Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 26th March 2006, 03:39 PM   #1
Ben
Hero Forero

Default How to type Spanish accents

Typing Spanish accents is easy if you have a Spanish keyboard at your fingertips (though many Spaniards don't always bother ).

For other keyboards around the world, there is an explanation of different ways to get the accents here. (Don't worry though, if you leave a few off in this forum we won't mind )

Firefox Users: Please note that the alt+number method for typing accents does not work with this forum when browsing with Firefox (it's a forum coding thing). We're very sorry about this!

Last edited by greytop; 13th August 2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: firefox now works - greyed comment
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Alan
El Listo ;)

Setting up your keyboard to international settings gives a much more natural feeling anyway. AltGr + a = á is much more natural than Alt + 0245. But, if you really want to use the Alt + numbers method, just type your post into Wordpad or something then copy and paste.

I'm using a United Kingdom extended keyboard setting, and the only problem I'm having at the moment is ¿ and ¡. Accents can be typed using AltGr and ` keys (Gàidhlig uses the grave accent). The tilde can be typed using AltGr+~ , THEN n.

Even better, if you're a Windows user, you can set your OWN keyboard layout to suit the languages that you type in. You can set special combinations to allow you to easily or more easily type certain characters. I don't use those curly brackets much, and what is that | key there for anyway? Get some use from them:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 08:55 PM   #3
Sin
Forero

Default MoreKeys

There's a neat little free utility here. It opens in a small window that's always on top; and it gives you, at hand, all the accented letters.

http://www.braser.com/pr_mk1.html
Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 06:24 AM   #4
Marina
NFS Admin

Just out of interest, in Unix or Linux one use | to execute one command over the result of another one (is called pipe) .
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 08:07 AM   #5
Alan
El Listo ;)

Yeah It's also used to create an OR operator in C/C++ as ||
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 08:17 AM   #6
timg
Mega Forero

Under Windows XP you can set your keyboard to have more than 1 layout. I have mine set to UK normally, but I can switch to Spanish layout with a (configurable) combination of keys. It remains as a QWERTY keyboard, but the punctuation keys change to allow you to type the accented characters, the ñ and the ¿¡ characters. Also, under Linux you can use setxkbmap to do the same thing (if you're using a graphical interface such as Gnome).
timg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2006, 07:50 PM   #7
tad
virtual idiot

Default yes it's good

After failing to do the international keyboard thing I tried the allchars utility suggested by Mark -very good and no fiddly triple fingered key combinations.
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 09:07 AM   #8
Hugo
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Typing Spanish accents is easy if you have a Spanish keyboard at your fingertips (though many Spaniards don't always bother ).

For other keyboards around the world, there is an explanation of different ways to get the accents here. (Don't worry though, if you leave a few off in this forum we won't mind )

Firefox Users: Please note that the alt+number method for typing accents does not work with this forum when browsing with Firefox (it's a forum coding thing). We're very sorry about this!

Hola Ben
I have enclosed in an attachment my way of using accent I find it very usefull, I an 72 and taking a Open University course in spanish this year, I love your chats with your wife great for my listening practice. Thank Hughie (Hugo)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Using accent keys on a standard keyboardwithout.doc (19.5 KB, 6 views)
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 05:52 PM   #9
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
Hola Ben
I have enclosed in an attachment my way of using accent I find it very usefull, I an 72 and taking a Open University course in spanish this year, I love your chats with your wife great for my listening practice. Thank Hughie (Hugo)
Hola Hugo

¡Suerte con tu carrera en la universidad abierta!

Saludos.
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 10:03 AM   #10
nievesalvarez
Novato

Oh Ben,
Thank you.
I know different different languages but i never try my self in a Spanish. I thought its really different and very tough to learn but after reading your thread i realized that why i can't learn it?
I must try my self to learn this things.

So i visit that all information you provided and finally decided to learn Spanish through this program.
I am really very thankful to you.
nievesalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 01:02 AM   #11
Garry Knight
Forero Senior

I've just joined the forums and, since I use Linux (Kubuntu 9.04) I thought I'd let any other Linux users know the keys I use to post in Spanish. Here's the list:

Code:
AltGr   ;    á é í ó ú
        [    ü
        ]    ñ
        _    ¿
        1    ¡
        z    «
        x    »
Explanation: Hold down the AltGr key and press the key in the 2nd column (e.g. for the vowels, hold down AltGr and press , then press the vowel of your choice. So, for example, to type an á, hold down AltGr and press ; then press the a key. Note that in order to type a ¿ you need to hold down AltGr and press Shift + - (to get the _).

I hope this all makes sense but if it's not clear, just try it. Any questions, just ask.
Garry Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 03:04 PM   #12
Jane Wylen
Forero

Default Typing Spanish (and French) Accents

I have a Mac. Therefore, typing accents is a cinch. If you have a PC, you can type your text at this site, http://spanish.typeit.org/, and then cut and paste.

Ben's PC solutions are probably more elegant, but they do appear rather daunting.
Jane Wylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 07:30 AM   #13
greytop
Hero Forero

Default CopyPasteCharacter page

An ingenious way of adding non standard characters to your work. ñ for example. I just clicked on it in the page of characters and then <CTRL>V in this post. It stays in the clipboard until you overwrite it.
Some more ideas in Lifehacker may also be of use.

☃ ☂
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote