Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spain Travel - Advice and Experiences

Notices

Old 24th February 2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Angelofthenorth
Novato

Question Suggestions for what to see/do around Southern Spain?

Hi,

A friend of mine had a solo holiday booked for the end of next month - flying into Málaga and staying ten nights in a friend-of-a-friends apartment as a house sitter. Unfortunately my friend is now ill and cannot travel so is transferring the flights, apartment responsibility and her car rental onto (lucky!) me.

I've visited other areas of Spain before and my conversational Spanish is okay (I think!) but I am looking for ideas on what to see and do when I'm over there. I'm definitely not looking to sit on a beach or spend the evenings in a bar. I've driven in Spain before so that doesn't phase me. I'd definitely like to make use of my digital camera and see as many different areas as possible whilst I'm there (day trips only though as I need to be back at the apartment at night) Are there any good days/places for local markets? Eating out/restaurants might be a no because I'll be on my own.

Budget-wise I haven't specifically saved for a holiday so I can't go too crazy.

Suggestions welcome!
Angelofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 10:48 AM   #2
pedroenespana
pedroenespana

Lucky you.

As you havn't said where in Southern Spain the apartment is, which time of year you will be travelling or what it is you do like to do, it is hard to make suggestions for you. There are literally thousands of various attractions and if you do get bored it will be due to lack of research rather than lack of things to do. I suggest to do a search within this forum & buy a guidebook. I'm sure you'll have a great time particullarly as you speak some spanish (beware of the local accent) & have a car so you can get of the beaten track.
pedroenespana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 12:17 PM   #3
greytop
Hero Forero

Each area will have a tourist website or you could start with something like the Repsol site - here's a page about the white towns of Andalucia.
Malaga has an interesting centre around the cathedral. Avoid Puerto Banus unless your finances suddenly improve but the old town of Marbella is interesting in a touristy way. Granada is one of my favourite places in the south but the Alhambra can be very busy - best to book online maybe.
Virtually anywhere you go will have something of interest, many have good tourist information offices, usually with multi-lingual staff.
Something a bit different away from the coast if you like churches - Antequera.
Have a great trip.
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 01:30 PM   #4
fawlty
Super Forero

Try and check out Benahavis of the road from Puerto Banus to Ronda, it's a beautiful village with some excellent restaurants.

On the other side of Malaga take a scenic through the mountains to Alhama de Granada, via Velez Malaga, you won't be disappointed.

Buen Viaje
fawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Juanjo
Lorquista

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawlty View Post
Try and check out Benahavis of the road from Puerto Banus to Ronda, it's a beautiful village with some excellent restaurants.

Buen Viaje
Fawlty is right about Benahavis, it deserves its calling itself "El Rincón Gastronómico de Andalucía". However it is reached only by a single road that leaves the N340 just west of San Pedro de Alcántara. Try Las Cañas restaurant in the square next to the police station, car park around the corner: we have eaten there many times and never been disappointed!
Juanjo is offline   Reply With Quote