View Single Post
Old 24th August 2010, 08:44 PM   #25
Urgellenk
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
According to my Spanish teacher, le/les should be used when speaking about people, e.g. Le compré un libro - I bought him/her a book. But in spoken Spanish she often hears people here in Spain using lo/la etc - apparently quite acceptable but not grammatically correct. But then in English, our spoken English isn't always grammatically correct!
I believe there must have been a small misunderstanding here. Le/les are used for all indirect objects, be they people, animals, plants or things.

Some people in some parts of Spain use "la" (laísmo) where "le" should be used. For instance, many people from Madrid will say "la" compré el libro (I gave her the book) instead of "le" compré el libro, because they also practice "leísmo" and the the "le" pronoun does not sound feminin to their ears. In theory, the phenomenon of "loísmo" also exists (using "lo" where "le" should be used), but it is so rare or maybe restricted to a certain area that I have never come across it.

"Laísmo" and "loísmo" are always considered as poor Spanish. Thus, the only correct form is "le compré el libro" (never "la" compré el libro - which you will often hear in parts of Spain - or "lo" compré el libro). On the other hand, in sentences like "I saw him yesterday" the most correct form should be "lo vi ayer" (as it is a direct object), but the use of "le vi ayer" is so widespread that it has become perfectly acceptable when referring to male persons. At least, the Academy of the Spanish Language accepts it as a valid form.

Last edited by Urgellenk; 24th August 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Urgellenk is offline   Reply With Quote