Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 4th May 2006, 06:49 PM   #1
JanesDaddy
Forero

Default Drug use in Spain

I was totally stunned to read just now,
Quote:
On July 1st 2001, Portugal decriminalised the use and possession for use of all drugs, including not just marijuana but also heroin and cocaine (possession 'for sale' remains a criminal offence). This new policy means that use and possession for use are subject to administrative sanctions rather than criminal proceedings.
As Spain's only land-bordering neighbour, can anyone comment on any measurable increase in cross-border trafficking, or increased drug use in western Spain as a result of this policy?

In general, is the drug/alcohol abuse problem more or less prevelant in Spain than in other countries?
JanesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 10:01 PM   #2
cubix
Mega Forero

Don't know anything about that, but when I was in Spain in Feb. they sold Hierba(pot) magazine right in the plaza, not something you would see in the states, but were such a prudish nation.

Thought if I may say, Hierba magazine was pretty much down-right boring
cubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 10:10 PM   #3
Marina
NFS Admin

Sorry I can't answer your question about Portugal, as it's the first time I've heard about it. However I can tell you that Spain is the main drugs entrance in Europe, both through Morrocco and by boat. But I wouldn't say that there is more problem with alcohol and drugs here than in other European countries.
It's true that alcohol comsuption is much more social (outdoors) in Spain, but it's also true that you see more heavily drunk people in the UK than here.

Last edited by Marina; 5th May 2006 at 07:11 AM.
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 10:40 PM   #4
Alan
El Listo ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanesDaddy
As Spain's only land-bordering neighbour . . .
Well, there's France, Gibraltar and Andorra too :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina
Sorry I can't ask your question about Portugal, as it's the first time I've heard about it. However I can tell you that Spain is the main drugs entrance in Europe, both through Marrocco and by boat. But I wouldn't say that there is more problem with alcohol and drugs here than in other European countries.
It's true that alcohol comsuption is much more social (outdoors) in Spain, but it's also true that you see more heavily drunken people in the UK than here.
People are drunker the further north you go . . . but I have to say, I know a LOT of Spanish (and Italian) people who regularly use (soft) drugs.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 06:12 AM   #5
Ben
Hero Forero

Apparently Spain has one of the highest levels of cocaine abuse in Europe but I haven't seen it much with my own eyes - maybe we don't go to the right (or wrong) places anymore!

Marijuana smoking is very prevelent, you smell it a lot in the streets, there are several shops in Madrid dedicated to growing it at home, and in the San Sebastian it is smoked widely in bars and clubs (though elsewhere in Spain it is banned in most venues).

We did a podcast on this in Spanish if anyone is interested:
http://www.notesfromspain.com/246/

(I think I'll move this to the Spain forum as it is defintely very Spain related)

Last edited by Ben; 5th May 2006 at 06:17 AM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 08:45 AM   #6
timg
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
We did a podcast on this in Spanish if anyone is interested:
Wouldn't that be a potcast?
timg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 10:34 AM   #7
Ben
Hero Forero