Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 17th July 2007, 08:13 PM   #1
fhis
Novato

Default Need some advice..

dear all,
I will have to report to the company in Madrid by end of 2007. The company have will arrange for all the paperwork needed for our move to Spain.
Frankly speaking, I am happy and excited to move to a lovely place like spain. I have been hearing lots of beautiful stuffs about it. However,
I am currently a bit hesitant on the package offered to me, whether it would be enough to cover for my living expenses in Madrid for a family of 3. I am offered around E3,000 per month all in. I will have to pay for taxes, rental and utility bills by my own. Can someone advise on whether this would be suffcient to live a comfortable life in Madrid? Thanks in advance.
fhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhis View Post
dear all,
I will have to report to the company in Madrid by end of 2007. The company have will arrange for all the paperwork needed for our move to Spain.
Frankly speaking, I am happy and excited to move to a lovely place like spain. I have been hearing lots of beautiful stuffs about it. However,
I am currently a bit hesitant on the package offered to me, whether it would be enough to cover for my living expenses in Madrid for a family of 3. I am offered around E3,000 per month all in. I will have to pay for taxes, rental and utility bills by my own. Can someone advise on whether this would be suffcient to live a comfortable life in Madrid? Thanks in advance.
Hi Fhis,
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your pending move to Spain! 3,000€ a month is considered a good salary in Spain. Whether or not it is enough for you and your family will depend on your lifestyle and how you are used to living. What city are you coming from? Do you plan to rent or buy a place? Will your spouse be working?
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 07:09 PM   #3
fhis
Novato

hi beck,
Both my wife and I will be working in the same company. However we will need to look for a baby sitter for our little boy. Is the baby sitter readily available in Madrid? is it expensive?
For the time being we will be renting rather than buying. Maybe we might if we find out that we would like to settle for long there.
Have the living expenses especially the house rental increses a lot over the last 6 months?
fhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 03:36 PM   #4
Culebronchris
Peino canas

My wife works as a teacher and gets a couple of thousand per month before tax, I earn about a thousand take home per month. We have no major outgoings (like a mortgage) and we get by OK but if we needed to buy anything major we'd need to get credit of some sort.

So we, just about, do OK but we live in a place where you can buy a cup of coffee for 80 centimos. When we were in Madrid the other day we bought a couple of soft drinks and a plate of boquerones in the Retiro park and I was shocked at the cost (17€ as I remember). so I'd agree with fhis. The money isn't bad at all but whether you can live "comfortably" on it depends a bit on Madrid prices and a bit on what you expect to spend.
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 03:16 AM   #5
Beckett
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhis View Post
hi beck,
Both my wife and I will be working in the same company. However we will need to look for a baby sitter for our little boy. Is the baby sitter readily available in Madrid? is it expensive?
For the time being we will be renting rather than buying. Maybe we might if we find out that we would like to settle for long there.
Have the living expenses especially the house rental increses a lot over the last 6 months?
You will have to ask around at your job and in your neighborhood for recommendations of nannies. If you want to hire an immigrant, you will have plenty of people to choose from and won't have to pay much. If you want to hire a Spaniard, good luck. If you have the money to pay an agency, an au pair is also an option. If your child is at least three years old, he can go to school in Spain.

Regarding house rentals, I'm not sure what the going rate is for renting a house outside of Madrid. Visit the following real estate web site where you can search by price and by location for housing. www.idealista.com

Good luck!
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote