Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > The Rastro > Geek's Corner

Notices

Old 12th February 2010, 02:09 PM   #1
dimonió
Super Forero

Default Nikon D90 or Canon 50D ?

Wanting to upgrade to one of the above, preferably with 18 -200mm zoom lens. Always liked the Nikon lenses but salesmen in the shops try to steer me towards the Canon. Mostly want landscape, city image shots and the usual family stuff. Anybody got any thoughts, please ?
dimonió is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Ben
Hero Forero

If you have any lenses already from either brand, that might be a reason to get one or the other. YOu can drive yourself mad by reading reviews (and worse, the forums!) at www.dpreview.com if you like, but I would say go and hold both, and see which feels nicer in the hand - the tech is so good these days that the pictures will be just as good with either camera.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Juanjo
Lorquista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
If you have any lenses already from either brand, that might be a reason to get one or the other. YOu can drive yourself mad by reading reviews (and worse, the forums!) at www.dpreview.com if you like, but I would say go and hold both, and see which feels nicer in the hand - the tech is so good these days that the pictures will be just as good with either camera.

Ben is right. Electronics on most camera bodies are pretty much the same these days. For me, feel and lens quality are more important. Of course, the most important component is the person clicking the shutter (but Photoshop can correct most common faults!)
Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 09:53 AM   #4
asturiasjohn
Super Forero

I agree. I've got an entry level Nikon body but the best thing I ever did was to spend money on a quality Nikon lens (70-300mm VR). The lens cost more than the body and I don't regret it.

Only thing I would say about the Nikon D90 is its due for a replacement this year, but with this thinking you can wait forever.....
asturiasjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Pippa
GigaForero

Quote:
Originally Posted by asturiasjohn View Post
I agree. I've got an entry level Nikon body but the best thing I ever did was to spend money on a quality Nikon lens (70-300mm VR). The lens cost more than the body and I don't regret it.

Only thing I would say about the Nikon D90 is its due for a replacement this year, but with this thinking you can wait forever.....
I agree, wonderful lens!
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 12:41 PM   #6
dimonió
Super Forero

Thanks all.

I didn't know about the replacement for the Nikon D90. Equally I didn't know that Canon were bringing out the 550D at the end of this month which has a better spec than the 50D in some areas (but not in others - more confusion !!)

Whatever I choose, I need to be used to it before we have our road trip through Navarra & the País Vasco in May.
Old 15th February 2010, 01:51 PM   #7
asturiasjohn
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimonió View Post
Whatever I choose, I need to be used to it before we have our road trip through Navarra & the País Vasco in May.
Sounds great, have a good trip. I will be interested to see the results.

I'm quite excited about getting a new camera with HD video, especially using a long lens.

This guy based in Asturias has made a really nice piece http://www.vimeo.com/9152748

(although it is with a £6000 Canon ).
Old 16th February 2010, 10:15 AM   #8
addison
Novato

Cool

I would suggest you to go with Nikon D90. I have it myself and the results are great and some good additions to the camera would work wonders. Good luck with your camera!!
addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 08:31 PM   #9
Yossarian
El refugiado de estupidez

I believe that question is do you like more Nikon or Canon, because if you are an amateur these cameras are great. I would go with Canon just because I like it more.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 01:02 AM   #10
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by asturiasjohn View Post

Do you find yourself needing a tripod when using this lens?
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 08:21 AM   #11
asturiasjohn
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Do you find yourself needing a tripod when using this lens?
No, the VR (vibration reduction) in the lens allows you to handhold the camera. It takes a bit of practice because the lens is quite heavy. I occassionally use a monopod but then switch the VR off.

There's a good review here - http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikkor_70-300mm_VR/
Old 17th February 2010, 10:08 PM   #12
dimonió
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
I believe that question is do you like more Nikon or Canon, because if you are an amateur these cameras are great. I would go with Canon just because I like it more.

Tried both in a shop and feel the build quality of the Canon may be more durable. It seems to have a better body case. May now wait to look at the 550D when it becomes available.

AsturiasJohn -Love the video link of the Asturias wildlife - maybe on the next itinenary !