Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 13th August 2010, 04:07 PM   #1
SrCandas
Super Forero

Default Open University

Hi
I have a spanish wife who speaks little English and have thus informally and by crude methods (boring Spaniards to death in bars followed by boring my wife to death everywhere) dragged my spanish level up to a crude intermediate. But I now feel I should do some formal training that will force me to study grammar and the details and gain more accuracy.

I've tried various 'in your own time' approaches but with pressure of work and other distractions I need some outside force to assert a discipline upon me.

I've thought about following an Open University course. Has anyone any experience of this? My thinking is if I'm paying and there is a set requirement say weekly I'll treat it like work and do it

Any thoughts on the Open University or equivalent options greatly appreciated.
SrCandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 04:51 PM   #2
LindaM
Forero

I started "En Rumbo" with the Open University in 2001. I found it very good, but was surprised how low the level of Spanish was when I went to one of the workshops. Many there had completed the OU beginners course, but had had no other exposure to the language. It's also all things to all men as it includes South American Spanish as well as European Spanish. I was unable to continue as I moved to Spain and it isn't, quite rightly so, subsidised for non UK residents. If I had stayed in the UK, I would have continued with it.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 09:14 PM   #3
SrCandas
Super Forero

Linda Gracias. Very interesting. I think you've added to my doubts so I'll have to spread the net wider to find something.
Old 15th August 2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Legazpi
Mega Forero

I did the level 2 course "Viento en Popa" a few years ago. I found it useful because I had learnt Spanish in Spain, and in Spanish. So it was good to have some of the finer points explained to me in English, and it was good to practice writing Spanish. It was expensive though, partly because it included a week in Santiago (which was great fun). I remember doing a few Spanish evening classes when I lived in the UK, and to be honest I didn't get anywhere. They were so slow paced that I lost interest.

From my experience the best thing to do is spend a few weeks each year at Spanish schools in Spain, maybe backed up by evening classes or an OU course. You need to get over to Spain as much as possible to really practice and keep yourself motivated.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 09:15 PM   #5
SrCandas
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legazpi View Post
You need to get over to Spain as much as possible to really practice and keep yourself motivated.
Legazpi tengo una sevillana! Motivation of that type is not a problem . But time - well there's another thing .

But thanks for your thoughts. Sadly I need something "in your own time" (I simply travel too much to be anywhere say weekly). But equally with some sort of structure.

Well based on the offered opinions I've kicked the OU into touch and to get something going quickly splashed some dosh with Ben and Marina. I'm going to try and do an advanced podcast two a week. Sadly Ben and Marina don't offer a 'kick up the ....' option if you don't maintain the pace but we will see how it goes.