Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 18th May 2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Jim
Forero Senior

Default Mobile broadband in Spain

I have a mobile broadband dongle which works very well.

It dawned on me that this would be a cost effective way to have internet access when abroad. Does anyone know if I can get a PAYG mobile broadband dongle to use in Spain? If so, can I buy this in the UK, or do I have to wait until I get there

Thanks

Jim
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 05:20 AM   #2
greytop
Hero Forero

This price comparison site may have some answers. Or you can look in vodafone.es or other operators sites. I've never seen payg broadband advertised, but maybe they keep quiet about it
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Jim
Forero Senior

Thanks very much greytop.

I think I have found what I need. Unfortunately my Spanish is not yet good enough to understand all of the details.

Could someone please give me a translation of the following?

Much appreciated!

PRECIOS TARJETA PREPAGO
Vodafone te ofrece la posibilidad de disfrutar de acceso a Internet sin necesidad de cuotas mensuales ni compromisos. Solo tienes que adquirir tu Módem USB, recargar tu tarjeta, y comprar bonos para poder beneficiarte de una navegación adaptada a tu consumo.

Dispones de distintos tipos de bonos para que puedas elegir el que más se ajuste a tus necesidades:

Bonos de navegación con modem USB para tarjeta prepago
Bonos Recarga* Volumen Período de validez Texto SMS al 2207
Básico 19 € 150MB 90 días C BAS
Avanzado 39 € 400MB 90 días C AVA
Premium 59 € 1GB 90 días C PRE

Bonos de navegación por tiempo con modem USB para tarjeta prepago
Bonos Recarga* Volumen Período de validez Texto SMS al 2207
Semanal 29 € Ilimitado** 7 días** C SEM
Quincenal 39 € Ilimitado** 15 días** C QUI
Mensual 59 € Ilimitado** 30 días** C MES
*Impuestos indirectos incluidos
**A partir de 1GB consumido no se interrumpe el acceso,sólo baja la velocidad de descarga a 128kbps.

Atención: sin bonos de Internet el precio de la navegación es de 2.9€/9MB (3.36€ IVA inc).Hasta un máximo diario de 14.5€ (16.82€ IVA inc)
Old 19th May 2009, 06:47 PM   #4
greytop
Hero Forero

Straight from Google translate - good enough for government work

PREPAID CARD RATES
Vodafone offers you the chance to enjoy Internet access without the need for monthly fees or commitments. You just have to buy your USB modem, reload your card, and buy bonds in order to take advantage of a navigation adapted to your consumption.

There are different types of bonds you can choose the one that best suits your needs:

Coupons navigation prepaid USB modem card
Reload Bonus * Volume Validity Text SMS to 2207
Basic 150MB 90 days € 19 BAS C
39 € 400 Advanced C AVA 90 days
Premium 1GB € 59 C PRE 90 days

Bonds browsing time with USB modem to prepaid card
Reload Bonus * Volume Validity Text SMS to 2207
Weekly € 29 Unlimited C ** 7 days ** SEM
Fortnightly 39 € 15 days Unlimited ** C ** QUI
€ 59 Monthly Unlimited ** 30 days ** C MES
* Indirect taxes included
** From 1GB consumed access is not interrupted, only lowers the download speed to 128kbps.

Attention: Internet coupons without the price of shipping is 2.9 € / 9MB (€ 3.36 inc VAT). So a daily maximum of € 14.5 (€ 16.82 inc VAT)
Old 19th May 2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Jim
Forero Senior

Thanks very much. Will give google translate a try for these types of things!

Jim
Old 20th May 2009, 03:17 AM   #6
greytop
Hero Forero

It's very useful - I've recently been using it to read a Polish site forum to follow the progress of some falcons in their nests. Once you put the URL in you can hop from page to page in your own language - mas o menos. Just don't rely on it for anything too important
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:23 PM   #7
marcus
Forero

just so you know orange have brought out now prepaid mobile internet. I think it works out like 3 or 4 euros for a day or else 19 euros for a week.

There is unlimited data as far as I know however the catch is they lower the data rate you can download after you´ve downloaded 250MB

http://tiendamovil.orange.es/subport...campaign=movil

While its not suitable for big downloads it could be useful when you find yourself on trains,camping sites or out of the house plus you´re not tied up to any contracts
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 06:57 AM   #8
Sagitario
Jubilado y lovin' it

Default ¡Vaya timo! What a Vodafone Spain rip-off!

Apologies for coming to this thread a bit late in the day but nevertheless, this question of PAYG / Prepago 3G Mobile Broadband as it relates to Spain is something I’ve been looking into of late.

Currently I’m back in the UK until October and for about the past three months I’ve been a user of Vodafone UK’s PAYG 3G Mobile Broadband. During which time I’ve been watching and waiting for Vodafone Spain to launch a similar product, which they have recently got round to doing. And, in my opinion, when compared to the same product on offer in UK, the current Vodafone Spain charging structure for prepaid bandwidth is nothing short of extortionate. How on earth can Vodafone Spain justify charging users effectively 3 times the bandwidth cost when compared to their UK counterparts.

For example see … Vodafone UK:
... Top Up and Go 3G Mobile Broadband
... Price of a connection dongle with 1GB of bandwidth included = 39.00 GBP *(44,00 Euros)
... Each additional IGB = 15.00 GBP *(17,00 Euros)
... Use or lose period = 90 days

Now see … Vodafone Spain:
... Price of a connection dongle with 150MB of bandwidth included = 49,00 Euros *(43.35 GBP)
... Each additional 150MB = 19,00 Euros *(16.35 GBP)
... Each additional 400MB = 39,00 Euros *(34.50 GBP)
... Each additional 1GB = 59,00 Euros *(52.00 GBP)

Having looked at both the PAYG 3G Mobile Broadband offerings currently on the market from ... Movistar … and … Orange … and on the grounds that their prepaid charging structures are based on a “use or lose” daily rate rather than one of Vodafone’s 90 days, neither of them appeals to me. For to my thinking, it defeats the whole object of the exercise if I am being forced to use or lose bandwidth that I’ve already paid for within an allotted 24-hour time frame rather than use it more effectively at a time of my own choosing.

When it comes to PAYG 3G Mobile Broadband, I prefer the Vodafone way of doing things but I certainly won’t be doing it when in Spain at current Vodafone bandwidth prices.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

* Note that for exchange rate comparison purposes 1 Euro = 0.88 GBP
Sagitario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Jim
Forero Senior

Thanks for the info Sagitario.

I also came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the money.

Jim
Old 16th September 2009, 10:32 AM   #10
stisuhum
Novato

Hi, nice to meet you. Your posting is very interesting
stisuhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 03:56 PM   #11
JCo
Novato

Post Prepay SIM in Spain

I bought one of these for use in my Sony Vaio, which has built in WWAN. It was a nightmare, and no help from Vodafone, to set up, but at last it is working. At least they extended the validity of my Mb to end October.

I think they have improved their rates meanwhile. I must say it is really fast, and even works with my POP3 email. Though apparently they don't allow you to use Skype.

I have two questions, if any geeks out there has the answer I would be grateful to hear:
1. To find out how much credit I have left on my SIM, do I have to remove it and stick it in my phone?
2. When I do come to top it up, do I have to specify that I am topping up the data Mb, and not the phone pre-pay?

What I do know, is that the pre-pay SIM in Spain for data (HSDPA) is exactly the same as for normal phone use. That's why I wonder about how I top it up for data.

JCo.
JCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 04:08 PM   #12
greytop
Hero Forero

I have a Vodafone phone PAYG and topping it up doesn't distinguish between the two. You just put money on and spend it on either. I can access my account via their web site and see what is left on the card so that may work for you too.
Old 20th September 2009, 05:38 AM   #13
Sagitario
Jubilado y lovin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCo
I bought one of these for use in my Sony Vaio, which has built in WWAN. It was a nightmare, and no help from Vodafone, to set up, but at last it is working.
I can well imagine the “nightmare” scenario of getting it configured correctly in an acceptable WWAN connection utility way. Why am I not surprised you got no help from Vodafone … their customer service is generally, woeful concerning any matter above the most basic inquiry … that is if many of the comments on Vodafone’s self-help forums are anything to go by … from the vodafone.co.uk forum homepage you’ll find the link to any number of Vodafone Mobile Broadband topics amongst all the links at the foot of the page. While I daresay that Vodafone Spain have a similar self-help forum I can’t find a link to it.

Quote:
Though apparently they don't allow you to use Skype.
And, I understand that goes for any other non-Vodafone VOIPs using Vodafone’s mobile broadband network … Vodafone don’t like ‘em for they are basically, the competition when it comes to voice traffic.

Quote:
I must say it is really fast, and even works with my POP3 email.
That’s because, while having been around in one form or another for quite some time now, POP3 is still usually the default email setting (together with IMAP) for most broadband ISP portals.

Quote:
I have two questions, if any geeks out there has the answer I would be grateful to hear:
1. To find out how much credit I have left on my SIM, do I have to remove it and stick it in my phone?
2. When I do come to top it up, do I have to specify that I am topping up the data Mb, and not the phone pre-pay?
Although I’m currently a USB plug-in dongle type of user, when you connect up to the Vodafone system you should get displayed, what Vodafone refer to as a dashboard. The function of which is to tell the user such information as, speed, rate and amount of data transference, strength of signal, duration of connection time, etc. There should also be direct links to your Vodafone account that tells the user how much monetary credit remains and how to top up on online when additional credit is required. However, if for some reason, there isn’t a dashboard display and assuming that you haven’t already done so, you should be able to create a username and password online account on the relevant Vodafone country site for the registering your SIM card number in order that you can regularly check your outstanding credit and top up accordingly.

As greytop stated, when you finally get round to topping up, subject to what fixed amount of data Mb you are buying, it doesn’t matter what purpose it is going to be used for. What matters is the particular Vodafone tariff being applied when used.

Out of curiosity, hook up this broadband download and upload speed checker and tell me what kind of Vodfone Mobile 3G readings you are getting.
Old 21st September 2009, 02:28 PM   #14
JCo
Novato

Default Vodafone in Spain

I registered with Vodafone in Spain (mi Vodafone) so now I can see my account balance, in euros, but not my remaining MB. I am loath to download anything (e.g. Dashboard) from Vodafone in case I mess up my, now working, connection using Globetrotter Connect software. I can also top-up online, buy more MB, etc.

Registering with mi Vodafone requires you to enter some id info, then they send you an SMS containing a code, which you then enter to complete registration. This involves removing the SIM from the PC, sticking it in a phone, reading the SMS, then put back in PC, reboot, then register. It would be useful to be able to send and receive SMS messages from the PC directly; anyone know how to do that?

And the speed question; it is 984 Kbps download and 332 Kbps upload. Is that OK?
JCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 07:08 PM   #15
Sagitario
Jubilado y lovin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCo
It would be useful to be able to send and receive SMS messages from the PC directly; anyone know how to do that?
Unfortunately, the present range of Microsoft SMS Installers are only capable of sending SMS messages, they are unable to receive and correctly read SMS data.

Another unfortunate is that there is a Google app available by the name of Google Voice that can both send and receive SMS text via a PC / Laptop but that is currently only available for US users.

The only other alternative I can suggest is that you take a look at Vodafone’s Mobile Connect software downloadable packages that supposedly enable a PC / Laptop to send and receive SMS text over Vodafone’s Mobile Network. But as I've never had reason to try out such software I can't really pass any comment about their effectiveness.

Quote:
And the speed question; it is 984 Kbps download and 332 Kbps upload. Is that OK?
Not fantastic but it's OK and on a 3G high-speed broadband scale of 1 to 5 is about the quivalent of a strength 3 signal. However, if that’s at daylight speed you should likely find that darkness will increase that rate by a couple of 100Kps. Lack of the Sun’s powers of solar radiation on the night-time side of the earth has the effect of reducing atmospheric gases in the ionoshere, hence why radio signals tend to have a longer range at night than during the day – they can bounce a lot further.
Old 3rd February 2010, 03:07 PM   #16
Lars Ekdahl
Novato

Sigitario wrote: How on earth can Vodafone Spain justify charging users effectively 3 times the bandwidth cost when compared to their UK counterparts

Does anyone know if there has been any changes in the rates in Spain?
Lars Ekdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 05:48 PM   #17
greytop
Hero Forero

Latest quotes from phonehouse.es
Old 3rd February 2010, 07:12 PM   #18
Lars Ekdahl
Novato

Smile

For example see … Vodafone UK:
... Price of a connection dongle with 1GB of bandwidth included = 39.00 GBP *(44,00 Euros)
... Each additional IGB = 15.00 GBP *(17,00 Euros)

Now see … Vodafone Spain:
... Price of a connection dongle with 150MB of bandwidth included = 49,00 Euros *(43.35 GBP)
... Each additional 150MB = 19,00 Euros *(16.35 GBP)
... Each additional 400MB = 39,00 Euros *(34.50 GBP)
... Each additional 1GB = 59,00 Euros *(52.00 GBP)

Thanks
I was more hoping that the difference in price in this previous comparison now was less. Will spend 4 weeks in Nerja in November. Maybe I can hope they have decreased the price in Spain by then, alltough I guess my whife prefer I visite an Internet Café instead of bringing my portable PC with me during our holiday
Lars Ekdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 07:18 AM   #19
greytop
Hero Forero

That seems a lot. The Orange PAYG data for example (after you've bought a dongle)

Tarifa Internet Everywhere Prepago

• Precio por uso: 3,90 €/día de conexión (día natural).
  • Superado 250 MB: se baja la velocidad a 128 kbps.
  • Precio/SMS: 15 cents.
Expensive if you use it every day - perhaps a mobile with data lead would be cheaper?
Old 26th June 2010, 10:38 AM   #20
nigelmercier
Novato

Default Contacting Mobile Broadband Operators?

Having spent an hour on the Orange.es site (via Bing Translate) trying to find a "Contact Us" link, I gave up.

Does anyone have a link for Orange, and the other Mobile Broadband Operators?
nigelmercier is offline   Reply With Quote