Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Podcast Comments > Cuisine from Spain Podcast Comments

Notices

Old 7th August 2006, 12:02 PM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default Cuisine from Spain Podcast 11 - Pollo al ajillo!

An easy garlic chicken dish ideal as tapas or a main course with fries!

Listen here

Did you make it? How did it taste?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 01:45 AM   #2
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Made Marina's recipe for dinner. The garlic's pungency seeped into the chicken meat, giving it a rich flavour that took me to Spain. I put in the white wine near the end, and it added a subtle coating of flavor that made it scrumptious.

Definitely, this one is a keeper for the Cocina de Marina.

Thank you for the podcast.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 02:40 AM   #3
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

My father has made this dish for years and its been one of my favorites as a child!

It was an enjoyable podcast. I think I will give it a try soon.

Question: If all fried potatoes are called chips in the UK, what do you call potato chips in the UK?

Last edited by ValenciaSon; 22nd October 2006 at 12:15 AM.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 04:09 AM   #4
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon

Question: If all fried potatoes are called chips in the UK, what do you call potato chips in the UK?
Fried Potatoes.
Old 8th August 2006, 06:59 AM   #5
Ben
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon
> Crisps
Old 8th August 2006, 07:35 AM   #6
Marina
NFS Admin

Quote:
Made Marina's recipe for dinner. The garlic's pungency seeped into the chicken meat, giving it a rich flavour that took me to Spain. I put in the white wine near the end, and it added a subtle coating of flavor that made it scrumptious.

Definitely, this one is a keeper for the Cocina de Marina.

Thank you for the podcast.
Great to hear! I'm very pleased.
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 12:10 AM   #7
neskadebilbao
Forero Senior

I know this is off subject but I saw the chips entry and had to mention that my boss brought back a bag of potato chips fromk England and the flavoring was ox. I found that funny. We tried them..they were not too bad!
neskadebilbao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 01:29 AM   #8
kyle
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by neskadebilbao
I know this is off subject but I saw the chips entry and had to mention that my boss brought back a bag of potato chips fromk England and the flavoring was ox. I found that funny. We tried them..they were not too bad!
well, here we add jamón serrano flavouring, so go figure :-D
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 10:18 AM   #9
Marbella

The picture of this dish on the blog has been giving me the tummy rumbles all week so last night I cooked it for the family. It's one of our favourite dishes, thanks to you both.

I did deviate from Marina's recipe slightly at the start by giving the chicken a light dusting of flour and not pre-frying the garlic, I was just worried about burning it once the chicken was added.
Old 10th August 2006, 12:11 PM   #10
Ben
Hero Forero

Glad you liked it! It's true that you have to be very careful with the garlic...
Old 10th August 2006, 12:51 PM   #11
Brian
Errant in Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
Glad you liked it! It's true that you have to be very careful with the garlic...
I can't believe that somebody is now producing Meat Chips. There's just something sinister about that....

http://www.zlew.net/thoughts/?p=6

Old 10th August 2006, 01:29 PM   #12
Marina
NFS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbella
The picture of this dish on the blog has been giving me the tummy rumbles all week so last night I cooked it for the family. It's one of our favourite dishes, thanks to you both.

I did deviate from Marina's recipe slightly at the start by giving the chicken a light dusting of flour and not pre-frying the garlic, I was just worried about burning it once the chicken was added.
Now that you mentioned it my mother used to coat the chicken pieces in flour when I was a child, but not anymore
Old 13th August 2006, 03:41 AM   #13
neskadebilbao
Forero Senior

What was the part of the chicken that you were talking about...the contramúsculo?
neskadebilbao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2006, 08:24 AM   #14
Ben
Hero Forero

It was the thigh, as opposed to the leg/drumstick.
-Ben
Old 15th August 2006, 04:14 PM   #15
jt_skip
Forero

Default Wonderful Dish

After listening to the show, I had been craving this, so this past weekend, I attempted to make it in my humble Texas kitchen, and really swept my wife away with this wonderful meal. She is now wondering if I have a spanish lover somewhere, but I assured her, only NFS/CFS

It was really simple to make!
Thanks Ben and Marina, We realy enjoyed the rich garlic flavor!
regards
-Skip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8120005a.JPG (22.5 KB, 40 views)
jt_skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2006, 09:45 PM   #16
Marina
NFS Admin

Thanks for reporting the result, it's encouraging to hear that someone is actually cooking from the podcasts. I'm specially impressed with the picture, it looks amazing!!!

I'm also really touched that you use the recipie to sourprise your wife.
.... Beeen!!!
Old 15th August 2006, 09:47 PM   #17
Marina
NFS Admin

By the way, it looks like you used a whole chicken chopped up into pieces, am I right? Was it difficult to get butcher to chopped like that or did you do it?
Old 16th August 2006, 03:36 AM   #18
jt_skip
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina
By the way, it looks like you used a whole chicken chopped up into pieces, am I right? Was it difficult to get butcher to chopped like that or did you do it?
Hola Marina, Actually, here in Suburban Americana, most of us don't really consult with the Butcher much. Our mega supermarkets might have a butcher behind the counter... but it is much easier to just select from the cooler (a small commentary on the cultural differences in America) I suppose I could have asked, But I chose instead to use good quality whole chicken breast and chopped it into smaller peices. I decided not to use a whole chicken because it was just the two of us. As with anything, I learned that if I had used Thighs, instead of breast it might turn out more juicier? As it was, The Flavor turned out spectacular.

Thanks again... I look forward to the next interesting cusine! Does Spanish Cusine use much fresh Fish?

regards,
-Skip
jt_skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 10:08 AM   #19
Marina
NFS Admin

I somehow knew that it wasn't very probable that you had been to a butcher
Our friend Ryan from Catavino has told us how in the States everything is bought in the super market and small shops have nearly disappeared. But from the picuture I thought that your pieces looked very similar to ours... Anyway I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the chicken.

Quote:
Does Spanish Cusine use much fresh Fish?
I would say that a lot, in fact Spain is the second consumer of Fish of the world after Japan. Still some families only eat frozen fish but if you go to a restaurant and have a fish dish (unless you have a "menu del dia"- midday set lunch with three courses), nearly always is fresh fish. Also every market and medium size supermarket has a fresh fish counter.
Old 16th August 2006, 04:05 PM   #20
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_skip
.... I decided not to use a whole chicken because it was just the two of us. As with anything, I learned that if I had used Thighs, instead of breast it might turn out more juicier? As it was, The Flavor turned out spectacular.

Thanks again... I look forward to the next interesting cusine! Does Spanish Cusine use much fresh Fish?
regards -Skip
In my supermarket in Spain they have pre-packed chicken whole, breast only, thighs or drumsticks only, chopped up with or without the breast. And all with or without skin! When I'm doing something like fried garlic chicken I buy the chopped minus breast, with skin, version. Most of the bits need cutting in two for frying. It is enough for about 3 people or two plus a tapas the next day! And it is definitely for eating with the fingers!!!!
The local butchers are great though and will cut meat up correctly if you tell them what you are trying to cook and for how many people. I've also had some good meat from the indoor markets in various places.
The same supermarket has a big range of fresh fish and shellfish. The ladies will again clean and cut it up for you.
¡Buen provecho!
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote