View Single Post
Old 31st October 2008, 10:40 AM   #19
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro Callejero View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't see how that is possible. The direct object is what is being given. Mi padre da.... My father gives...what? A kiss. The kiss (beso) has to be the direct object. To whom/for whom is the kiss? To my mother, therefore mother is the indirect object, which must be represented as "le" and reinforced as "a mi madre."

If the pronoun were for a direct object, it would have to be lo, since it referring to the kiss which is the direct object in this case.
I'm taking sides with Tad on this one.

If you are talking about a kiss being given, then you would indeed use the indirect object pronoun:
A mi madre le dio un beso
because the verb being used is "dar" and that works with indirect objects (you can give something to someone). In this case, the kiss has become the direct object (it is the thing that is directly acted upon) and the mother has become the indirect object.

However, in this case we are not talking about a kiss being given, we are talking about someone being kissed, the verb being used is "besar" (not "dar") and the person being kissed is the object that is directly acted upon.

Last edited by Legazpi; 31st October 2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelin
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote