Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Old 14th June 2010, 03:16 PM   #101
Legazpi
Mega Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
Right, but that's sort of the crucial point in my opinion. Smoking should be banned in places where workers (who don't have a choice) have to spend long hours every day. I have no problem with the existence of places where people can smoke, such as "smokers' clubs" and the like, as long as tax-paying employees are not required to expose themselves to a dangerous yet easily controllable environmental toxin.
This is similar to a point I was trying to make earlier in this thread (or maybe another one) - the problem is that the smoking ban is going from one extreme to another. If the government introduced smoking licenses and made bars that wanted to allow smoking pay for the license, then there would be a reduced financial incentive for bars to allow smoking. We'd end up with some bars allowing smoking and others not. So there would be a genuine choice between going to a smoker's bar or a non-smoker's bar.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 11:55 PM   #102
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

The ban would help more people than it would hurt.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 10:10 AM   #103
gary
Samuri Forero

I was in MAD last week and arranged to meet at a bar. When I got there it was a little smoky so we sat outside. An easy enough decision. If It had been any cooler - and it was cool - I would have gone inside. No biggy.
I am a non smoker. I have written everything I have to say on this subject in previous posts.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 01:47 PM   #104
Andy.G.
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legazpi View Post
This is similar to a point I was trying to make earlier in this thread (or maybe another one) - the problem is that the smoking ban is going from one extreme to another. If the government introduced smoking licenses and made bars that wanted to allow smoking pay for the license, then there would be a reduced financial incentive for bars to allow smoking. We'd end up with some bars allowing smoking and others not. So there would be a genuine choice between going to a smoker's bar or a non-smoker's bar.

I agree with you entirely,A sound ,simple solution to the problem as everyone gets what they want,the smoker get to enjoy their cigarette free from persecution, the non smokers have a choice of going to the smoking or non smoking bar free from smoke,and the bar owner does not have to close down is business. unfortunately the anti smokers would never agree to it.( I am a non smoker by the way and just think it would be hypocritical of me to condem somebody for polluting the atmosphere with smoke and jump into my 4 by 4 or public transport or travel to spain on a plane.)
Andy.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 04:16 PM   #105
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy.G. View Post
.....unfortunately the anti smokers would never agree to it.)
Yes that's curious. Why can we never come to some agreement, but always have to do what they want??
richardksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 10:00 AM   #106
gary
Samuri Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Yes that's curious. Why can we never come to some agreement, but always have to do what they want??
No idea - are there any smoke free vegetarian bars on Cava Baja - surely a tremendous niche market no one has noticed?
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 11:34 AM   #107
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
No idea - are there any smoke free vegetarian bars on Cava Baja - surely a tremendous niche market no one has noticed?
A smoke-free bar would be niche enough in Spain.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 02:45 AM   #108
Uriel
Mega Forero

I don't think most alcohol has meat in it to begin with, so pretty much all bars are probably vegetarian by default. Unless they serve food, too, I suppose.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 09:47 AM   #109
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Here's a great bar with absolutely no smoking. It's on the C/ Alcala near goya.
http://www.estudio3.es/geoclub-ppal-ingles.html
Unfortunately the beer is Heineken.
Old 18th June 2010, 02:07 PM   #110
ribeirasacra
Galicia, Celtic land

Quote:
Right, but that's sort of the crucial point in my opinion. Smoking should be banned in places where workers (who don't have a choice) have to spend long hours every day. I have no problem with the existence of places where people can smoke, such as "smokers' clubs" and the like, as long as tax-paying employees are not required to expose themselves to a dangerous yet easily controllable environmental toxin.

But they (and you ) do have a choice. If you don't like your work place move on..The only place one has is forced to work in is say a salt mine by some dictator regime.
ribeirasacra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 02:08 PM   #111
ribeirasacra
Galicia, Celtic land

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardksa View Post
Here's a great bar with absolutely no smoking. It's on the C/ Alcala near goya.
http://www.estudio3.es/geoclub-ppal-ingles.html
Unfortunately the beer is Heineken.
I would rather have the smoke if that is the choice.
Old 18th June 2010, 02:12 PM   #112
ribeirasacra
Galicia, Celtic land

I have a question for all of your anti-smokers:
The new law is proposing to ban smoking in pubs clubs and bars, but is easing the anti-smoking laws for hotel. If this is law is implemented are you never ever going to stay in a a Spanish hotel?
Old 18th June 2010, 08:59 PM   #113
Grimace
Big and Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribeirasacra View Post
But they (and you ) do have a choice. If you don't like your work place move on..The only place one has is forced to work in is say a salt mine by some dictator regime.
If you think it's acceptable for people to have to endure health hazards in their job simply because it would be too much of an inconvenience for their employer to provide protection, then I guess you'd never support banning smoking in bars. A 20% national unemployment rate doesn't give a lot of hospitality workers much choice in what jobs they take.

I never go to bars where smoking is permitted and personally won't be affected one way or another when it's prohibited, but I'm in favour of a smoking ban for the benefit of the employees.
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 12:25 AM   #114
richardksa
Jedi Forero

Quote:
If you think it's acceptable for people to have to endure health hazards in their job simply because it would be too much of an inconvenience for their employer to provide protection, ......
I never go to bars where smoking is permitted and personally won't be affected one way or another when it's prohibited, but I'm in favour of a smoking ban for the benefit of the employees.
Something that worries me about bar workers, particularly in Irish bars like Molly Malones, is the loud music, read cultural noise, that they have to be subjected to. That's my main complaint about bars here. I can't sytand the noise and don't see why they should also be subjected to it. In many bars the level is surely above health and safety limits for industrial noise. I would support a ban on that.
Old 28th June 2010, 03:57 PM   #115
primo
Forero

Hello,

That is really good because smoking is really very bad thing and it have so many bad effects.but i think maybe some people wouldn't like it because they have that in there habit but overall it is very good for health and future.

thanks!!

Old 28th June 2010, 04:35 PM   #116
Tumbit
Forero

It just winds me up that Spain, who I really thought credited it's citizens with actually having common sense and being able to make their own decisions, have bowed to the PC brigade.
I don't like smoking personally, so don't often frequent smoky bars and instead go to Non-smoking bars or bars that have well ventilated areas. On the occassions that I do go to smoking bars, I respect that it's my own choice to go there and know the score.
I think it's a shame that the Government are making a big thing of something that actually isn't.
Tumbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 03:17 PM   #117
Drummer
Forero

the smoking ban has been in effect in Canada for 5 or 6 years. I really don't know what effect it has had however. I DO know that there are less than half the number of bars there used to be. All the ban really did was make most of the smokers stay home and drink...to the point that no one has a bar to go to in many places.

Of course, after that ban came the pressure from the non-smoking groups to ban it from doorways....and decks....then even parking lots of certain buildings.....the problem is once the got the first ban, they just kept pushing!

I am a recent non-smoker and musician who had to spend many nights in smokey bars. But I am an adult, and if I didn't want to go into that situation no one was forcing me to. Everyone knows the pros and cons of smoking, you then just have to choose if you want to be around it or not.

I hear a lot of people say "but I like going to bars but not the smoke..."...well there may be a lot of things I want to do or not do, but that doesn't mean I think I should be able to force a bar or any other business to bend to my wishes.

If the TRUE majority of people are against bar smoking, then it will change because it makes more sense to pander to the majorities wishes. If the minority feel they should get what they want, regardless of their reasoning, it shouldn't happen.

BTW, recent figures in Canada show that obesity has replaced smoking as the leading cause of disease and death here, and yet I don't hear anyone screaming to ban pop and chips and Macdonalds......just a thought.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 03:24 PM   #118
MCP
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post

BTW, recent figures in Canada show that obesity has replaced smoking as the leading cause of disease and death here, and yet I don't hear anyone screaming to ban pop and chips and Macdonalds......just a thought.
There's no such thing as getting ill from passive eating, though, is there?
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 03:32 PM   #119
Drummer
Forero

there is certainly such a thing as an individual getting ill from being too fat! And it has become a huge drain on our health care system.

So technically you are correct on a personal level.

(of course I don't want to sit on the plane for 4 hours beside the 500 pound guy that is over flowing onto my seat! LOL
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 04:07 PM   #120
ribeirasacra
Galicia, Celtic land

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
There's no such thing as getting ill from passive eating, though, is there?

But there could be...look at a larger sized person and you "normally" see the rest of the family are of the same build.