Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spain Travel - Advice and Experiences

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th February 2010, 04:48 PM   #1
expatsinspain
Forero

Default Is Ryanair Upfront Enough?

At the beginning of September 2009 we decided to go back for a visit to Spain, close to where we used to live in Benijofar.

After searching for the best deals, flight times etc we came up with a morning flight with Ryanair from Liverpool to Alicante.

I`ve flown with Ryanair in the past, but quite a while previous to this particular flight. We`d always found them reliable, at a decent price, and everything seemed `upfront` with their charges.

This is where we were in for some unpleasant surprises.

You have to check in online and print off your boarding pass, for which there is (unbelievably) a charge. If not, there is a big charge to do it at the airport.

Plus they make a charge for EVERY person when paying by credit or debit card, in both directions, and of course there`s no choice, you HAVE to pay by card online. We paid by one debit card. If I remember correctly that added another £20 to our bill.

This is all besides the charges for baggage of course.

What was even more annoying was that when we arrived at the airport we just assumed that having checked in online we`d not have much of a queue to check the luggage in. Wishful thinking!

We didn`t save any time whatsoever.

We, along with hundreds of others, still had to queue to get our bags checked in and weighed. We still had to hand over our passports and boarding pass to be checked. How did we save any time at all by checking in online? The queues were exactly the same length as in former times when we had to check in at the airport instead of online.

We initially just thought that by checking in online we`d turn up at the airport, drop our bags off and make our way through security. No way though.

To me Ryanair displays a great price at first, then when you start to add up all the `extras` you realize how they are making up their money. Poor business practice in my view.
expatsinspain is offline   Reply With Quote