Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum

Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/index.php)
-   Spanish Basics - Vocab and Grammar Q & A (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Phrases for watch where you are going.... (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11474)

kenpeace 13th September 2010 11:46 PM

Phrases for watch where you are going....

Following on from the recent thread about getting out of the way. How about some useful phrases for when someone bangs into you or blocks your path.

In English I would say something like.
"Hey, watch yourself"
"Oy! Watch out"
or similar.

After the summer to rest, I am back to studying again.

Cheers

Pippa 14th September 2010 12:24 AM

¡Oye! ¡Mira por donde vas!
¿Qué pasa? ¿No tienes ojos en la cara o qué?

mightykaboosh 15th September 2010 01:17 AM

Pippa, I'm loving the second expression, I don't know enough Spaniards to generalise but it seems that you're not backward in coming forward and I love that..... it's a dying art.

Could you suggest a good translation for "testy" in Spanish that's not too colloquial?

(I tried Ben's "no hay tu tia" line from the latest notesfromspain blog on a guy from Barcelona the other day,he didn't think that it made any sense whatsoever).

Uriel 15th September 2010 03:16 AM

I love that they use the confrontational "or what?" the same way we do -- that will make it so much easier for me to get myself into trouble when I pick a fight!

Ben 15th September 2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightykaboosh (Post 92048)
(I tried Ben's "no hay tu tia" line from the latest notesfromspain blog on a guy from Barcelona the other day,he didn't think that it made any sense whatsoever).

That's odd! Apart from the taxi driver I quoted, Marina's dad uses it all the time! Maybe it's not commonly used in Catalonia.

Pippa 15th September 2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightykaboosh (Post 92048)
Pippa, I'm loving the second expression, I don't know enough Spaniards to generalise but it seems that you're not backward in coming forward and I love that..... it's a dying art.

Could you suggest a good translation for "testy" in Spanish that's not too colloquial?

Thanks, mkb. I used to be veeery veery shy as a child, but I can tell you that not anymore. ;D

Not sure what do you mean by "testy". I would say that on its own would mean difícil, o irritable. I am a bit confused, as "no hay tu tía" I would say it is more or less equivalent to "no way, Jose". I couldn't see "no hay tu tía" in the link you gave, so I am not sure what has to do with "testy"

As Ben says, it may not be used in Barcelona, and it certainly has no sense as a modern sentence, but apparently it used to be "no hay tutía". Tutía was an old word for some sort of ointment, but it has been converted into the modern phrase: "no hay tu tía" as nobody knows what tutía is (or was!). Here is a link where it gets explained.