Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 16th July 2006, 06:19 PM   #41
Marina
NFS Admin

ValenciaSon, the video is revolting!!! I don't think I could try criadillas these days. My mother used to feed my brother an my criadillas when we were very small because they are supposed to have lots of nutritive stuff

Bacalao is one of the best fish you can have if it is propely cooked, while any of you is in the Basque country don't miss Bacalao al pil pil. It's wonderful!!
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2006, 06:34 PM   #42
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina
ValenciaSon, the video is revolting!!! I don't think I could try criadillas these days. My mother used to feed my brother an my criadillas when we were very small because they are supposed to have lots of nutritive stuff

Bacalao is one of the best fish you can have if it is propely cooked, while any of you is in the Basque country don't miss Bacalao al pil pil. It's wonderful!!
¿Que quiere decir el frase "al pil pil?" He visto gambas al pil pil, pero no sé que significa.

I agree that bacalao is tremendously good.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2006, 07:40 PM   #43
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by neskadebilbao
I have a question for Ben and the other foreros. ¿Os gusta el bacalao? I have picked up the idea that Ben is not too fond of seafood (is this true?) and I was wondering about this.

Also I wanted to know how the food in Madrid compared to that of Northern Spain. I am probably the only extranjera that will not eat seafood of any kind--which left me s.o.l. in the Basque Country. Paella hecha con pollo, sandwiches mixtos (aka sandwich de jamón y queso), tortilla de huevo, jamón y queso y carne frita con tomate se hicieron amigos conmigo muy rápidamente.
Not much, no! I like what they call 'pescado blanco', fish which isn't too strong, like sea bass, but I really don't like seafood (I really have tried too!)
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2006, 07:42 PM   #44
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
¿Que quiere decir el frase "al pil pil?" He visto gambas al pil pil, pero no sé que significa.

I agree that bacalao is tremendously good.
al pil pil means it's with thick green sauce, but I have now idea what's in it! Hopefully Marina will see this thread and enlighten us!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2006, 09:39 PM   #45
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
al pil pil means it's with thick green sauce, but I have now idea what's in it! Hopefully Marina will see this thread and enlighten us!
So pil pil is not the same as piri-piri?
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2006, 09:51 PM   #46
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina
ValenciaSon, the video is revolting!!! I don't think I could try criadillas these days. My mother used to feed my brother an my criadillas when we were very small because they are supposed to have lots of nutritive stuff That's why I didn't post it in CFS

Everybody keeps telling me how wonderful bacalao is all my life but I just find it too salty. I've had bacalao where it's been in remojo overnight and aun lo encuentro demasiado salado! But I do like fish. I like the tuna from Spain. When living in Spain I use to have as an afterschool snack empanadillas made with tuna, chopped red pepper and I think some tomato sauce. When I get to Spain, if given the opportunity, I would be willing to try bacalao pil pil.
My overall favorite fish is catfish cajun style. That one you should try if you can get a hold of some cajun cuisine. Is there any cajun cuisine in Spain?
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2006, 10:22 PM   #47
Marina
NFS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Al pil pil is a sauce that it's done with olive oil and the juices of the bacalao after it's been cooked. To blend this thik sauce one adds the oil little by little while moving the earthware plate where the cod has been cooked. I've never cooked it myself but I think it must be quite tricky. Actually I have to invite one of my friends from the basque country to share her mother recipie with us in a podcast.
Old 21st July 2006, 10:49 PM   #48
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Hola Marina, que tal? Podeis podcastear la preparacion de alli'oli?
Old 21st July 2006, 11:58 PM   #49
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

[quote=Marina]ValenciaSon, the video is revolting!!! I don't think I could try criadillas these days. My mother used to feed my brother an my criadillas when we were very small because they are supposed to have lots of nutritive stuff

Does that mean you won't add criadillas to the lista soon?
Old 22nd July 2006, 04:11 AM   #50
osvaldo
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon
Everybody keeps telling me how wonderful bacalao is all my life but I just find it too salty. I've had bacalao where it's been in remojo overnight and aun lo encuentro demasiado salado! But I do like fish. I like the tuna from Spain. When living in Spain I use to have as an afterschool snack empanadillas made with tuna, chopped red pepper and I think some tomato sauce. When I get to Spain, if given the opportunity, I would be willing to try bacalao pil pil.
My overall favorite fish is catfish cajun style. That one you should try if you can get a hold of some cajun cuisine. Is there any cajun cuisine in Spain?
ValeciaSon,

I have also had the salty bacalao, and I think it has everything to do with the salt curing process. My mother use to buy it cured in salt, and no matter how long she soaked it in water, it never completely lost that salty taste, or that sort of rubbery texture. All of that unpleasantness goes away by simply buying a fresh piece of fillet from a good fish market - I promise you, you'll end up liking it as much as catfish.

By the way, the best piece of fish I've ever had in my life was at Yandiola Restaurant in Bilbao - it was ETHEREAL!
osvaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2006, 12:22 PM   #51
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Well Osvaldo, I will have to find me a fresh fillet of bacalao and try some. I will have to keep Yandiola restaurant in mind if/when I'm in Bilbao.
Old 22nd July 2006, 05:22 PM   #52
osvaldo
Forero

Cool!
osvaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2006, 07:27 PM   #53
Bolboreta
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith
Squid and octopus should be a la plancha, not boiled.
*laughs hysterically* You're kidding right? The most famous octopus is the pulpo á feira which is a Galician dish. If you don't like boiled food, never ever go to a Galician household (restaurants are safe, don't worry, we've got lots of dishes that aren't boiled stuff). A typical meal in my house is some kind of boiled vegetable (it varies) with tons of boiled potatoes, and then boiled fish with more boiled potatoes (have I mentioned I don't eat potatoes?). Sure, the first dish might be some sort of legume instead, and we do eat fried meat and fish too... but the likelyhood of at least encountering one of the "boiled potato dishes" is just too high! I was therefore highly amused when I found this wikipedia article.

And I'd love to see you all eating "filloas de sangue" *laughs* Maybe you'd believe they're made of chocolate... I love them, but my own sister refuses to eat them (they're "crêpes" made with pig's blood instead of milk )
Bolboreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2006, 07:52 PM   #54
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolboreta
*laughs hysterically* You're kidding right? The most famous octopus is the pulpo á feira which is a Galician dish. If you don't like boiled food, never ever go to a Galician household (restaurants are safe, don't worry, we've got lots of dishes that aren't boiled stuff). A typical meal in my house is some kind of boiled vegetable (it varies) with tons of boiled potatoes, and then boiled fish with more boiled potatoes (have I mentioned I don't eat potatoes?). Sure, the first dish might be some sort of legume instead, and we do eat fried meat and fish too... but the likelyhood of at least encountering one of the "boiled potato dishes" is just too high! I was therefore highly amused when I found this wikipedia article.

And I'd love to see you all eating "filloas de sangue" *laughs* Maybe you'd believe they're made of chocolate... I love them, but my own sister refuses to eat them (they're "crêpes" made with pig's blood instead of milk )
The main thing which worries me is the pulpo's rubbery texture! But perhaps I should give it a try first.

Traditional Dutch cuisine is like that, lots of boiled stuff, but Galician cuisine is probably much more varied. I have to admit I stir-fry or grill most of my food, and I eat more pasta and rice than potatoes... I like crispy food and raw or roasted veggies! Al dente, as the Italians say. I mainly use potatoes in salads, in tortillas and in casserole dishes. On the other hand, I do like to eat stews in the wintertime, with a touch of chile pepper to give them an exotic flavor.

P.s.: if you don't eat potatoes yourself, what do you use as a substitute?

Last edited by Edith; 22nd July 2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 22nd July 2006, 08:12 PM   #55
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
Not much, no! I like what they call 'pescado blanco', fish which isn't too strong, like sea bass, but I really don't like seafood (I really have tried too!)
Ben, you should try marlin! It tastes just like chicken breast.

Last week I tasted marlin for the first time in my life. Delicious! I grilled it, put some black pepper and sea salt on it, sprinkled it with lime and garnished it with sliced red chiles, sweet red onions and some fresh coriander. The ideal kind of fish for a summer BBQ, along with unpeeled potatoes wrapped in tinfoil and a fresh salad!
Old 22nd July 2006, 09:10 PM   #56
Bolboreta
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith
P.s.: if you don't eat potatoes yourself, what do you use as a substitute?
Mainly pasta, but I'm fine with just having the vegetables and the meat/fish (at my house there's always lots of fresh bread, so I get my carbs that way). And I don't eat tortilla española (the one with potatoes) but make it de calabacín (zuccini/courgette) instead, and my roomie didn't complain at all (it's sweeter, though)
Bolboreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2006, 09:57 PM   #57
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Mainly pasta, but I'm fine with just having the vegetables and the meat/fish (at my house there's always lots of fresh bread, so I get my carbs that way). And I don't eat tortilla española (the one with potatoes) but make it de calabacín (zuccini/courgette) instead, and my roomie didn't complain at all (it's sweeter, though)
Tortilla de calabacín, that sounds nice since I love zucchini! I will have to try that one too, it sounds very low-calorie. P.s.: I always put a bit of red bell pepper into my tortilla española because I'm addicted to bell peppers, especially the red ones. A meal without some bell pepper in it is not a meal!
Old 23rd July 2006, 12:46 AM   #58
neskadebilbao
Forero Senior

Quote:
A typical meal in my house is some kind of boiled vegetable (it varies) with tons of boiled potatoes, and then boiled fish with more boiled potatoes (have I mentioned I don't eat potatoes?).
Bolboreta...what do you eat with the potatoes? Ketchup? Sauce? They are quite dry by themselves....
neskadebilbao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 04:08 PM   #59
Marina
NFS Admin

Quote:
Does that mean you won't add criadillas to the lista soon?
I Don't think so
But we'll have alioli soon
Old 24th July 2006, 04:15 PM   #60
Marina
NFS Admin

Bolboreta, I understand that you don't like potatoes... but Tortilla the patata has such a great combination of ingredients. I also love to have mine with both the ingredients that you and Edith mentioned, courgettes and peppers, but I also keep the potatoes now that I remember we even podcasted it a very long time ago!!!

What's what you don't like of potatoes, taste or texture?