Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Stephen
Mega Forero

Default TVE Internacional gone from Sky TV?

I always watch Cuéntame Cómo Pasó on TVE on Sky. Tonight I thought I was losing my memory as I couldn't find the channel at its usual slot of channel 795. Gradually I realised it seems to have just stopped going out on Sky. Have they baulked at paying Mr Murdoch any more cash or something? I know it is available free on other satellites that I'm not set up to receive.
Old 15th May 2009, 07:41 PM   #2
colelrojo
Ignorante pero feliz

Is this link any use Stephen?

wwitv.com/tv_channels/8234.htm
Old 15th May 2009, 07:53 PM   #3
greytop
Hero Forero

It's definitely not there and is also just blank in the Sky TV programme schedule. I can't find any reason for this on my usual ref sites so it may be a temporary hiccup.

Update:
Found a forum with following info:

"TVEi has been removed from 795 in the EPG. Still broadcasting off the EPG (11.469 H)"

that's 27500, 2/3 if you want to try a manual channel setup. Can't get near mine during evening soaps time

Last edited by greytop; 15th May 2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: add info
Old 15th May 2009, 08:23 PM   #4
WesleyHH
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I always watch Cuéntame Cómo Pasó on TVE on Sky. Tonight I thought I was losing my memory as I couldn't find the channel at its usual slot of channel 795. Gradually I realised it seems to have just stopped going out on Sky. Have they baulked at paying Mr Murdoch any more cash or something? I know it is available free on other satellites that I'm not set up to receive.

Hola!
Aquí tienes todos los capítulos "Cuéntame Cómo Pasó"
http://www.rtve.es/television/cuentame/
me gusta también este serial.
Un saludo
Old 15th May 2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Stephen
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
It's definitely not there and is also just blank in the Sky TV programme schedule. I can't find any reason for this on my usual ref sites so it may be a temporary hiccup.

Update:
Found a forum with following info:

"TVEi has been removed from 795 in the EPG. Still broadcasting off the EPG (11.469 H)"

that's 27500, 2/3 if you want to try a manual channel setup. Can't get near mine during evening soaps time
Thanks very much Greytop. I've managed to set it up already. I won't be able to see what's on now as TVE isn't, as your source said, in the EPG now but I suppose I can get the schedule off the website.
Old 17th May 2009, 10:52 AM   #6
Stephen
Mega Forero

It might just be a technical problem with TVEi's broadcast but this morning the workaround putting in the TVEi details in the digibox isn't working.

No picture!

Update: It's working again now.

Last edited by Stephen; 17th May 2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 19th May 2009, 02:45 PM   #7
Daz
Novato

Default TVEi

I rang Sky yesterday about TVEi - they said it was due to broadcasting issues. I pressed them on whether the issues were of a "technical" or "contractual" nature, but they wouldn't commit themselves.

Thanks GreyTop for the workaround I'll try that this evening.
Old 21st May 2009, 07:29 AM   #8
gitanarosa
Galesa

Unhappy

I'm getting nothing at all for the past 2 days when I go to other channels.....
Old 21st May 2009, 12:37 PM   #9
Stephen
Mega Forero

Is your card properly in the sky box? Try switching the box off at the mains socket, wait 30 seconds then switching on again. That often puts right problems with Sky.
Old 21st May 2009, 12:51 PM   #10
greytop
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitanarosa View Post
I'm getting nothing at all for the past 2 days when I go to other channels.....
Mine still works. Can you see it as TVEi in your "other channel" list? If not you can try reprogramming it. (11.469 Hor, 27500, 2/3)
Old 21st May 2009, 01:36 PM   #11
Stephen
Mega Forero

I thought gitanarosa meant she couldn't get a picture on any other channels not that the place on the digibox marked Other Channels was giving problems.

Please ignore my earlier advice.
Old 21st May 2009, 03:16 PM   #12
greytop
Hero Forero

I'm not sure exactly what she meant either
Old 24th May 2009, 01:08 AM   #13
Alaska
Novato

Default Canal Internacional

Glad to know I am not the only one missing tve1!! I have contacted both Sky and TVE and they blame each other!! TVE assured me that they have not got technical problems and they haven't stop broadcasting on SKY, I've got several emails as proof, meanwhile SKY has been totally useless.. en fin! as you most of you know you can still watch it on "other channels" but you can't tape, or live pause, etc, etc,.. I am still trying to get an answer, I suggest we all send emails to TVE internacional and demand our channel back on SKY!!
Old 24th May 2009, 10:03 AM   #14
satandpcguy
Forero

Hi,

I found this forum a few weeks ago, and decided to join when I saw someone post this question re TVEi. I hope that i can help you out with satellite tv questions, just like I have on many other forums (some of you may recognise me!)

According to various reports TVEi was removed from the Sky EPG (programme guide) due to issues with the information they were (or were not) providing for the EPG. provision of accurate EPG data is one of the requirements for the EPG inclusion contract. reports are that TVEi was not keeping the data upto date or even providing correct times for programmes...and neither side is really taking responsibilty for it and blaming each other.

which we should know is normal on spanish terrestrial tv, with programmes often starting 10 minutes before or after their published times!

TVEi is still broadcasting, it is still encrypted (you need a sky viewign card and appropriate sky subscription mix), but as it is currently off the EPG you will need to add it to your "other channels" listings as per the frequency details above. Until it does appear on the EPG again, you will be limited to basic now and next programme information. you cannot sky+ channels on the "other channels" list.

TVEi is available on some other satellites, like Astra 19 (10818 V 22 5/6) and Hispasat 30w (11972v 27500 2/3 for free and with no viewing card required.

Last edited by satandpcguy; 24th May 2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 25th May 2009, 06:13 PM   #15
dimonió
Super Forero

Thanks for the updates on TVE on the digital system.

On a different point, the analogue switch off is scheduled in Mallorca for 31 December. I am wondering what I will need to do to continue receiving the Spanish channels. There is an analogue aerial on our community roof and a Sky dish, but I don't know whether I will need to buy a new set top box or ask for a new dish to be installed.

Many thanks for any help available.
Old 25th May 2009, 07:01 PM   #16
satandpcguy
Forero

Yes, Spain is phasing out its old analogue TV signals for all the main broadcsaters over 3 stanges..the first is under 30 days away, the next is the end of the year and the final is for april 2010 (although as with most things in spain the timescales may well change - i understand that one or two regions have already delayed swicth off!)

Digital Terrestrial TV is also known as TDT. Many areas have been able to get this for over 2 years now. Depending on your area you can get around 30 digital Spanish TV channels, as opposed to the 7 or so grainy analogue stations.

To receive TDT you will require an aerial configured for digital (either a brand new aerial or just rejig your existing aerial which will curently be set for analogue), some form of amplification, and either a tdt set top box or a tv with a built in tdt tuner (have found silvercrest and siemens boxes not to be very good, and some tvs with built in tuners are not as sensitive as seperate set top boxes). many spaniards are opting for the two aerial solution as many local stations will not be available on digital for a while.

I understand that it is a requirement by spanish law that all communities must be converted and allow residents the ability to receive TDT. So if you are in a community check with your presidente or administrator to see if your site has been "converted". if it hasn then get them to do it - liek i sid i think it is a legal requirement! if it has then all you need is to get a TDT tuner, plug it in, connect to the aerial socket, and scan for the channels.

a uk freeview box will work with TDT, but may not work 100%. one example is that spains tdt uses frequencies 21 - 69, yet freeview branded boxes may not be able to scan 69, as this is unused in the uk!

for more information try
www.tdt.es - has a postcode signal reception checker
or
www.tdt1.com - has channels available for your area.
or have a look at the TDT pages on my site
http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/tdt_...view_spain.htm

and to try and bring this back to "Learning Spainish" there is a free Disney channel available on TDT, which i find useful to help learn and understand spainish mainly as it is childrens spanish - and it has spanish subtitles also!

hope this helps

Last edited by satandpcguy; 25th May 2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 25th May 2009, 08:48 PM   #17
dimonió
Super Forero

Many thanks for the speedy reply. I have had a look on TDT.com's postcode checker which says "no disponsible" but TDT1.com says my town should be capable of receiving it.

I particularly like the idea of the upgrade being a legal requirement - I'll try to get some sense from the administrators. No easy task I can tell you. In addition, most of my nieghbours are German or (non Spanish speaking) UK so I can imagine they will be thrilled at having to pay for the conversion !!

I also had a look at your website - excellent resource of infomation. I note the comments on Sky cards. I have a "second set in UK" subscription which I take over when we go to Mallorca. I haven't received the new card yet but the old one stopped receiving the non Freeview channels on Thursday.

Best wishes.
Old 25th May 2009, 09:46 PM   #18
satandpcguy
Forero

the tdt1 gives a broad view of the area. the postcode checker tells you more exactly if you can receive the signals, as it takes into account local geography and distance from the main tdt receivers.

many areas not covered by signals from a main transmitter are having ner transmitters put up. even so about 5 to 10% of spain will still not be able to get TDT signals via a tv aerial - so the gvmt are looking into providing these by satellite - ie similar to the uk freesat system.

re your card - loss of pay tv channels will depend on so many things - but should not be affected by your multiroom contract as both (all) your sky card will arrive at the same time, and you will know when your new card/s is posted to you as you will get an on screen message saying "insert new card". loss of channels can be down to the fact the sky card has not had the "update" signals from the satellite (a common problems if you use your card in a nonsky box!) and therefore "gone to sleep"...a few days in a sky box will wake this up.
glad you like the site - it shocks so many people about an installer being honest and giving away information for free!

Last edited by satandpcguy; 25th May 2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 26th May 2009, 07:02 AM   #19
greytop
Hero Forero

@ dimonio: We had our community system upgraded a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if they had to change the antenna (the digital system is on different frequencies that older ones cannot receive) but they had to add a distribution amplifier to the central equipment rack. The cabling stays the same. Cost was €270.
It's certainly better to watch but not all the channels are available yet, especially local TV companies. A couple of channels are in dual language as an added bonus!
Old 27th May 2009, 07:40 PM   #20
Alaska
Novato

Unhappy el canal internacional (2da parte)

Hola a todos los espanoles en Londres!! Please, please si quereis seguir viendo el canal internacional por SKY, y no por "other Channels" hay que mandar muchos emails a tveinternacional@rtve.es quejandonos amargamente. Otherwise they won't do a thing. Let's unite and complain!!
Closed Thread