Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Warm up area > A nice place for new members to say hello

Notices

Old 7th July 2010, 06:07 AM   #1
Peter_Izn
Campo dweller

Post My intro plus other stuff.

I live and work in Spain.
I have owned proporty here for well over twenty years. For the first sixteen I had a small holiday flat in Marbella, which I swapped for a yacht (another story)

Although I was the fourth 'owner', I was never the legal owner. When I sold it, the escritura was passed from the first (registered) owner to the fifth, the person I sold it too. This suited me, as I never owned it, there were no taxes to pay, when I passed it on.

During the time that I owned the flat I was working in Dubai, as a marine consultant (I am an ex mariner). I became fed up with Dubai and could not stand the many changes, so I asked my employer If I could open an office in Spain, using my flat. This was succesfully achieved. I am now working for myself carrying out risk assessment inspection of oil, gas & chemical tankers. I cover Spain and Portugal occasionally South of France, Italy and Morocco.

After a year, I found that is impossible to live / work in a holiday flat on what was mainly a holiday complex. So I sold it and for the same money, brought an ex flour mill / bakery with a cottage attached, It has 2000 m2 of arrable land, plus 4000m2 of olives. I have converted the mill to my residence and have friends living in the cottage. It is over 200 years old, the huge wood fire bread oven is still in situ, it is in full working order (nothing to go wrong), but not used as I have a woodburning range, for cooking, hot water and central heating. Hot water is via solar panels in summer. Pic attached I live up one of the inlets to the right of the long bridge.

I chose the area where I live, because I wanted to live in the country, but had to have good communications, as I travel a lot. Here I have Granada airport 45 mins away, and Malaga (which I do not use, unless I have to, about 75-90 mins. I am 10 mins from the A92, which gives me excellent road access to ports in Spain & Portugal.

I have mains water and electricity. Telephone is via telefonica's Trac II and internet by satellite.

Vistors from the group are welcomed.

I enjoy the NFS podcasts a lot, I was driving from Cartagena to my home the day before yesterday listening to the Los Gazquez – Notes from Spain Podcast 77, I was on

the A92N passing through Vélez-Rubio at the time. ¡What a co-incidence!

Ref:-
Costa de Luz / Jerez podcast caballa = mackerel.

Fino is dry sherry. If it was brewed in Sanlúcar de Barrameda, it is called Manzanilla, one of four manzanilla I know of, I expect there are more, my Spanish is not too good, I may join “Notes in Spanish” time willing. Fino is served cold other sherrys at room temperature, Harveys caused a big stir in the UK several years with a advert showing a chilled bottle of their fino chilled with a scherry glass, the caption was "try it chilled". A lot of bars in Spain have cartons of fino plumbed into a
special carton chilling device.

I work and travel a lot in Spain & Portugal and seem to have visited most of the places mentioned in the podcast. They are great congrats

It is hot 44ºC today, but at least the humidity is low up here in the mountains
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iznajar aerial.jpg (97.6 KB, 4 views)
Peter_Izn is offline   Reply With Quote