Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 16th August 2008, 06:07 PM   #41
vchaniv
Forero

I'm with you...
vchaniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 06:16 PM   #42
vchaniv
Forero

South America may be fine and charming, but people are just not as naive as they used to be. No matter where you go, things are not the way they used to be. People are more educated now, either through formal education or TV and Internet. I think all countries have their charming and their ugly side. You just have to find what is that you really want in your life.
vchaniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 07:09 PM   #43
Jon Hundt
Super Forero

Default I feel that way sometimes...

when I have a bad day, I get really nasty about Holland. I work outdoors - painting houses - and sometimes I have weeks in a row where the weather sucks. Then I start thinking that everything about Holland sucks, and wondering why I am living here.

If I'm smart, I remember where I came from: 6 or 8 homicides per week-end, car-jacking, armed robbery, and now property foreclosure-mania. Oh yeah... now I remember why I liked Holland!

Whoever wrote that message to you is having a pretty bad time, I guess. Something must have posessed the writer to move to the north of Spain. I hope that he/she figures out what is wrong and finds a way to fix it; or that he/she finds a way to get out and get on to the next place.
Jon Hundt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 08:39 PM   #44
MrMark
Convert to vinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenox View Post
I guess Spain hasn't improved from my point of view. In the old days it was different, funky, cheap, anarchist and splendid. Now it's another European country. With decent weather and nice people, but as B B King says - 'the thrill has gone'.
Rather than go to Devon, a huge step backwards, perhaps it's time to look at South America.
Well there aren't as many people living in shanty towns on the edges of cities like there used to be, and it doesn't seem quite so cheap now that the standard of living has improved. I feel that economically Spain has improved a lot over the last 30 years, and the infra-structure is miles better. As for thrills - unfortunately they're still there - is that pick-pocket going to get you on this trip? Is that mafia gang ready to pounce on your villa? Trouble is, certain parts of central and southern America are in a far worse state - which is why so many have migrated to Spain. I think Spain is still "different" though. Free tapas/flamenco/fiestas/invitations etc. The thrill for me never goes, and in fact intensifies as years go on. All subjective though I suppose...
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 10:08 AM   #45
allan
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
Poor guy! Couldn't they have moved to another town instead?
Here in Sanlucar it's very rare for anyone to move away. That's an insult
to your family. Admittedly this is a small provincial town and Madrid is a
big city, but the family may have moved there from the provinces. It's possible his partner could have found it difficult to move.

Allan
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 10:19 AM   #46
allan
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
I think Spain is still "different" though. Free tapas/flamenco/fiestas/invitations etc.
MrMark! Methinks you have been exiled from Spain too long. Apart from
the odd plate of olives I can't remember the last time I had free tapas.
And I do spend a lot of my time in bars.

Allan
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:22 AM   #47
rod
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
MrMark! Methinks you have been exiled from Spain too long. Apart from
the odd plate of olives I can't remember the last time I had free tapas.
And I do spend a lot of my time in bars.

Allan

Granada and Granada province you still get free tapas. May only be bread and jamon and not quite what would you get if you ordered and paid for a tapas, but round here I'd be surprised if I went into a bar and bought a drink and didn't get free tapas with it.
rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:35 AM   #48
allan
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod View Post
Granada and Granada province you still get free tapas. May only be bread and jamon and not quite what would you get if you ordered and paid for a tapas, but round here I'd be surprised if I went into a bar and bought a drink and didn't get free tapas with it.
Good heavens, I'm living in the wrong part of Spain. Still, we've got
the manzanilla for consolation.
I remember Granada being my favourite town for tapas - they were
quite inventive. But this was many years, indeed decades ago. Last time
I was there they were pretty thin on the ground. Sounds like things have picked up since then.

Allan
Old 23rd August 2008, 08:15 PM   #49
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
Here in Sanlucar it's very rare for anyone to move away. That's an insult
to your family. Admittedly this is a small provincial town and Madrid is a
big city, but the family may have moved there from the provinces. It's possible his partner could have found it difficult to move.

Allan
Quite a contrast to the US, where people move from one state to the next on a regular basis.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 10:24 PM   #50
yunouguaramin
IYKWIM

Quote:
I think Spain is massively overated. I've lived here 12 years, in Galicia, which is probably the worse part. If your quality of life values cordiality, politeness, pretty countryside, villages, arquitecture, manners, honesty, etc etc, then do not consider living in Spain. Unless you are young free and single, and need to get pissed till 5 in the morning,or old and retired and need the sun next to your English pub, Spain is a truly repugnant and unfriendly, and in Galicia's case,a grotty complexed shit hole!. Everything is annoying from the tv and radio, to the civil servants, hideous countryside, peasant locals with attitude, the list is endless! If you really must emigrate try Canada. If not, set up life in Devon. Now that, is pretty damn perfect. I am writing a book on the subject of the real Spain, as in the truth, so feel free to ask questions.
Quote:
Oh and ps; If I've offended any Spaniards, then good! You deserve it.
Yes, we deserve it, and much more than this.

A bit of fresh air, after all that "how wonderful, nice, amazing, incredibe etc etc".
Sometimes I thought if I was an angel born, raised and living in the perfect paradise.
NOOOO!!!. We are only normal persons and Spain is part of planet Earth.
(fortunately for you, rest of uncertain humans).

Quote:
O tolo que di que esta ata os collons disto, pero non da marchado.
eh! esto es gallego ¿no?.
"Otro que dice que está hasta los cojones de esto, pero no se va."

"o tolo"... como mola!!
yunouguaramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 12:55 PM   #51
Andy Woolley
Peña Internet CD Tenerife

I've had free tapas in a number of places quite recently. On a couple of occasions when I have politely declined as I am a veggie and they were meat or fish a replacement then appeared a few minutes later.

In Granada a couple of years ago 5 of us were given a plate which was almost a meal in itself on more than one occasion.

As for not liking Spain - everyone to their own opinion and as I work in Devon and live in Somerset I can compare directly for our anonymous e-mailer. The fact is that they are both different and great although the football is better in Spain even though Exeter City are back in the football league this season !!!!

Like most countries Spain is not a homogenous monolith and has all the regional, cultural, political, etc. nuances of any dynamic and vibrant country. One of my motivations for improving my Spanish is that it enables me to explore them more fully in conversation, reading on the web and in newspapers, etc.

Maybe our correspondent never tried to find out what has been going on around him - many ex-pats are like that not bothering to learn the language but surviving by using others from the ex-pat community although I would have thought that was less possible in Galicia than on the Costas.

Andy Woolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 10:58 PM   #52
Legazpi
Mega Forero

I get free tapas in every bar I go to in Madrid, even my local Irish pub will give me something to pick at. Same goes for virtually every inland place I've visited in Spain, apart from a pretty village in Salamanca called "La Alberca" where I was informed that none of the bars will give you a tapas. Never found out why.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 07:07 AM   #53
saiguanas
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
Quite a contrast to the US, where people move from one state to the next on a regular basis.
Only in states that suck. Seriously, there are less ties for some than others. Some you ask where they are from and they start listing places they've lived but none that they are "from". It's probably more common in the northeast where states are much smaller. You could move to Connecticut and still work in NY or moving from Philly to Delaware is an hour away. It would take me about 4 hours just to get out of Texas going east and about 7-8 hours going west.

Careers are another thing that drives people to move around. I'd rather make a living somewhere that I'm happy than be rich somewhere that I'm miserable.

One thing that I don't like about globalization is the way things become too similar. It's nice to be able to have a coca-cola wherever you are in the world but the whole point of travelling is to see things that are different. I don't want to watch CNN World or eat at McDonald's (though I do when on the run) or stay at Holiday Inn.

I've been all over the US and the world and the more I see, the more I appreciate MY home. That doesn't mean that I don't absolutely love some of the places that I've been or expect you to love my home as much as I do. It just means that "there's no place like home."

p.s. usually places that I think I'm going to like, I don't and places that I think I'll hate, I love.

Last edited by saiguanas; 26th August 2008 at 07:12 AM.
saiguanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 08:01 PM   #54
Cortez
Forero

Devon isn't all that. I'd rather be in Spain anyway!
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote