Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Life, the Universe, and Everything Else

Notices

Old 27th July 2008, 02:10 PM   #1
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Default New Heroes Season

If you want the spoilers, read here.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 12:48 AM   #2
mcark
Forero Senior

I think the series has "jumped the shark" after the first season. I just can't watch the show.
mcark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 12:54 AM   #3
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcark View Post
I think the series has "jumped the shark" after the first season. I just can't watch the show.
Give it a chance, I mean, I don't know where your jumping the shark threshold lies but I think it is definitely much better than most shows (which I know ain't saying much). Where did Heroes lose you?
Old 2nd August 2008, 02:13 AM   #4
Beckett
Mega Forero

Season 2 was disappointing but I'm giving the show the benefit of the doubt for "Heroes: Villains", Season 3.

My issue with season 2 was that there were two many new characters introduced who had no clear connection to the central characters which bogged down the overall plot. Also, there was an urgency that was missing from season 2, probably because it was truncated. For example, the boy who could fly who became Claire's love interest seemed to me like a total waste of time. Same goes for Maya and her brother. I'd have preferred to have seen Claire's geek friend from season 1 turn out to have been a hero in disguise and they could've met up again in her new life. But that wasn't meant to be since he got his memory erased by the Haitian and then when next we saw him he had been reincarnated as John Connor in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

The show that has really lost me is LOST. I was a big fan the first two seasons but I've lost patience with it. The plot has gotten so convoluted and the producers are unwilling to provide any real answers to the mysteries. It's one big tease and it's very clear that there has never been a master plan for the show and that they are making it up as they go along. For example, the character of Ben was originally supposed to be for a few episodes but the producers liked the work that actor Michael Emerson was doing so they kept him on. He went from being a creepy control-freak weeks away from dying from a back tumor to a Jason Bourne /James Bond/assassin-for-hire mastermind with an unlimited bag of tricks. And whatever happened to the other Others and the children they kidnapped? And the four-toed statue that they made such a big deal about in one of the season finales?

And recently I read on a tv blog that Jin may not be really dead. The whole "dies in the season finale but is resurrected next season" has become a tired and predictable plot device in many shows, including Heroes. It's been overused, which is a shame, because the idea that a main character could die (and stayed dead) used to be a particularly effective way to grab the audience's attention.

Last edited by Beckett; 2nd August 2008 at 02:15 AM.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 02:40 PM   #5
tad
virtual idiot

Angry

Why Eleena is completely wrong -a reply by the forum's LOST correspondent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
The show that has really lost me is LOST. I was a big fan the first two seasons but I've lost patience with it. The plot has gotten so convoluted and the producers are unwilling to provide any real answers to the mysteries.
Surely the whole wonderful thing about LOST is that it is so convoluted. Some mysteries have been answered, but I don't know why people want everything spelled out to them -half the fun is guessing what the hell might be going on.

Quote:
It's one big tease and it's very clear that there has never been a master plan for the show and that they are making it up as they go along.
Not true. There is a 'master plan' which the writers have in place and they know exactly the ending and broad outline of how they are going to get there. Part of the problem during the first two seasons was the fact that the tv company, realising they were on a winner wanted it too keep going as long as it won ratings. It was for this reason that the writers (specifically Carlton Cuse /Damon Lindeloff) pushed to have an end point (after season 6) so watchers know where the end is (as when reading a book you know how many chapters are left) allowing them on focusing all on weaving the plot toward their known goals and avoiding episodes like 'Razzle Dazzle' -amusing as it was.

Quote:
For example, the character of Ben was originally supposed to be for a few episodes but the producers liked the work that actor Michael Emerson was doing so they kept him on.
The part that Michael Emerson assumed as leader of the Others was already conceived -it's just that it was not originally going to be him. Yes, when they saw that he was such a brilliant and accomplished actor naturally they wanted to keep hold of him for that role.
Quote:
He went from being a creepy control-freak weeks away from dying from a back tumor to a Jason Bourne /James Bond/assassin-for-hire mastermind with an unlimited bag of tricks.
He didn't go from anything to anything as the series continues it has simply become apparent that his sphere of influence is much greater than solely upon the island itself.

Quote:
And whatever happened to the other Others and the children they kidnapped?
er they are still around, Locke went off with them at the end of series 4 -and the children have been shown living with the others -I'm not 100% what you mean by other Others.
Quote:
And the four-toed statue that they made such a big deal about in one of the season finales?
What big deal? -they saw a statue and it had 4 toes.

Quote:
And recently I read on a tv blog that Jin may not be really dead. The whole "dies in the season finale but is resurrected next season" has become a tired and predictable plot device in many shows, including Heroes. It's been overused, which is a shame, because the idea that a main character could die (and stayed dead) used to be a particularly effective way to grab the audience's attention.
Well you don't know that. In fact we are not sure that Jin is dead. But assuming he is, there is no reason that he still might not appear in the show as the timeline is so mixed up -I'm not sure who has been resurrected. We are not really sure who or what Christian Shepherd is, as we are not sure about the appearances of Charley to Hurley are. Charley said that he is dead anyway.

I was excited to hear that shooting starts in 3 weeks for season 5. In my opinion each series so far has bettered the previous one. I think from a straw poll most people would name 'The Constant' as the best episode ever

Last edited by tad; 2nd August 2008 at 02:43 PM.
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 02:42 PM   #6
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Still, does Lost compare to Heroes or BSG?
Old 2nd August 2008, 02:53 PM   #7
tad
virtual idiot

I don't know, I've never seen them. I actually hardly watch tv these days.
Old 2nd August 2008, 02:57 PM   #8
Beckett
Mega Forero

@Tad:

@VS: Don't go there, unless you want to wind up in a street fight with a LOSTIE.
Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 08:27 PM   #9
gastephen
..es que yo no estoy loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Still, does Lost compare to Heroes or BSG?
OK, here is THE definitive ranking in descending order of goodness (results based on the highly scientific GGM* methodology with a unity sample population)
BSG
LOST
HEROES
*Graham's Goodness Metric - They've done tests. 60% of the time, it works every time.
gastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 08:32 PM   #10
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastephen View Post
OK, here is THE definitive ranking in descending order of goodness (results based on the highly scientific GGM* methodology with a unity sample population)
BSG
LOST
HEROES
*Graham's Goodness Metric - They've done tests. 60% of the time, it works every time.
I don't know much about statistics, but 'a unity sample population' sounds like a so-so sample.

What the hell is BSG anyway?
Old 3rd August 2008, 08:45 PM   #11
gastephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad View Post
I don't know much about statistics, but 'a unity sample population' sounds like a so-so sample.
100% of the survey's particpants disagree with you

Quote:
What the hell is BSG anyway?
I feel a John McEnroe quote coming on...
Old 3rd August 2008, 08:51 PM   #12
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
I feel a John McEnroe quote coming on...
I am serious. Don't watch anything.
(Well I watched something about volcanoes and a bit of women's golf today so that's not true)
Old 3rd August 2008, 08:55 PM   #13
tad
virtual idiot

ok I've googled it Battlestar Galactica -I have never seen it I'm sure it's good though.
Old 3rd August 2008, 08:57 PM   #14
gastephen

Quote:
I am serious. Don't watch anything.
Sounds like me. I've cancelled my Sky subscription (ends tomorrow). So now I won't even be keeping up with BSG or LOST when they return...

Here you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica_(2004_TV_series)

Last edited by gastephen; 3rd August 2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 3rd August 2008, 08:59 PM   #15
gastephen

Quote:
ok I've googled it Battlestar Galactica -I have never seen it I'm sure it's good though.
Aye, 'tis that. (Or so I am authoritatively informed by in-depth and unbiased research in the field).
Old 3rd August 2008, 09:15 PM   #16
tad
virtual idiot

Quote:
Sounds like me. I've cancelled my Sky subscription (ends tomorrow). So now I won't even be keeping up with BSG or LOST when they return...
There's always a way around these technicalities...
Old 3rd August 2008, 09:26 PM   #17
Margot
ViajeraVerdaderaVirtual

Quote:
OK, here is THE definitive ranking(results based on the highly scientific GGM* methodology with a unity sample population)

Is there perchance an equally definitive GAM*
(*Graham Accuracy Metric)..if so hie thee over to SPG (Spanish Word Game) where the scientific methodology might be appreciated, (or assiduously rejected) depending upon the determination
Margot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 09:30 PM   #18
gastephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot View Post
[/indent]Is there perchance an equally definitive GAM*
Yes.*

*60% of the time, it's right every time.
Old 5th August 2008, 01:40 AM   #19
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
100% of the survey's particpants disagree with you
Now you're batting a 1000!
Old 15th August 2008, 02:40 AM   #20
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

September 22nd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (7.8 KB, 15 views)