Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Moving to Spain and Living in Spain

Notices

Old 19th March 2010, 02:38 PM   #1
greytop
Hero Forero

Arrow UK ID cards for expats

Since we lost our Spanish foreigners' plastic ID cards the only way to prove our identity has been to carry a passport and the flimsy green paper.
A petition to the Prime Minister has been started - see details here.
If you feel even slightly annoyed by this why not sign now?

Viva la revolución
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Culebronchris
Peino canas

Ever thought of a campaign to do away with ID cards?

Why does everyone, but everyone, think they have the right to know things about me in Spain?

Was it a right wing dictator who started the process of issuing ID cards here or did it start before then?
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 10:51 PM   #3
greytop
Hero Forero

They exist in most of the European Union, Scandinavia, Switzerland and probably a lot more of the world. If I pay you money on a credit card and you don't know me for example, would you want some proof of who I was? Similarly getting access to health services, private or public, requires ID or cash in hand.
ID cards can be forged of course as can most things, but at least they are one way of getting through life's bureaucracy. They do seem to get photocopied a lot here in Spain - a cover your backside operation I guess
Old 19th March 2010, 11:07 PM   #4
eldeano
He's the most tip top

Personally, using the UK ID card to travel to Madrid recently and to support credit card payments was so much easier than having to carry my passport around with me.
eldeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 11:28 PM   #5
delgado
Mega Forero

Personally, on a day to day basis I just carry around a photocopy of both, with my UK driving license in my wallet. If I'm doing something official, then uff, I take everything and copies of everything.God forbid that they should have to put down their cups of coffee, get up and make copies for you, using the paper and machines that your taxes go towards paying for.

I normally show my fotocard UK driving license when making purchases with credit/debit cards, and have never had any problems yet. In France they seem to be even worse, and start writing down your details when paying by card, even in the supermarkets. I had to laugh to myself when I was paying for some shopping the other day in France as the woman at the checkout started taking note of what vehicles I'm allowed to drive

Last edited by delgado; 20th March 2010 at 09:23 PM.
delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 01:27 AM   #6
Culebronchris
Peino canas

But why?

I used to work with youngsters. They wanted to see 12 rated films but some jumped up clerk decided they weren't 12 and bang went their evening out. It's only a step from proving you're 12 to see Batman to something slightly more sinister.
Culebronchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 01:59 AM   #7
Legazpi
Mega Forero

I'm hoping that when Spain gets round to introducing chip-and-pin cards then they might not require other forms of ID when using them for purchases. But since by law you are meant to carry ID with you the whole time anyway, I suspect they'll keep insisting that you show it.
Legazpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 09:54 AM   #8
greytop
Hero Forero

I carry a certified copy of my passport and photocopies of my residencia and empadriamento. If I´m thinking of using a credit card though I'll take my passport as well. It all adds up to a bundle of papers and I'd much rather have an ID card which only contains the same info as a passport anyway, just in a portable form.
Meanwhile back in the original post - cast a vote if you feel the same way
Old 20th March 2010, 09:55 AM   #9
fawlty
Super Forero

I have never had any problem using my Spanish Driving Licence as ID since we lost the Residencia Cards. The green Residencia Form which replaced the old cards is useless as an ID tool, but you do need it from time to time to prove legal residence when dealing with the bureaucratic process.
fawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 11:30 AM   #10
dimonió
Super Forero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytop View Post
A petition to the Prime Minister has been started - see details here.
If you feel even slightly annoyed by this why not sign now?
That was fun! Email links from 10 Downing Street etc. Almost makes you think we have a democracy in the UK ....
dimonió is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 06:49 PM   #11
lenox
Forero Senior

The old residence card (which looked like a Spanish ID card and made me forget my unworthy second-class status) was the best. It fit in your pocket, and was a photo ID and had the tax NIE number on it (which, of course, a British one wouldn't).
The new passport green A4 combo, apart from being an insult, removes my status as a resident (over 40 years) and leaves me registered as a 'comunitario'.
If we are EU citizens, how about a... (gulp!) EU ID card. For everybody.
lenox is offline   Reply With Quote