Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spain Travel - Advice and Experiences

Notices

Old 9th July 2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Jim
Forero Senior

Default Santander

Can anyone give me tips on the best way to get from UK (preferably Scotland, ideally Aberdeen) to Santander.

Preferably as cheaply as possible.

Thanks

Jim
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Pippa
GigaForero

There are flights from London Stansted to Santander with Ryanair (if you can stand them), and the airport is only about 6-7km from the centre of town with regular buses from the airport.
Flights from London Stansted to Bilbao with Easyjet. Bilbao is 100km from Santander. There are reasonably regular buses (and reasonably cheap) from the Bilbao's bus station to Santander. There is also a bus from the airport to the bus station.

The problem is getting from Aberdeen to London Stansted. I see that Easyjet goes to London Luton. I don't know if you have any flights in any other airline going to Stansted.

I have done the trip from England (and Wales) to Santander many, many times over the years. I have done it by train, by boat, by car and by plane. The ones I mentioned above are the cheapest (and quickest), although Ryanir is a bit of a trial on my nerves. With lots of time and for a long holiday, I prefer the boat to Normandy and then car, but is neither the cheapest or quickest.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Peter_Izn
Campo dweller

Default UK - Santander

Brittany Ferries Plymouth-Santander, much better than P&O's Southampton - Bilbao
Peter_Izn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Pippa
GigaForero

Well, I have not mentioned Brittany ferries to Santander because going to Plymouth from Aberdeen is not that easy. And certainly not cheaper that the other options I mentioned. I must say that seing the bay of Santander from the ferry early in the morning, is a wonderful view, but then, it is my hometown.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 01:08 PM   #5
Jim
Forero Senior

I did consider the ferry, but as you mention Pippa, Plymouth is not exactly close to Aberdeen.

As Ryanair fly to Santander, I could get a flight from Aberdeen via Dublin

Jim
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote