Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 8th January 2010, 12:59 AM   #1
cassiopeia
Forero

Default vancouver olympics on tv in Spain?

Hiya,

I'm a Canadian who will be in Spain visiting my husband for two weeks in February... the exact two weeks when the olympics are on.

I realise Spaniards are not super interested in the winter olympics so I'm wondering if they have coverage on a public channel? My husband says they used to show them on Eurosport but now they don't have that channel at his house.

And of course whenever I try to google something simple about spain I cannot find what I want to know. So if anyone knows.... I would be very interested to find out!

thanks, Cass
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Culebronchris
Peino canas

I have no idea but as I was channel hopping this evening there was some bob sleighing on tododeporte. I just had a look on the rtve website and all there is at the moment is a report of the flame setting out from Greece.

Have a look yourself
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 07:12 AM   #3
cassiopeia
Forero

thank you for the tip... i think rtve is the best bet, from my googling, but they haven't got any feature on their website advertising the coverage like they do over here (which at the moment is australia, and let's face it why should they be any more interested in the winter olympics than spain). Oh Spain and your lack of online information.

so hopefully rtve or my husband reckons "la dos" may be showing something...
Old 14th January 2010, 08:32 AM   #4
satandpcguy
Forero

2010 Winter Olympics are being broadcast on:
TVE1
TVE2
Teledeportes
TVEHD (where available!)
Eurosport 1 & 2 (most are subscription, but there is a free to air version on Astra 1 at 19 east...with German commentary!)
BBC (if you can get BBC News (Not BBC World News!) you can get the BBC Sports Interactive Service which will have the Olympics)

Last edited by satandpcguy; 14th January 2010 at 09:10 AM.
satandpcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 09:42 AM   #5
cassiopeia
Forero

aha! a satellite installer person, how convenient thanks so much! hope the free channels' coverage is decent, i.e. the odd hockey game! or i'll have to brush up my uh nonexistent german haha.
Old 14th January 2010, 11:31 AM   #6
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero

Isn't NBC available via satellite in European countries?
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 11:44 AM   #7
MCP
Super Forero

Not on the subject, I know, but can the satellite man point me towards someone who knows about receiving German channels here in Valencia? The thing is, on Digital Plus when orientated to Astra,there used to be a ton of these, but suddenly there's only 4 or 5. Are there two kinds of Astra satellites? How many German channels are going over to ones where you have to pay? By the way, I'm not German myself, but my partner is, which is why I'm interested in the subject.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 11:58 AM   #8
satandpcguy
Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Isn't NBC available via satellite in European countries?
CNBC (the business channel is) but not the main NBC channel.

AFAIK, the USA stations orprogramming is only be available to subscribers of the AFN system, and whos viewing cards are only issued to troops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
Not on the subject, I know, but can the satellite man point me towards someone who knows about receiving German channels here in Valencia? The thing is, on Digital Plus when orientated to Astra,there used to be a ton of these, but suddenly there's only 4 or 5. Are there two kinds of Astra satellites? How many German channels are going over to ones where you have to pay? By the way, I'm not German myself, but my partner is, which is why I'm interested in the subject.
There are many (i count well over 50!) free to air German channels available on Astra1 located at 19 degrees east. (this is the same satellite group that D+ use - they also use Hispasat at 30 west!)

You can use this link to see what german channels are available for free - ie no subscription:
http://www.flysat.com/tv-de.php

There are several groups of Astra satellites - (not exact but) Astra 1s at 19 east (has French, German, Spanish), Astra 2s at 28.2 east (for UK TV) and Astra 3s at 23.5 east (mainly German).
satandpcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 12:48 PM   #9
MCP
Super Forero

Okay, thanks for that...obviously there is either something wrong with my astra installation (I see the main Digital Plus channels clearly enough, but only ProSieben, Sat 1, Viva and a couple of others of the German ones). We'll look into the problem in due course.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 03:59 PM   #10
lucy.annabel
Forero

Oh my goodness, thank you for asking!
I'm Canadian too, and a couple of my friends (a Russian and another Canadian) and I were all dying at the idea of missing the hockey. It'll be on at like, 5 am, but it's better than nothing.
lucy.annabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 04:08 AM   #11
cassiopeia
Forero

haha, yay someone who understands... I was in Australia for the Turin Olympics and all I got to see was "highlights" from the hockey games– not sufficient! (I remember it was the Canadian commentators and oh how very homesick that made me!) So... if I get to see a complete hockey game this time even if it's at 5am, that will pretty much make my, uh, year. We'll see!!