Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 5th May 2010, 12:53 AM   #1
Mark_S
Novato

Default Copa Mundial 2010

¿Cual equipo apoyarás?

Mi respuesta es, lo de Paraguay, porque vivía allí por muchos años.

¡Fuerza Albirroja!
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 10:43 AM   #2
mightykaboosh
Mega Forero

Has leido mi mente casi, Opoyare Inglaterra como siempre, pero no tengo mucha confianza en ellos. Pienso que Brasil ganara el copa mundial. Deceria Spain pero pienso que Torres no estara bien y Villa es mitad el jugador de Torres. (Don't know how to say this in Spanish, but Xavi has a 3cm tear in his calf so I don't think he'll be going either.

Quien os pensais ganar el copa mundial?

Mis consejos para el Copa (en orden descendente) son:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...es/default.stm

Brazil (Group of death)
Spain (Their first 11 would/ should win it + they have probably the best auxiliary striker in the world in Gerard Pique ).
England (Have an easy group ((famous last words)))
Germany (Tough group)
Argentina (Have an easy group, but Argentina were useless in qualifying. Largely due to Maradona's inability to find a formation which would allow Messi to shine).
Italy (Easy group, watch them cruise through like last time, playing awful football whilst getting favourable, but crucial decisions in their favour).
Holland (Decent group & they have some good players, the Real Madrid rejects will both play in the Champions League Final).
France (Due a performance but they have a manager who is absolutely despised by the supporters and has failed to deliver).
Portugal (Group of death)

Last edited by mightykaboosh; 5th May 2010 at 11:30 AM.
mightykaboosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 10:48 AM   #3
parubin
el del espejo

Spain has in impressive lineup for every part of the pitch, maybe the best in the world, but you have to be cautious when it comes to Spain in Worldcups.

Besides, many key players haven´t been playing much lately due to injuries (Torres, Cesc Fabregas, Iniesta) and Xavi has been playing the last games for FC Barcelona half injured. Let's see how fit they are when the time is right.
parubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Legazpi
Mega Forero

I think it's very open this year. Taking into account players and their ability to play as a team, I think Spain has the best chance. I believe Xavi is more impoprtant to them than Torres, Xavi is the heart of the team and the way they play (note how Messi struggles in the Argentina team without Xavi to pull the opposition out of shape). If Xavi is fit then Spain have the best chance.

Argentina also have great players, but a dodgy manager, and they'll miss Riquelme. If Messi performs then they can beat anyone.

Brazil have their worst team for about twenty years, and the fact that they still have a chance says a lot about the teams they've had for the last 20 years. However they might get knocked out in the group stages.

I hope/expect an African team will make it to the semis - maybe the Ivory Coast if they make it out of the group stages.

After those 4 then there's the usual teams that always have a chance if they get lucky. England have an easy draw, and a good manager, but they suffer from not having a decent goalkeeper, and can't take penalties.

Last edited by Legazpi; 5th May 2010 at 01:33 PM.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 09:56 PM   #5
mightykaboosh
Mega Forero

This Brazil team of 2010 would murder the 1998 Ronaldo team. (i.e the one where Nike as sponsors demanded that Ronaldo had to play even though he'd had a series of seizures leading up to the game) Dunga's the manager now and he has taught Brazil how to defend, this is probably the best Brazil team in 20 years, remember you're talking from 1990 onwards.

"Brazil won the South American qualifying tournament with ease, and could afford to lose and draw their last two matches with Bolivia and Venezuela respectively. Coach Dunga ignored those who criticised his style of play as Luis Fabiano starred in attack and Julio Cesar in goal. During their campaign, they beat Argentina 3-1 away for the first time in 14 years"

The Argentina team wouldn't of even made it to the world cup without the help of 36 year old Martin Palermo, Higuain was firing blanks..... just like when Madrid got knocked out by Lyon, so Maradona chanced his arm and recalled Palermo. (Palermo of ex Villareal ex Betis and ex 2nd Division Alaves fame ((hardly a world beater)).

Xavi is injured, he might be playing now but by the time the world cup rocks up his 3cm tear in his calf is going to be a 5cm tear. When people play on with tears they end up like Michael Owen. The muscle tissue grows back but it only has 80% of the tensile strength and thus they are even more prone to injury. Guardiola should of wrapped Xavi up in cotton wool ahead of the World Cup. Fabregas has spent most of the season either injured or looking tired and Torres is a doubt full stop. You're right it all hangs on Xavi, no one passes the ball like Xavi his distribution and pass completion rates are phenominal. I hope they all play, and play well.

England have a GREAT keeper and his name is Joe Hart, as for penalties well we'll just have to hope we get the chance to relive the 1996 Spain v. England quarter-final penalty shootout

Because if that's the case Spain better pray they don't get penalties. England only had to take 4 pens that day because Spain only scored 2.

Hierro (missed) Shearer (scored)
Amor (scored) Platt (scored)
Belsue (scored) Pearce (scored)
Nadal (missed) Gascoigne (scored) PS is this Rafa Nadals' uncle ? (I know he played for Barcelona and Mallorca).

Last edited by mightykaboosh; 7th May 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 5th May 2010, 11:18 PM   #6
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
¿CualQué equipo apoyarás?
La roja, por supuesto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightykaboosh View Post
Nadal (missed) Gascoigne (scored) PS is this Rafa Nadals' uncle ? (I know he played for Barcelona and Mallorca).
Yes, he is. Miguel Angel Nadal
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 12:02 AM   #7
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
This Brazil team of 2010 would murder the 1998 Ronaldo team. (i.e the one where Nike as sponsors demanded that Ronaldo had to play even though he'd had a series of seizures leading up to the game) Dunga's the manager now and he has taught Brazil how to defend, this is probably the best Brazil team in 20 years, remember you're talking from 1990 onwards.
Even though Brazil qualified well this year, I can't see how their current squad of players compares to the 1998 squad of Ronaldo (at his peak), Rivaldo, Bebeto, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Dunga, etc. Their current best players (Kaka and Ronaldinho) have had very average seasons. Brazil had a nightmare in the 1998 final, but up unto that point they had been the best team in the tournament. Are you sure their current defence is better than the likes of Carlos and Cafu?

Also the 1994 Brazil team with Romario won the competition, as did the 2002 team, and the 2006 team was stronger as well.

Quote:
"Brazil won the South American qualifying tournament with ease, and could afford to lose and draw their last two matches with Bolivia and Venezuela respectively. Coach Dunga ignored those who criticised his style of play as Luis Fabiano starred in attack and Julio Cesar in goal. During their campaign, they beat Argentina 3-1 away for the first time in 14 years"

The Argentina team wouldn't of even made it to the world cup without the help of 36 year old Martin Palermo, Higuain was firing blanks..... just like when Madrid got knocked out by Lyon, so Maradona chanced his arm and recalled Palermo. (Palermo of ex Villareal ex Betis and ex 2nd Division Alaves fame ((hardly a world beater)).
Sometimes I wonder if Maradona purposely wants to keep Messi subdued so he doesn't replace him as Argentina's national hero. However they still have other decent players in Aguero, Tevez, Mascherano, Cambiasso, etc, and Higuain has found form recently.
Quote:
Xavi is injured, he might be playing now but by the time the world cup rocks up his 3cm tear in his calf is going to be a 5cm tear. When people play on with tears they end up like Michael Owen. The muscle tissue grows back but it only has 80% of the tensile strength and thus they are even more prone to injury. Guardiola should of wrapped Xavi up in cotton wool ahead of the World Cup. Fabregas has spent most of the season either injured or looking tired and Torres is a doubt full stop. You're right it all hangs on Xavi, no one passes the ball like Xavi his distribution and pass completion rates are phenominal. I hope they all play, and play well.

England have a GREAT keeper and his name is Joe Hart, as for penalties well we'll just have to hope we get the chance to relive the 1996 Spain v. England quarter-final penalty shootout

Because if that's the case Spain better pray they don't get penalties. England only had to take 4 pens that day because Spain only scored 2.

Hierro (missed) Shearer (scored)
Amor (scored) Platt (scored)
Belsue (scored) Pearce (scored)
Spain actually outplayed England that day, and it's the only time England have got lucky with the penalties. Since then Spain have improved their penalty taking (they knocked Italy out in Euro 2008) and England have got worse.

I agree Joe Hart is a good keeper, but he hasn't much experience at International level, let alone world cups (might be a good thing in England's case)
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 08:33 AM   #8
parubin
el del espejo

Quote:
Xavi has only two more games left with FC Barcelona and then he will only have to focus on the WC. He will need to get totally fit by kickoff. Maybe not even so, as probably he won´t be needed so badly in the Group Stage (all due respect but Honduras, Switzlerland and Chile shouldn´t pose much of a threat for Spain's qualifying hopes). Hopefully Xavi, Torres, Iniesta and all Spanish players not 100% fit could use the first 12 days of competition as sort of a pre-season, preparing themselves and gaining confidence towards the knockout stage which is when the real deal begings, even more for Spain as we'll be facing the 'group of death'.
parubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 09:17 AM   #9
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legazpi View Post
Spain actually outplayed England that day, and it's the only time England have got lucky with the penalties. Since then Spain have improved their penalty taking (they knocked Italy out in Euro 2008) and England have got worse.
I remember that match very well. I watched it in England in a pub with a bunch of Spaniards. It was very painful at the end.
Old 6th May 2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Stephen
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
I remember that match very well. I watched it in England in a pub with a bunch of Spaniards. It was very painful at the end.
Did you trash the place?
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 05:18 PM   #11
mightykaboosh
Mega Forero

I think that Maradona is setting a system so that Messi does fail. I don't think he can handle being Argentina's no.2, when in reality he should jump at it. Now he's just a tubby man that only got the Argentina job because he came out to the press and anounced he'd been offered it, when he hadn't. He is tactically inept, with no managerial experience.

There is no doubt in my mind that Cafu is arguably the greatest right back ever to have played the game, but by the same token Roberto carlos is not the greatest left back of all time he was a proponent of attack, attack, attack. He took so many freekicks that by the law of averages he had to score a few stunners. He couldn't defend to save his life.

The Brazil 2010 team has grafters and steel throughout it's core. Melo is probably the finest defensive midfield player to come out of Brazil in the past 10 years. Lucio is having an immense season and Cesar, a Brazilian goalkeeper that can actually play between the sticks, and doesn't flap at crosses.

A great team has to defend as a unit, with the whole team tackling back.

Penalties can't be practiced and I'll be more than happy to go to pens with the current crop. Gerrard- Goal, Lampard- Goal, Rooney-Goal, Barry- Goal, Milner- Goal. (By the way if you haven't been following Milner, most of the top clubs in Europe want him).

~Plus don't be fooled by the England v. Spain friendly in 2009 at least 6 key players didn't play (Gerrard, Terry, Rooney, Ferdinand, Joe Cole, Milner). No team can give a decent account minus key players. What would Spain be like minus Xavi, Iniesta, Torres, Villa, Pique, Alonso?

Last edited by mightykaboosh; 7th May 2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 9th May 2010, 05:15 PM   #12
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Did you trash the place?
No, we didn't. We just drowned our sorrows with Spanish wine.
Old 10th May 2010, 03:59 PM   #13
Stephen
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
No, we didn't. We just drowned our sorrows with Spanish wine.
I recall the linesman in that famous game had dodgy eyesight though it worked well for Engerland.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:25 AM   #14
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Default World Cup Anyone?

ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 01:38 PM   #15
Stephen
Mega Forero

I read that the US are bringing more fans than any other country.

Now if you can just learn the rules...

England 2 USA 1
Old 24th May 2010, 01:41 PM   #16
gary
Samuri Forero

England will start slowly, get through to the semis and go out to Germany in a penalty shoot out... always happens.
...well except that once of course

Last edited by gary; 24th May 2010 at 02:08 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 03:41 PM   #17
Stephen
Mega Forero

More like get through to the last 16 this time and go out to Germany in a penalty shoot out. The odds of meeting Germany in the last 16 must be quite high.
Old 24th May 2010, 09:37 PM   #18
kenpeace
Super Forero

Great ad though.
kenpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 10:03 PM   #19
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I read that the US are bringing more fans than any other country.

Now if you can just learn the rules...

England 2 USA 1
We'll see.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 09:57 AM   #20
gary
Samuri Forero

Knowing England ...

USA 1 vs England 1

...then bite nails til qualification by the skin of their teeth and depending upon the results of others
gary is offline   Reply With Quote