Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 13th August 2010, 03:20 PM   #1
mightykaboosh
Mega Forero

Default Tips for remembering verbs

I wrote down a verb the other day "derramar" "to spill" and I've got it on a scrap of paper by my pc and I just can't seem to remember it. If I was to hear it or see it I'd remember it.

BUT if I try to link it to David James, Paul Robinson or Robert Green I can't recall the word, no matter how hard I try.

I'm looking for tips/ methods to improve this area of my learning. I've got a core group of verbs that I'm comfortable with, and the rest I read, look up and then forget, in that order.
mightykaboosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 03:43 PM   #2
LindaM
Forero

I have the same problem. I cannot ever remember what tener ganas means. I writing down phrases with it, but still forget. And I keep saying expectación (which I don't think exists) for expectation, when it should be expectativa.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 03:52 PM   #3
SrCandas
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightykaboosh View Post
I wrote down a verb the other day "derramar" "to spill" and I've got it on a scrap of paper by my pc and I just can't seem to remember it. If I was to hear it or see it I'd remember it.

BUT if I try to link it to David James, Paul Robinson or Robert Green I can't recall the word, no matter how hard I try.

I'm looking for tips/ methods to improve this area of my learning. I've got a core group of verbs that I'm comfortable with, and the rest I read, look up and then forget, in that order.
I can only over come these memory blocks with association of the Spanish word. I like your Robert Green but that just leads me to 'spill'

I'd go: O dear creating a sea. and that might get me 'derra + mar. Sometimes you can find an easy one . I remember from 25 years ago opening the draw and seeing the car horn = cajon. Thanks Paul Daniels for that one, not a lot

Last edited by SrCandas; 13th August 2010 at 04:10 PM.
SrCandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 10:58 PM   #4
mightykaboosh
Mega Forero

I think I'm going to have to try this picture association method. I know memory champions use it to remember.

I just think that to do it you have to be quite a creative person and discount the verb endings.

If the World Memory champion can remember the card order for 26 packs of cards. Then a bit of Spanish should be a doddle.
mightykaboosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 02:11 AM   #5
Uriel
Mega Forero

I have the same problem with @#%$$# "otorgar" but the others are easy for me 'cause I hear 'em all the time:

Derrame -- constantly in the Spanish-language news regarding that little BP faux pas off our southern coast; it also means "stroke", as in a hemorrhage in the brain. Great visuals, both of those. Stuff spouting out where it shouldn't be.

I find that I pick up a lot of vocabulary in news stories, because they tend to use the same stock words over and over, and because they use them in context, so you can figure them out without having to always look them up. Nice reinforcement.

Tener ganas -- to really, really, really want something. Can't think of any kind of cognate there, but I get to hear it all the time in conversation, as my bf is always saying "tengo muchas ganas de verte",and well, positive association sticks anything in your mind, right?

It's confusing because it looks like a form of ganar -- to earn/to win -- but apparently ganas has little to do with ganar:

ga·nas Feminine - Noun - Plural
  1. desire; Synonyms: ansia, deseo, gana, pasión, tentación, apetito, aspiración; Anhelo, pasión, deseo vehemente.
http://www.wordmagicsoft.com/dictionary/es-en/ganas.php

So sometimes I find that making the wrong association makes it harder, not easier, to remember something. Your brain fights it.

Last edited by Uriel; 14th August 2010 at 02:15 AM.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 03:08 AM   #6
reyeszjj
Forero

for tengo ganas, another similar sentence is "me muero de ganas de verte"

for learning vocabulary, i don't think there's a better way than using it in real conversation. Brutal memorization might be useful, but sometimes you just memorized what it means, not how to use it

Just try to use it or capture it in the conversation, then, it will be very difficult for you to forget this phrase
reyeszjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightykaboosh View Post

Whenever I find I keep forgetting a verb then I try to look for an alternative.

Instead of "derramar" I think you could get away with "tirar" (which means many things, including "to throw"):

He tirado el agua sobre el suelo - I've "thrown" water over the floor

or, maybe better, you could use the "se me ha caído" construct that was discussed in another thread the other day:

se me ha caído el agua sobre el suelo - I've "dropped" water over the floor

Verbs like "derramar" aren't as commonly used as "tirar" and "caer" so I find it's better to be creative with the commonly used verbs to begin with (you'll still be understood) and then move on to the less common verbs when you feel ready.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote