Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 10th January 2007, 04:26 PM   #1
alanmalarkey
Mega Forero

Default Skype intermediate conversation group

Some of you are probably aware of the yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanis...tionworldwide/.

If not it is worth a look as it provides a structure for a virtual meeting place for Spanish conversation over the internet via Skype. It is free once you have downloaded Skype. I have become a bit frustrated with it due to the preponderance of very late sessions to cater for US participants. My posting onto the group is below and should be self explanatory for anyone wishing to participate - you could also send me a PV if you are interested and I'll let you have my Skype details.

best wishes

Dear All

I wonder if there is a critical mass of those wishing to meet at a
time more convenient to UK/Europe. I understand the difficulties for
those of you weekday workers in the US as you need to get home from
work before you begin a session but 00.00 - 01.00 UGC/GMT is too late
for me. Maybe any time between 21.00-23.00 would be OK. One problem is
that I do not feel sufficiently confident in my speaking to host a
session but I would be glad to facilitate it by setting up a session
via skype conference call.

To make this more concrete I am proposing a session next Monday 15
January at 21.00 UGC/GMT. In order to drum up more interest I am going
to post this on the notes from spain forum.

Alan
alanmalarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 05:26 PM   #2
thefamilybush

You might already know this, but group has moved to a wiki site: http://spanishconversation.wikispaces.com/ and is reorganizing there.

Also, I would be interested in hooking up on skype for Spanish conversation. I'm US Central time.
thefamilybush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 08:02 PM   #3
alanmalarkey
Mega Forero

Hi Ryan, I presume that you are returned from your adventures and ready to play/work back in the US. I wasn't inundated with requests here or over at the new spanish conversations site but I did get approached by some ladies in the UK who were already conversing and invited me to join tomorrow so I will try that - I will let my request for joiners stand for another week and see what happens. Knowing your advanced Spanish knowledge perhaps you would consider hosting such an event - it could be helpful - I am also concerned that there is quite a disparity between yours and my level so it would be better to have some others willing to join - I'll keep in touch - thanks for replying

Alan
Old 14th January 2007, 12:03 PM   #4
landlady
vodcaster

Alan, I would have gladly joined in. Unfortunately, as has it, I have to pick up my husband from the airport Monday evening. That is the problem with these skypcast schedules chats, life sometimes gets in the way from attending regular meetings. I would have hosted one myself, but my level of Spanish is nowhere near adequate yet. It does need a fluent speaker to host the sessions i.m.o. as they have to keep good control of the skype sessions. The best ones I have listened into so far are the weekly English conversations, held on Sat & Sun, hosted by WORLDMIKEL - English Conversation Practice 070114

I have listened in on these to get a feel of how these skypecasts work, and he makes it look easy. He often has around 30 people logged on at the same time and just brings people in who have requested to speak, one by one, to the talking 'zone' where he asks them questions and has a general chat with them. Others must benefit from listening, even if they aren't at the level to be able to converse. It is very interesting to hear from people from so many different parts of the World practicing their English.

Hopefully in the future, as skypcasts get more known, there will be more Spanish conversation ones like his set up, especially with Spanish hosts. I like the fact that Mike's ones are held on a drop in basis with no pressure for people to attend or not. There could be an opportunity through these type of sessions for people to arrange other meetings between themselves, as when you log off, you get the opportunity to add the names of other skype users to a personal contact list, so you could contact those that seem interested, and seem to be at a similar level to yourself, in one to one (or small group) chats at times to suit. I have had a few impromptu skype chats with Pattie from this forum when we have found ourselves online at the same time, she just having got up whilst its in the middle of the afternoon for me and although we are both English speakers at a similar level in Spanish, I think it has been beneficial to us both to have a little Spanish practice session together, even if we do have to look up words during our conversations.
landlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 12:51 PM   #5
landlady
vodcaster

Just took a look at skypcasts and there seems to be a Spanish Intermediate session starting in 4 hours 10 minutes time ) from this posting. Perhaps some can join in that one? I will try to if I can. Link is here. https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypeca...id_talk=245177

Jan
landlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 12:33 AM   #6
alanmalarkey
Mega Forero

Hi again Jan,

I looked in on Barry's skypecast but most of the speakers were above my level and some were native speakers so I felt a bit intimidated by it but listened for a while to good effect. Tonight I joined a small group of ladies, 2 English and 1 US, with varying levels and it seemed to work quite well - next week on Sunday again at 10.pm GMT; interested?

Alan
Old 15th January 2007, 04:08 PM   #7
tad
virtual idiot

I downloaded skype yesterday as all this seems interesting- although above my level. I don't even have a mike/ headphone assembly or anything (is that the best way to do it).
Is it possible to simply listen in to one of these sessions on the computers speakers without taking part (to get a feel for it)?
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 04:17 PM   #8
alanmalarkey
Mega Forero

Either is OK but if you plan to participate I think that it is best to get a combined set of headphones and mike, otherwise you create an echo for others as their voice is bounced back to them via the speakers - also headphones assist in concentration so it is important that they are comfortable.