Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum

Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/index.php)
-   Geek's Corner (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Dilemma - what MP3 to buy (http://www.notesfromspain.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11029)

kenpeace 4th May 2010 10:10 PM

Dilemma - what MP3 to buy

My much loved 4 year old (or so) iPod has finally given up the ghost - 80GB 5th gen I think.

What should I buy to replace it? It seems crazy to replace like with like when technology has moved on so far, but why make it hard and complicated.

Comments appreciated. What would you buy and why?

Thanks
Ken

ValenciaSon 5th May 2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenpeace (Post 88964)
My much loved 4 year old (or so) iPod has finally given up the ghost - 80GB 5th gen I think.

What should I buy to replace it? It seems crazy to replace like with like when technology has moved on so far, but why make it hard and complicated.

Comments appreciated. What would you buy and why?

Thanks
Ken

Are you looking for similar memory capacity?

kenpeace 5th May 2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValenciaSon (Post 88970)
Are you looking for similar memory capacity?

Yep - I carry a decent musical library and a heap of podcasts (some known to us all) and audio books.

I could drop somewhat I don't have my 80GB full - that would be crazy.

Cheers

Ben 5th May 2010 09:42 AM

If your iPod was much loved, then I don't think any other user experience will match that iPod 'look and feel' - I'd get another one of those - an iPod Touch if you can stretch to it, then you get all the benefits of wifi etc too. Otherwise, I've heard nice things about the Sony ones: http://www.scripting.com/stories/200...nyWalkman.html

I'd still probably get another iPod though!

parubin 5th May 2010 10:54 AM

You can download Spotify in your iPod-Touch and have access to all your playlists even off line.

I think there is no need to download files anymore as long as you have Spotify, that is for music.

For audiobooks, radio shows, podcasts and so on the iPod-Touch still is the best one as it has iTunes on it.

kenpeace 5th May 2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parubin (Post 88984)
For audiobooks, radio shows, podcasts and so on the iPod-Touch still is the best one as it has iTunes on it.

Good point actually, I do a lot of podcasts (love the BBC) and I have spent ages getting iTunes setup just right.

The touch is winning at the mo. Can I use my lovely sound isolating custom phones with the iTouch or is it a stupid custom jack?

greytop 5th May 2010 09:50 PM

Apple may be able to answer that - see iPod specs

• Dock connector
  • 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack

kenpeace 5th May 2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greytop (Post 89002)

• Dock connector
  • 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack

Brill! Amazon here I come. I had to fly back from Madrid today - not good with no audible entertainment, especially as I was not enjoying the library book I took.

greytop 6th May 2010 09:22 AM

Why not take the headset along and ask for a trial?

ValenciaSon 6th May 2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenpeace (Post 88980)
Yep - I carry a decent musical library and a heap of podcasts (some known to us all) and audio books.

I could drop somewhat I don't have my 80GB full - that would be crazy.

Cheers

The iPod Classic at 160 GB is the only current iPod I see which meets (exceeds) that requirement.

parubin 6th May 2010 12:56 PM

Dumb question (excuse me but I'm everything but a tech-geek) :

Why should capacity be so important when most contents are accessible on line?

Shouldn´t big hard drives give way to fast and wide internet connection?

Why do I need any kind device at my home (cds, hard drives or whatever) intended to collect and file music when it is instantaneously available on line everywhere?

I think we are approaching the end of big capacity domestic hardware, being substituted by on-line resources, such as Spotify, for instance.