped in a telephone box. I had almost forgotten about it when I read about how a whole generation of British kids had been utterly freaked out by that movie. My brother managed to download a copy from YouTube and it's still one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen not least for the lead actor's moustache and 70's flared beige trousers!
Dilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 08:54 PM   #39
eldeano
He's the most tip top

I was invited for tea (to meet the husband) by a madrileña and after the initial introductions we sat down to watch his favourite film which he just had to show me. It was in black and white and showed a man becoming converted into an ETA member and then being involved in the assassination of Carrero Blanco. I struggled to keep up with it at times but it was worth it in the end. The other two fell asleep!

Grateful for the title of this if anyone knows.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 06:12 AM   #40
junknira
sueñodegalicia

Default booksnfilms

reading 'the stone raft' by saramago, also liked homage to catalonia

i guess Vacas is my favorite, tho bunuel's land w/out bread is up there
junknira is offline   Reply With Quote