Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spanish Forum > Learning Spanish

Notices

Old 26th June 2009, 10:27 AM   #1
k374
Forero

Default 'V' in Spanish

is it really pronounced as 'B' in english. This seems to be a source of confusion. Every spanish song I have heard "Vida" is pronounced as "Vee-dah" not "Beedah" and "Volver" is definitely pronounced "Vol-ver" and not "Bol-ver" and of course "Voy" is just as it is written.

So why is it said that V is pronounced like B?? Can I get an example? and what are the rules?
k374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Pippa
GigaForero

In Spanish Castillian, V is pronounced always like english B. I some countries in South America is pronounced like the english V
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Urgellenk
Super Forero

I believe that what the poster Pippa wrote is not quite correct, at least according to accademians. A different pronuncaition of b and v does occur in Castilian Spanish as well as in America, but only in localised populations.

v.
Representa el sonido consonántico bilabial sonoro /b/, sonido que también representa la letra b (→ b) y, en ocasiones, la w (→ w, 2a).
3. No existe en español diferencia alguna en la pronunciación de las letras b y v. Las dos representan hoy el sonido bilabial sonoro /b/. La ortografía española mantuvo por tradición ambas letras, que en latín representaban sonidos distintos. En el español medieval hay abundantes muestras de confusión entre una y otra grafía, prueba de su confluencia progresiva en la representación indistinta del mismo sonido, confluencia que era ya general en el siglo xvi. La pronunciación de la v como labiodental no ha existido nunca en español, y solo se da de forma espontánea en hablantes valencianos o mallorquines y en los de algunas zonas del sur de Cataluña, cuando hablan castellano, por influencia de su lengua regional. También se da espontáneamente en algunos puntos de América por influjo de las lenguas amerindias. En el resto de los casos, es un error ...

Diccionario panhispánico de dudas ©2005
Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

However, I have met people (both from America and Spain) who were taught in school back in the years that the two letters have different pronunciations. It is also true that many singers from spain and America do artificially pronounce many "v" sounds as in English when they sing, but not when they speak. Why they do it stil flommoxes me. Maybe they think it sounds cooler.
Urgellenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009, 12:33 PM   #4
tad
virtual idiot

One thing I would say is that in Spain they pronounce b and v the same however that sound is not quite the same as the English b -it is much less explosive. The v is not pronounced such that the top teeth contact the lips but with the lips only 'and without any 'explosiveness'.
I seem to remember Graham gave one of his very complicated linguistic terms to the action a while back.
tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Jules
Forerito sonriente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urgellenk View Post
I believe that what the poster Pippa wrote is not quite correct, at least according to accademians. A different pronuncaition of b and v does occur in Castilian Spanish as well as in America, but only in localised populations.
Nevertheless, as far as the original question goes, for all practical purposes when learning Spanish from scratch, I am sure that Pippa is correct to advise that b & v should be pronounced as 'b'.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote