View Single Post
Old 4th February 2010, 01:29 PM   #2
gary
Samuri Forero

Okay, first, yes there are pickpockets but they are not muggers. Avoid standing about watching the street entertainers on the Ramblas for instance especially vigorous betting on a three card game or similar. When you sit in a bar or restaurant dont put your bag on the floor or the crippled guy that bumps into you will whip it away with his stick - either way you wont know much about it!! Dont engage in conversation with an aparently friendly local on a steet corner while hes chatting he may have his hand in your bag.
Dont dress like a tourist goes without saying
Passeig de Gracia is in quite a pleasant well heeled area you could walk away from the centre (uphill) and marvel at the Coco Channel window which contains only the single handbag. La pedrera and Casa Batillo are there. Alternatively walk downhill to P Cataluna and keeping Corte ingles on your immediate left cross at the crossing and go straight on down Portal Del Angels. Down here off to the left in an alley you will finf Quatre Gats - Picasso and his cronies drank there - Menu del dia very nice.
In portal dels Angels the way forks to the left is the cathedral. Take the right fork and you will pass a perfumery and an icecream/wagffle place. as you round the corner take the left down a narrow street to plaza de pi. cross the plaza and keep the church to your left. follow the road round and you finish up on Las Ramblas
If yiu have time turn left to the sea passing Plaza Real on the left down Colon and Rambla de mar right at the end. If no time when emerging from Pi on to the ramblas turn right and that will bring you bach to cataluna n home.

As you walk up The Ramblas from the sea Raval is to your left and Bario Gotico to the right. There are lots of narrow dark winding streets in the Bario Gotico and it feels a bit iffy, in fact Raval is the Shadier of the two areas if anything.

I spend 12 weeks a year in BCN and feel much safer than I do in Manchester or Leeds, Mrs C lost har handbag last year in the way described above - advice would be to make sure you only have the stuff on you that you really need - tickets, passports and credit cards were back at base - the real pain is making a police report and stopp[ing any card, cancelling phones and making insurance claims

I will be back in BCN this summer for two weeks and I am Soooo looking forward to it

Have a great time - and RELAX!!!!

The petty thieves are opportunists andBCN is certainly no worse than any other big city,
gary is offline   Reply With Quote