Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 6th July 2006, 04:08 PM   #21
Marbella

Default Murcielagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
There's an interesting story somewhere about the bat on the badge above and it's link with Valencia in general... I think I read it in Jason Webster's book about the Moors in Spain... Do you know anything about the Bat/Valencia link?
There is a legend about the Moors training bats (clever eh!) which they used to keep mosquitoes away from Valencia. It was said that as long as the city leader could fly a bat then the city would remain under Moorish rule. One day the top bat took a shine to the dragon on the hat of James 1 and once the bat was captured, the city fell to the Christians and the Moors scarpered.

Something like that anyway!
Old 6th July 2006, 04:56 PM   #22
Ben
Hero Forero

ah! thanks!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2006, 07:36 PM   #23
gary
Samuri Forero

Im not a great football officionado but Leeds United are my hometown team, sadly not in the prem. I like to see Barša win - I got some strange looks in the local when I raised my fists in celebration and uttered a Yesss!! when Barša stuck the winner past Chelsea earlier in the year. But I spend more time there than in London and I feel very at home there so why not?
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 05:02 PM   #24
rod
Mega Forero

I recently lived in Sevilla for four months (and hope to be back again very soon), so obviously:

BETIS

Who else is there?

Last edited by rod; 12th October 2006 at 05:05 PM.
rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 08:01 PM   #25
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el espa˝ol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod View Post
I recently lived in Sevilla for four months (and hope to be back again very soon), so obviously:

BETIS

Who else is there?

┐Sevilla?
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 07:23 AM   #26
Jonty83
Forero

Default Barca

The reason that many people I know are anti-Barca was demonstrated quite clearly in the Catalonia-Basque Country "International". Enough said.
Jonty83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 07:40 AM   #27
Ashley
Forero Senior

I've been following Real Madrid this season. I read Marca and AS online for daily reading practice, which is all Madrid, all the time. Do they even play football in Barcelona?

PS. Chris M, the Real Madrid website (www.realmadrid.com) posts most of their articles in both Spanish and English, so its great to use as a little daily translation exercise. The Barca website is not nearly as well done as Real's.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 09:17 AM   #28
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el espa˝ol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post

PS. Chris M, the Real Madrid website (www.realmadrid.com) posts most of their articles in both Spanish and English, so its great to use as a little daily translation exercise. The Barca website is not nearly as well done as Real's.
Reading this page, I came across "gracias a un excelente Guti y un enrachado Raúl, que marcó nuevamente." They translated "enrachado" as "tuned in".
A new word for me, so any extra comments from our native speakers? Can it mean "on form" "pumped up"?

Edit. OK thinking about it, I think I can answer my own question!
I can now see the root word is "racha" so "estar de racha" means to be on good form, going through a good phase.

Last edited by omeyas; 13th October 2006 at 10:08 AM.
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 11:08 AM   #29
Jonty83
Forero

Default Digital+

By the way does anyone watch the Premiership on Digital+? If so I'd be interested to hear your views on the commentators especially Duncan Shaw of course.
Old 13th October 2006, 12:45 PM   #30
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Here in the States it's very difficult to get any Spanish Primera Division on TV unless you subscribe to GolTV via the Dish Network. There may be a few other options, but it does require a few extra bucks per month.

I've had some luck finding a few live video streams over the Internet. A few weeks ago I watched Real Madrid, then Valencia played in the doubleheader.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 02:45 PM   #31
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Here in the States it's very difficult to get any Spanish Primera Division on TV unless you subscribe to GolTV via the Dish Network. There may be a few other options, but it does require a few extra bucks per month.

I've had some luck finding a few live video streams over the Internet. A few weeks ago I watched Real Madrid, then Valencia played in the doubleheader.
I've been getting Gol TV for free as of September on RCN cable. My father has been getting it for free for a year on DirecTv. GolTV is great! We get so much soccer that my uncle in Valencia called us in Maryand for the results of a Valencia Real Madrid game some time ago.

Now if only they would make the leap to High Definition!
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 04:00 PM   #32
Jonty83
Forero

Default HD Tele

Yeah, HD is unbelievable. In the UK it is available through SKY (for a lovely price....). As far as I know it is not here in Spain yet. Digital+ will be the first to sell it I imagine for the same "decent" price!!! I know of someone who watches or has watched footie in HD and it is meant to be like being in the stadium. I would imagine that in the US the difference will be even greater due to the poor quality analogue images you have. I have seen HD in a shop showing a wildlife documentary. WOW!!

But what makes me laugh is the thousands of Spanish buying HD ready TVs when we haven't got it yet and whilst the prices are coming down all the time. And then when HD transmission starts they'll have a fright at how much they have to pay!!! I imagine they think it will be included in the current packages they have - boy, are they in for a surprise!!!
Old 13th October 2006, 04:42 PM   #33
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Same thing happened in the US; folks (like me) buying HD sets but little or no HD content yet available. That was true in the US about 5 years ago but the HD content continues to grow. And yes, the analog resolutuion in the US (NTSC format) is lousy compared to to PAL, let alone HD. I hate watching analog and oly do so if I have to, like Gol TV or Battlestar Galactica on the Sci Fi network.

I imagine it won't be long before Spain has HDTV content in full market penetration.
Old 23rd January 2007, 10:59 PM   #34
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonluque View Post
Why would you support non-spanish soccer teams such as Barcelona or Real Madrid?? I mean, they just have two or three spanish players in each side...

If you want to support a real-spanish soccer team you have just one choice: BETIS!!

Actually, if you want a REAL Spanish football team then it's got to be Athletic, they only use Basque-born players.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 11:07 PM   #35
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Why does it matter where the players came from? I thought it was the talent they bring to the sport that matters.
Old 23rd January 2007, 11:22 PM   #36
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Why does it matter where the players came from? I thought it was the talent they bring to the sport that matters.

There are many reasons for supporting a team. My point was just to counter antonluque's argument that you should support Betis because they have predominantly Spanish players in their side, whilst Athletic only select Basque-born players.

Bolton put out a side recently with 11 players each of a different nationality and Arsenal have fielded complete teams with non-British players.
Old 23rd January 2007, 11:37 PM   #37
gary
Samuri Forero

I reckon there should be a rule, at least for traditional football countries that you can only support a club thats within 20 miles of where you were born...
Leeds Ut will return to glory!!
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 12:31 AM   #38
djS
4 Doors of Madrid

Will be in to Barca but think all spanish football would be very good and watch it every week
And love to go to matchs from la Liga to divisiones Regionales
and with canal i get get lot off football
jurdy
djS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 01:09 AM   #39
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

The game is much less interesting when the team players are geographically confined, The world cup demonstrated this. It seems like the best talent comes from certain areas in the world.
Old 24th January 2007, 09:54 AM   #40
eldeano
He's the most tip top

The oft-used argument made by the FA/journalists for the malaise of the England team is that the the cash-rich Premiership clubs can afford to buy proven foreign talent which stifles the development of young English players. There are exceptions but there isn't the same strength in depth as there was pre-Bosman.

It happened in Scotland, too. Hearts is virtually the Lithuanian national side!

The result is that we (the Premiership watchers) are treated to amazing football week in week out, but England supporters will have to accept that this will mean that we are unlikely to succeed in the World Cup or European Championships. If you look at the recent winners of these championships you will notice that their domestic leagues are not importers of talent (Italy, Brazil, Greece).