View Single Post
Old 17th January 2008, 03:39 AM   #35
MissLena
Forero

Default Microsoft's procedure for enabling accents in XP

[I checked both threads here on this subject and, to my surprise, did not see MicroSlop's own solution. Here it is...]

Microsoft's procedure for enabling accents in XP is given at http://support.microsoft.com/default...6560&sd=tech#2

I just now followed these instructions (took a couple minutes and a reboot) and now I type the accent I want [ ' ` ^ ~ ] and the character I want it on [a...u] and I get all this lovely stuff: ....

and I hold down [right-alt] and type ?/ or 1! and get

[woo-hoo!]

Very easy. Much easier than all the other goofy stuff mentioned... [for XP users, that is]

Because MicroSlop likes to change their links around periodically just to break stuff, and because you're unbelieveably lazy, I reproduce the instructions for you right here (see the link above for more characters and custom keys):

===================================
Adding the United States-International Keyboard Layout [ XP ONLY !!! ]

To add the United States-International keyboard layout, follow these steps:

1.Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2.Under Pick a category, click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options.

3.Under or pick a Control Panel icon, click Regional and Language Options.

The Regional and Language Options dialog box appears.

4.On the Languages tab, click Details.

The Text Services and Input Languages dialog box appears.

5.Under Installed services, click Add.

The Add Input language dialog box appears.6.In the Input language list, click the language that you want. For example, English (United States).

NOTE: When you use the United States-International keyboard layout, you should also use an English language setting.

7.In the Keyboard layout/IME list, click United States-International, and then click OK.

8.In the Select one of the installed input languages to use when you start your computer list, click Language name - United States-International (where Language name is the language that you selected in step 6), and then click OK.

9.In the Regional and Language Options dialog box, click OK.

Notice that the Language bar appears on the taskbar. When you position the mouse pointer over it, a ToolTip appears that describes the active keyboard layout. For example, United States-International.

10.Click the Language bar, and then click United States-International on the shortcut menu that appears.

The United States-International keyboard layout is selected.

===================================

Last edited by MissLena; 17th January 2008 at 03:47 AM.
MissLena is offline   Reply With Quote