View Single Post
Old 24th August 2010, 08:30 PM   #24
Urgellenk
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legazpi View Post
I checked this with my wife last night and she said that while "te veo mañana" is more commonly used, "te veré mañana" is still perfectly correct.
Your wife is completely right. There is, however, as in English, a slight difference between "te veo" and "te veré". Using the present tense, you indicate that your are certain that the event will take place, while the future tense leaves room for a certain degree of uncertainty (inherent to any future situation).

The usage of these tenses in normal conversation differs between English and Spanish though. In English, we try to cover ourselves from the possibility that the event will not take place and will use "I'll see you tomorrow". In Spanish, we use "te veo mañana" because it is perceived as showing a higher degree of commitment to make it happen. Yet, the present tense is sometimes also used when the speaker knows perfectly that the event will never take place. Like when after a date somebody says "te llamo", knowing that that is never going to happen. Of course, it will not hurt the listener's feelings as much as a highly hypothetical "te llamaré".
Urgellenk is offline   Reply With Quote