Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum

Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/index.php)
-   N.I.S. Intermediate podcast comments (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Translations (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7064)

natalie 25th November 2008 07:37 AM

Translations

Has anyone got any full translations of any of the Intermediate podcasts?
In the Beginners, Ben encourages us to try the Intermediate podcasts. I am trying, and and am finding the lack of translation very frustrating. It takes sooooooooooooooooooo long to look up words in a dictionary.:D

What online dictionaries and translation services do people like?

gary 25th November 2008 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natalie (Post 65433)
Has anyone got any full translations of any of the Intermediate podcasts?
In the Beginners, Ben encourages us to try the Intermediate podcasts. I am trying, and and am finding the lack of translation very frustrating. It takes sooooooooooooooooooo long to look up words in a dictionary.:D

What online dictionaries and translation services do people like?

The secret to success is application - the seat of the pantsto the seat of the chair (Mark Twain I think)

The best way to learn is to put in the effort. An electronic dictionary or translation engine may help. wordreference.com speeds up translation.

You only have to learn vocab once and slogging threough the work just has to be done. It gets easier as you go along as your vocab increases

greytop 25th November 2008 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natalie (Post 65433)
Has anyone got any full translations of any of the Intermediate podcasts?...

Go here and click on "get the worksheets"

gary 25th November 2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greytop (Post 65435)
Go here and click on "get the worksheets"

Think thats a transcript not a translation...

natalie 25th November 2008 09:15 AM

Translations

I have the worksheets, but they only have the transcriptions, not the translations. I like to put both the transcription and the translation into Excel, and practice translating from English into Spanish. I therefore want to know that my English translation is correct.

Here is a tip for Excel users. To check if your answer matches the model answer, use adjacent cells. Use the arrow keys to toggle between the cells, but look at the formula bar. If the cells have the same data the formula bar doesn't change. Even missing accents become obvious when looking at the formula bar.

Edith 25th November 2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary (Post 65434)
You only have to learn vocab once and slogging threough the work just has to be done. It gets easier as you go along as your vocab increases

Hi Natalie, I agree with Gary - working on your vocab is important, and your efforts will pay off eventually. This is also true as far as grammar is concerned (a subject which I often find boring). No pain, no gain... ;)

greytop 26th November 2008 06:50 AM

Re-direct

I've started a new thread with the interesting bits about writing training aids. You'll find it here