Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 14th September 2008, 08:42 PM   #1
gary
Samuri Forero

Default Sorry, I still dont get it...

Heres the latest Microsoft Ad... cant wait for the tag line

clearly made and edited on a PC
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Ben
Hero Forero

Marginally better, but still RIDICULOUS!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 09:13 PM   #3
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Marginally better
You think so?
Old 14th September 2008, 09:29 PM   #4
Ben
Hero Forero

Could hardly have been worse than that shoe business!!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 09:41 PM   #5
gtappend
Mega Forero

Is Microsoft sponsoring Comic Relief this year?
gtappend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 09:49 PM   #6
guapo
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtappend View Post
Is Microsoft sponsoring Comic Relief this year?
well they are supposed to be giving Seinfeld $10million so I guess at least one comic is laughing... all the way to the bank
guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 10:35 PM   #7
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Theatre of the absurd in the best Ionescu tradition. It reminds me of Gurney Slade from British TV in the 60s. Or some of the NF Wilson or early Tom Stoppard short plays. It obviously doesn't have to make sense - it has all you guys talking about it.
I think with BG standing down from the day to day running of microsoft the ad company have realised he is still their public face. So by running these short films, (you can't call them advertisemnets), they are keeping him in the public eye.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 10:46 PM   #8
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

I guess when your new OS fails to be embraced despite dominant market penetration, yadda, yadda...
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 11:18 PM   #9
gary
Samuri Forero

So did Estragon and Vladimir wait in vain - is Gates Godot?
Old 15th September 2008, 08:28 PM   #10
guapo
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
... It obviously doesn't have to make sense - it has all you guys talking about it.
good point. This has got extensive coverage from tech news sites, bloggers etc. and as we all know there is no such thing as bad publicity...
guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 02:13 AM   #11
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Ask yourself what was the tv show Seinfeld about?
Old 16th September 2008, 04:32 AM   #12
felipe
Forero

Default ?Y?

Makes perfect sense to me-but then I am Australian.
felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 07:52 AM   #13
gtappend
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
cant wait for the tag line
"I'm a PC"

apparently...
gtappend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 10:28 AM   #14
greytop
Hero Forero

The company said that it would be ending the campaign in favour of two new advertising strategies designed to tout the benefits of Windows Vista and strike back at Apple's 'Get a Mac' campaign.

and these guys get paid for thinking that up!
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 11:12 AM   #15
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

It turns out, after spending $30 million, Microsoft may not use the ads after all because they don't seem to convey the message clearly. At my job, we upgraded to Office 2007 (if you want to call that an upgrade). If Microsoft really wants to convey a message of quality or desirability, perhaps they wouldn't try to pass along an office suite with programs that are all flash and little substance. Has anybody used this version? Simple procedures to perform are less so because the user interface is so glitzy and cluttered, it approaches counter-intuitive. They could learn a thing or two from Apple. When it was announced at work we were going to the 2007 version of Office, someone asked if we were going to Vista, and the quick response was "no, absolutely not". Maybe Seinfeld is not the solution to Microsoft's woes.
Old 19th September 2008, 11:18 AM   #16
richardksa
Jedi Forero

The only part of Office 2007 I have used is Powerpoint while trying to make a presentation of my girlfriend's holiday photos. It is not at all user friendly. I went back to my own computer and used PP 2003 which is really very intuitive. If the rest of Office 2007 is like the PowerPoint part, I despair.
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 11:23 AM   #17
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
The only part of Office 2007 I have used is Powerpoint while trying to make a presentation of my girlfriend's holiday photos. It is not at all user friendly. I went back to my own computer and used PP 2003 which is really very intuitive. If the rest of Office 2007 is like the PowerPoint part, I despair.
Same experience on the Mac - The BEST feature of poweropint was that you could make a prsentation then elect to save it as a movie. This facility was there in Offoce 2008 mac (numbers are different for mac) but sound was lost so it was a waste of time - I have deinstalled 2008 and gone back to 2004.

The other thing is that when you draw a line - any line - the default is blue with a dropshadow - a real pain having to go into the guts of Office and edit the template. Youre right VS the Screenshot on the box looks good but using it's a pain

Tinkering for the sake of it....
Old 19th September 2008, 12:29 PM   #18
Beckett
Mega Forero

Default What is the deal with Microsoft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
It turns out, after spending $30 million, Microsoft may not use the ads after all because they don't seem to convey the message clearly.
And what was the message? To go shoe shopping with Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates? To pay a washed-up sitcom star from 10 years ago $10 million to make silly faces and pal around with Bill Gates? What on earth were they thinking in Redmond, Washington when they signed off on this ad campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
At my job, we upgraded to Office 2007 (if you want to call that an upgrade). If Microsoft really wants to convey a message of quality or desirability, perhaps they wouldn't try to pass along an office suite with programs that are all flash and little substance. Has anybody used this version? Simple procedures to perform are less so because the user interface is so glitzy and cluttered, it approaches counter-intuitive. They could learn a thing or two from Apple. When it was announced at work we were going to the 2007 version of Office, someone asked if we were going to Vista, and the quick response was "no, absolutely not". Maybe Seinfeld is not the solution to Microsoft's woes.
What is it with Microsoft? Do they actually use their own products in their own corporation? Sure doesn't seem like it. I can't imagine any of their top executives tolerating such crappy performance. I can't understand how Microsoft keeps stumbling over something that is its core product -- computer software.

Last edited by Beckett; 19th September 2008 at 12:33 PM.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 03:28 PM   #19
Palmerito
El Perro

Microsoft has announced that they are pulling the ads off the air.
Palmerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 03:22 AM   #20
felipe
Forero

Default My guess is...

I think that they were trying to be ironic and ended up laying it on with a trowel in a very American way.

It's like the news item about the first American to discover irony. The London Times sent a reporter to the US to ask him how it happened. The reporter was at the guy's house and the guy says that he was in London on Waterloo Bridge watching the pin stripe brigade going to work It was cold and wet and windy that day. One of them brushes past him and says, "Beautiful day what?"

The American guy exclaims,"Are you yanking my chain dude? It's cold, it's wet, it's.... Oh! I get it! That must be irony!"

The reporter asks the guy does he use his new found knowledge of irony regularly. "Why sure!", he replies. "Just the other day I was cooking some steaks on the BBQ for some guests. I got distracted and when I returned to the hotplate the steaks were all burned. I turned to my guests and said,'Beautiful day what!'".
felipe is offline   Reply With Quote