Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 9th February 2008, 10:51 PM   #1
MrMark
Convert to vinos

Default Similarities between the British and the Spanish

We often discuss the differences between our nations, but it seems to me that there are a lot of similarities that we overlook. Here's some:

1) We are both trying to come to terms with a past world-wide empire.
2) We both love to swear in public (well I try to avoid it... not always successfully)
3) Mad about football
4) Drink too much (ok, so the Brits tend to indulge more quickly in a drunken brawl or sing football songs, possibly because we drink too quickly).
5) We both feel that our country is the best place in the world to live.
6) Our nation-state is in grave danger of splitting up, which will be a disaster long-term (Scotland or Catalunya and the Basque country)
7) We both don't take kindly to foreigners criticizing our country. The amount of times I've heard an Indian or Aussie make a polite comment, only to be told "if you don't like it, bugger off back to your own country". This happens in a similar way in Spain too, I believe.
8) Ageist attitudes to people seeking work.
9) A Christmas holiday period that seems to last for 2 months.

I'm sure there are others...

Last edited by MrMark; 9th February 2008 at 10:53 PM.
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Elvis
Tio Pepe

I can only respond to some of your points MrMark, as I've spent most of my years here in a relatively small pueblo.
Quote:
I think the Spanish have done a better job of it than we Brits, so many of us treat the rest of the world as second class citizens and I haven't see the Spanish doing that.
Quote:
2) We both love to swear in public (well I try to avoid it... not always successfully)
Swearing sounds worse in English, IMO.
Quote:
3) Mad about football
I'm not, but yes, I think it applies to half or more of the world's population.
Quote:
4) Drink too much (ok, so the Brits tend to indulge more quickly in a drunken brawl or sing football songs, possibly because we drink too quickly).
Brits and Scandinavians do seem to over indulge, I prefer the European way, get drunk, but rarely fall over.
Quote:
I think the Spanish have more reason to feel that way!
Quote:
6) Our nation-state is in grave danger of splitting up, which will be a disaster long-term (Scotland or Catalunya and the Basque country)
It would teach them all a good lesson if it happened, they would soon learn how bad an idea it was!
Quote:
7) We both don't take kindly to foreigners criticizing our country. The amount of times I've heard an Indian or Aussie make a polite comment, only to be told "if you don't like it, bugger off back to your own country". This happens in a similar way in Spain too, I believe.
Anyone can criticise my country, I'd probably agree with them!
Quote:
Dunno about that one, I retired myself 20 years ago.
Quote:
I hadn't noticed that.

This is an interesting subject, I'll think about it while I'm clipping the dog and try to get back.

Last edited by Elvis; 10th February 2008 at 10:37 AM.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 11:24 AM   #3
zuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
I don`t think either nations really care.
Quote:
The whole world swears, its a personnel thing in the UK, Brits judge using/hearing it, in Spain its part of the culture, in the UK its not.
Quote:
3) Mad about football
Its popular in both.
Quote:
It comes down to attitude, in Spain its a social thing, in the UK its not.
Quote:
More British leave the UK than Spanish leave Spain.
Quote:
The Spanish govt has killed more than 300,000 people in the name of Nationalism, so far the UK hasn`t.There`s a huge political difference.
Quote:
The Spanish are far more open about immigration than the UK.
Quote:
I`ve seen older people employed in the UK than in Spain.
Quote:
In the UK you get 2 days, in Spain you get three.
Old 10th February 2008, 11:49 AM   #4
Elvis
Tio Pepe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuri View Post
I don`t think either nation really cares.
Possibly not, but Brits take it for granted, as similarly do Germans.

Quote:
The whole world swears, its a personal thing in the UK, Brits judge using/hearing it, in Spain its part of the culture, in the UK its not.
I have to disagree with that statement zuri, in Britain it would depend on the type of person you mix with.

Quote:
Its popular in both. It comes down to attitude, in Spain its a social thing, in the UK its not.
Pubs and clubs have been Britain's most popular social centres for centuries!

Quote:
More British leave the UK than Spanish leave Spain.
I wonder why.

Quote:
The Spanish govt has killed more than 300,000 people in the name of Nationalism, so far the UK hasn`t.
That's debateable.

Quote:
There`s a huge political difference. The Spanish are far more open about immigration than the UK.
Probably because the Spanish are more used to it.
Old 10th February 2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Elvis
Tio Pepe

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold View Post
I can't agree with this. Immigration has become an "issue" in Spain only in the last 5 years or so!
Tell me more, I mix with an 'older' Spanish fraternity, so maybe I've missed this issue as yet.
Old 10th February 2008, 06:49 PM   #6
omeyas
Solo chapurreo el español

Quote:
As I said in another posts, a lot of countries have chosen to keep their ties with UK, or are part of the Commonwealth. Can't think of any countries that wanted to keep their ties with Spain.

Quote:
I know I certainly do not! Nor do any of my friends or family. The youngsters seem to think it's hip and cool in UK though.

Quote:
3) Mad about football
A lot are in UK, and a great deal have no interest at all. A lot of the Spanish seem to be interested.

Quote:
Again, I think we have the mala fama due to the drinking of the youngsters, most people I know drink, but they never resort to the behaviour seen on any city streets here on a weekend.

Quote:
I'm not sure either is.

Quote:
Scotland seem to want to go it alone, in which case, let them, it'll save us a fortune.

Quote:
Must confess to thinking this week, "If you want to live under Sharia law, go to Iraq". I'd have thought the introduction of Sharia law here would have been unthinkable, but nothing would surprise me nowadays!
omeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 08:16 PM   #7
Elvis
Tio Pepe

Quote:
WE had an interesting thread about this topic on the forum only some days ago.
Thanks, I read the thread through, but I'll refrain from commenting.

Quote:
I believe that immigration has existed in Britain for much longer and probably a more varied immigration, too. On the page below they state 12 different ethinc groups in Britain.
Immigration in Britain has existed for thousands of years, my forefathers arrived there with William the Conqueror, around 1066.
I believe today's Europe wouldn't be what it is without immigration and Spain has a lot to thank Los Moros for.

Hopefully, we European immigrants aren't yet too high on the list of the unwelcome in Spain yet!
Old 24th February 2008, 06:39 PM   #8
allan
Forero Senior

Default humour

In my experience, one thing the Spanish, British (and Irish) share is an ironic and self-deprecating sense of humour. Something many other
nationalities have difficulties making sense of.

Allan

Last edited by allan; 24th February 2008 at 06:43 PM.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 10:43 PM   #9
hellothere
Super Forero

This is a great thread!
I am an outsider as I am neither Spanish nor British. I have lived in, and I love both countries, but this does not mean that my views on the subject are not completely biased, or totally subjective and malafide, which of course they are! In other words, these are personal points of view, so I hope no one gets (too) upset:

Quote:
We often discuss the differences between our nations, but it seems to me that there are a lot of similarities that we overlook. Here's some:

I would see a slight difference here.
The Brits show it in their general behaviour, the Spaniards seem to voice it directly: "we used to have a powerful Empire; the sun would never set in our Empire", so on so forth.

Quote:
Spanish sounds more colourful to me in this aspect, I don't know why. They just seem to have a lot of funny phrases for swearing and insulting, which sounds cute to me.

Quote:
3) Mad about football
True. But again, which nation isn't?

Quote:
The way each of the two nations drinks is not the same to me at all.
Quite a few Brits do binge drinking and wreck things, giving the whole nation a bad image abroad.
Most Spaniards enjoy a slow drink and a good friendly chat. And also, they eat whilst they drink.

Quote:
True, and everyone probably thinks so of their own country. I think it is not a bad thing to be proud of one's nation.
But to my point of view, the more discreet British way makes it endearing, while the more aggressive Spanish one is to me counter-productive.

I have come across quite a few Spaniards, who without being prompted, would explain me at length how their food, the variety of their landscape, their culture, their people, were far better than any other country's. And they will even at times put down other countries' culture or food.
It basically makes me want to believe exactly the opposite at times. Luckily they are not all like that, far from it.

Quote:
Unfortunately, such problems seem to be something both nations have in common to some extent.

Quote:
I cannot think of anyone one from any nation who would like to be criticized in their own turf.

Why should the Brits or anybody else put up with it? Indeed if someone does not like it there, they probably should not be there in the first place.

The Spaniards hate it as much as anybody else, but I have never heard them saying: "if you don't like it here, go away." But again, this could be because the only foreigner I knew whilst living in Spain was, well, me.
One thing, though: Spaniards may want to stop asking foreigners what they really think of their country, if they don't want to hear the answer. Apparently they are very disappointed at my version of it: "well, we think you have a nice country for the holidays; apart from that we don't really talk about you that much." It is sort of mean from my part, I know

Quote:
I would not know, having left the UK way too long ago to know the current job market situation, but it is possible indeed.

Quote:
True. It may be a worldwide thing. I would add as a common point the very... err... shiny sense of Christmas decoration equally loved by both countries
hellothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 11:37 PM   #10
jonk
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere View Post

True. But again, which nation isn't?

Mine

But we'll get there
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 12:08 AM   #11
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk View Post
Mine

But we'll get there
and mine, not yet but maybe one day.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 07:57 AM   #12
hellothere
Super Forero

Well, I put my foot in it here, big time...

So sorry Jonk and ValenciaSon.
Indeed I did not think of either Australia nor the US when I wrote this, and I also have realised there are a few other countries where football is not specially popular.
Again, sorry, I should have written that football is very much loved in a lot of countries; this would have been more accurate.
Old 28th February 2008, 11:35 AM   #13
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
Well, I put my foot in it here, big time...

So sorry Jonk and ValenciaSon.
Indeed I did not think of either Australia nor the US when I wrote this, and I also have realised there are a few other countries where football is not specially popular.
Again, sorry, I should have written that football is very much loved in a lot of countries; this would have been more accurate.
Well you were mostly accurate so don't sweat it bub.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 11:45 AM   #14
hellothere
Super Forero

Thanks, ValenciaSon!
Old 29th February 2008, 09:10 AM   #15
jonk
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Well you were mostly accurate so don't sweat it bub.
Yeh exactly

But hellothere we were just nit-picking, there's not too many countries where football isn't #1

It's gone from being a basket case here to doing really well. It's not in the top echelon yet (Aussie Rules, Rugby League, Cricket), but will probably become so in the next 5 years.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 10:12 AM   #16
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Tonight, Leeds Rhinos v Melbourne Storm - World Club Challenge.

I predict 16-10.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 12:39 PM   #17
hellothere
Super Forero

That's nice, thanks Jonk

And best of luck to football in Australia and the States!
Old 29th February 2008, 03:06 PM   #18
Elvis
Tio Pepe

The Spanish and British are very similar, but the Spanish do it better!
Old 29th February 2008, 04:03 PM   #19
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Meg View Post
Tonight, Leeds Rhinos v Melbourne Storm - World Club Challenge.

I predict 16-10.
yeah, but aren't you forgeting the fact that you're rubbish at predictions?
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 05:19 PM   #20
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardy View Post
yeah, but aren't you forgetting the fact that you're rubbish at predictions?
At least I can spell.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote