Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 4th September 2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Oksie
Forero

Default Driving in Spain

Hello,

I am planning to move to Spain next year. I am taking driving lessons in the UK, but I was wondering if it would be better to take them in Spain, as I am planning to live there. I know that the UK driving license is valid in the EU, but is it easier to pass the test in Spain? What do you think?

Thanks,

Oksana.
Oksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 06:13 PM   #2
greytop
Hero Forero

From other threads on this subject it is expensive and no easier to pass in Spain.
You can easily change your licence to a Spanish one if you will be here permanently - although there may be a minimum period you need to hold it.
Anyway if you can get one in UK it will be one less thing to think about when you arrive.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Lupine Chemist
Forero

On this subject, does anyone know if I can use my US (Indiana) license at all. I don't plan on having a car, but I'd like to know I can rent one if necessary. The question isn't if it's legal, since I'm pretty sure it's not, but if a car rental place will accept an American license.
Lupine Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 07:30 AM   #4
greytop
Hero Forero

Have a look at this article - with the usual caveat that it's the internet! so you may want to check other sources.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Legazpi
Mega Forero

A friend of mine who has been resident in Spain for many years was pulled over for not having his headlights on during dusk and was fined heavily because he didn't have a Spanish license. The police didn't like it because they couldn't give him points.

Another motivation for getting a Spanish driving license is that it works as a form of id here, which you need for using credit cards, etc. The alternative for UK nationals is to carry round your passport the whole time, which is a pain.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 12:16 PM   #6
Oksie
Forero

Great, thank you very much !!
Oksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Tumbit
Forero

Default Driving Test

I have Spanish born friends and neighbours who are fluent in the language, but have still flown to the UK in order to take a crash course and test (no pun intended). They tell me that not only is it much cheaper to do this, but that the process seems much easier when they compare notes with the friends who have done the same here in Spain.
Take a look at this article, which may explain a little more - http://www.tumbit.com/how-to-guides/...ving-test.html
Tumbit is offline   Reply With Quote