Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 7th September 2006, 03:25 PM   #81
Marina
NFS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Sabina es popular con la juventud o solo con personas en los edades treinta y mas mayor?
Es curioso que lo preguntes, ayer en el concierto había gente de entre 25 y 65 años.
Al principio me chocó, pero luego me di cuenta de que es normal puesto que lleva cantando desde finales de los 70, así que tiene fans de varias generaciones. Podéis ver su discografía completa aquí.
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 11:18 PM   #82
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
Es curioso que lo preguntes, ayer en el concierto había gente de entre 25 y 65 años.
Al principio me chocó, pero luego me di cuenta de que es normal puesto que lleva cantando desde finales de los 70, así que tiene fans de varias generaciones. Podéis ver su discografía completa aquí.
Ah! Pero este música es muy buena y relajante! ¿Flamenco ligero?
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 07:16 AM   #83
Marina
NFS Admin

No se que canción has escuchado, puede que alguna tenga algún toque "popular" y por eso te haya parecido flamenco.
Old 8th September 2006, 02:16 PM   #84
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

La enlace que Ben posto tiene una cancion que me suena un poco como flamenco porque tambien usan palmadas como un instrumento percusivo.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 07:49 PM   #85
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
No se que canción has escuchado, puede que alguna tenga algún toque "popular" y por eso te haya parecido flamenco.
He escuchado la canción que puedes oír después de abrir el sitio web.
Old 8th September 2006, 10:44 PM   #86
Showbizzz
Forero

Sabina es genial, transmite muy bien el espíritu Madrileño en sus temas. Dos canciones que me encantan son "conductores suicidas y "la del pirata cojo"
Showbizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2006, 07:06 PM   #87
Marina
NFS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
He escuchado la canción que puedes oír después de abrir el sitio web.

Perdona Edith no había visto el video. Tiene un toque flamenquillo por que usan guitarras Españolas.
Old 16th September 2006, 08:12 AM   #88
parubin
el del espejo

Default classic Spanish rock : 'Burning'

I'd like you to listen to this little gem, which has become a classic song for more than one generation of Spaniards.
The band is named 'Burning', and the song '¿Qué hace una chica como tú en un sitio como éste?' ('What is a girl like you doing in a place like this?') dates from 1979.

Burning is a classic rock band with a very peculiar madrilian 'chulo' attitude. They were a bit of a show-off, buy, hey, isn´t that what rock is all about?.

They were also a good example of one of the many music bands from the 'Movida Madrileña', the cultural outburst that took place in Spain (specially in Madrid, thus the 'madrileña' label) in the late 70s early 80s. Most of the bands from the 'Movida' were a bit more 'new-wave' and 'punk', being 'Burning' more quiet in their manners.

Anyway, here's the youtube link, I hope you enjoy :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHHKFHPqoUs
parubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 10:35 PM   #89
Cynthia
Forero

First, I'll agree with everyone who said the Ojos de Brujo and Bebe are great--they are!! I hope Bebe comes out with a new album soon, I'm dying to hear some new stuff from her. She has a single called "Tiempo pequeño" with Luis Godoy that you can download on iTunes. It's not my favorite song, but it's worth the 99cents.

From Ojos de Brujo, I love Barí the most (though, "Ná en la nevera" and "Rumba dub style" from Vengue are excellent, and the version of "Quien engaña no gana" on Remezclas de Casa is amazing). I haven't gotten Techarí yet, as it's still an import here in the US and would cost me around $35 US. I'm hoping to pick it up in Spain when I go in January (if I can live that long without new music from them! ).

Ska-P is another great band that I love. They're from Madrid, and as the name suggests, they're a ska/punk band with some traditional sounds thrown into the mix. They're very political, as well, which I like. Also, they sing pretty clearly so it's helpful for improving aural comprehension. They recently broke up, sadly, but they have 4 albums and a live CD/DVD available through iTunes or Amazon. Start with Planeta Eskoria.

I like Chambao as well, but it's more hit-or-miss: I love some of their songs (like "Mi Primo Juan") and I'm not crazy about others, but they're pretty good. They're like Ojos de Brujo without as much of an edge.

I recently downloaded "Pirata de Agua Salada" from Macaco, and it's a great song. I haven't heard anything else of his, but I know that song is available from iTunes. His sound is like Ojos de Brujo, with some flamenco taken out and some hip-hop added in its place.

Some of my favorite Spanish-language, though non-Spanish, artists are Julieta Venegas, Panteón Rococó, and Orixa. Julieta Venegas is Mexican and sings veerrryy clearly, so it's great for aural comprehension. Limón y Sal is her newest album, and it's wonderful. Panteón Rococó is a ska/punk band from México as well with some great songs. Orixa is a group from San Francisco, California, US. They're not very well known, but they have a great mixture of styles, from hip-hop to ska to punk.

While I'm on the subject of Spanish-language US bands, Ozomatli is another of my favorites that deserves notice. Give 'em a try, you'll like 'em!
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 12:31 PM   #90
Kate B
viajera

Definitely Juanes, and Alex Ubago. Sometimes David Bisbal, Maná, and Shakira...
Kate B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 06:49 PM   #91
Ben
Hero Forero

Bisbal More like Abismal
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 03:08 PM   #92
Nic
Forero Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Bisbal More like Abismal
Si mi profesora de español te oyó!!! Es enamorada con él.

A mí, me gusta David Bisbal pero prefiero la musica de Shakira, Juanes, El Sueño de Morfeo y Alejandro Sanz.
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 07:53 AM   #93
Ben
Hero Forero

"Download Cheap Spanish Music" - The Big Chorizo has a point here...
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 08:40 PM   #94
Irish
Forero

Default Vicente Amigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by celia s View Post
Hi,has anyone listened to the Andalusian flamenco guitarist,Vicente Amigo?He is amazing!Playing instrumental guitar with incredibly complicated flamenco rhythms.He seems destined to succeed Paco de lucia,if that is possible!I have just bought his dvd of a live concert in Cordoba.Highly recommended.
I agree, Vicente Amigo makes superb records. In my humble opinion he's the current king of Flamenco guitar. He's a native Cordoban and the guy many say is the 'new' Paco De Lucía.
As a huge fan I own every CD he's put out, but not that Cordoba DVD (it's on the 'to do' list).
Vicente's latest CD is also up for a Latin Grammy and he's won this award before. If you like Vicente have a listen to Tomatito & Gerardo Núñez.
Viva Vicente
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 09:30 PM   #95
Irish
Forero

Default Fave music

It's not traditional, it's not really flamenco. It's hardly world music and it's certainly not pop.
So no purists will love them but I do.
Check out Chambao: www.chambao.es
Have a listen to their reworking of Paco de Lucía's ''Entre Dos Aguas". Fantastic.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 07:34 AM   #96
Jonty83
Forero

Default Spanish music

It looks like I am in a very small minority. In ten years I heard only one or two tracks in Spanish that I like!! Nothing to do with the language - for me Spanish/Latin music is so samey. Not that the state of British music is something to celebrate either...one DJ after another....

Before you make comments I can confirm that I like a broad range of music - from Classical to Hip Hop to 80's/90's pop to American MOR. What I don't like (again probably in the minority!!) - well hate in fact - is anything from the 60's - especially if it comes from a not infamous band from the Liverpool area.
Jonty83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 11:47 AM   #97
Edith
Pangolin Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonty83 View Post
for me Spanish/Latin music is so samey.

Ah well, ¡cada uno a su manera! I don't like most modern pop music. To each his own!

Last edited by Edith; 13th October 2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 13th October 2006, 03:01 PM   #98
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

I love and know the best of classic rock such as Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Cream, Derek and the Dominoes, Beatles, Boston, Rush, Yes, Chicago (Pre-80s), Santana, Jimi Hendrix, etc.. To me they are like comfort food because it's what I grew up with since I could remember first hearing music. I had a lot of older cousins who listened to that around me.

I am increasingly liking jazz. By jazz I mean Coltrane, Bird, Brubeck, not the Kenny G light jazz stuff.

Admittedly, my repertoire does not include much Spanish music at all. That's not a statement against Spanish music but rather on my resourcefulness to find some and sample it.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 12:44 AM   #99
Laguiri
Forero

My Personal Favourites
Ojos de Brujo-How can you not love them?!
Chambao-Flamenco-Chill-fusion-goodstuff
Joaquin Sabina-a friend I was in love with gave me a cd of his...didn't help my falling in love problem jeje...
Los de Abajo-Mejicanos really good stuff
Los Planetas-Great lyrics...and cool music
Manu Chao-He's French, but sings mostly in Spanish
Sergent Garcia-Also French similar style as manu
Plastilina Mosh-Tios mejicanos, good electronic, funky stuff

Music I really dislike...
All Reggaeton...
Mana
David Bisbal...
Anyone from operacion triunfo
el canto del loco
Y otros que no se me occurren
Laguiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 06:28 PM   #100
rod
Mega Forero

For Ojos de Brujo fans stuck in the UK, I've just noticed they've announced some new dates here: Coventry Warwick Arts Centre (Nov 30); Bristol Colston Hall (Dec 1); Brighton Dome (Dec 2); Liverpool Philharmonic (Dec 4); London Roundhouse (Feb 6 2007) and Edinburgh Usher Hall (Feb 7). More info here:

http://www.imaginamultimedia.com/comono/

Something to look forward to! I shall try to get along to the Bristol one.
rod is offline   Reply With Quote