Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum Learn REAL Spanish now!  

Go Back   Notes from Spain and Spanish Forum > Spain Forum > Spanish culture, life, food, and news

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2006, 10:14 PM   #1
lumpsuckerpig
Forero Senior
 
lumpsuckerpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Burnley England
Posts: 94
Default Does anyone know?

While I was on holiday in Tenerife last September, I ordered pan Y tomate, which I knew was obviously fresh bread with tomato on. However, this was a type of tomato paste and was absolutely great, it seemed to have a hint of garlic and was very smooth and tasty. Has anyone any idea how to make what would probably be a very simple snack to make? Also, garlic mayonnaise, any quick ideas for making this?

Thanks in advance
lumpsuckerpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2006, 10:54 PM   #2
Marina
NFS Admin
 
Marina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madrid
Posts: 1,237
Default

Hi lumpsuckerpig,

There is a pocast where we speak about pan con tomate.
We mostly prepare it by rubbin half a garlic clove and half a tomato over bread and then pouring some olive oil. But if you prefer, or you just want to preapare it for lots of people, you can pure 1/4 garlic clove and 2 or 3 tomatos and maybe a pinch of salt.

I will podcast about the garlic mayonnaise very soon.

Last edited by Marina; 13th April 2006 at 10:57 PM.
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2006, 06:54 AM   #3
Brian
Errant in Valencia
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina

I will podcast about the garlic mayonnaise very soon.
Marina,

Speaking of alioli, how long can you keep alioli before it's no longer able to be consumed? Some websites seem to say that you shouldn't keep it more than a couple of days.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Isra
Forero
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madrid
Posts: 15
Default

If Marina lets me answer for her i would say that you have to care about alioli's "life" as much as with mayonnaise. If it comes bottled it should last as any other sauce and, because of its content of egg it shouldn't be out of the fridge.

Mayonnaise is supposed to come from Menorca, as alioli sauce. That's what people say there. By the way, one of the traditional drinks in Menorca is the gin. Of course it wasn't born there (i guess it's british) but that island was occupied by the UK long ago.
Isra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 10:47 PM   #5
Markitos
Forero
 
Markitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madrid(Spain)
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpsuckerpig View Post
While I was on holiday in Tenerife last September, I ordered pan Y tomate, which I knew was obviously fresh bread with tomato on. However, this was a type of tomato paste and was absolutely great, it seemed to have a hint of garlic and was very smooth and tasty. Has anyone any idea how to make what would probably be a very simple snack to make? Also, garlic mayonnaise, any quick ideas for making this?

Thanks in advance
This snack comes from Catalunya, and the original name is "Pa amb Tomaquet" (Write in Catalán, lenguage from Cataluña) You can say (pan tumaca in spanish)

My ex-girlfriend is from Catalunya and I eated pa amb tomaquet too many times! Que rico!!!!


Last edited by Markitos; 17th April 2007 at 10:51 PM.
Markitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 11:09 PM   #6
gary
Samuri Forero
 
gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 2,711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpsuckerpig View Post
While I was on holiday in Tenerife last September, I ordered pan Y tomate, which I knew was obviously fresh bread with tomato on. However, this was a type of tomato paste and was absolutely great, it seemed to have a hint of garlic and was very smooth and tasty. Has anyone any idea how to make what would probably be a very simple snack to make? Also, garlic mayonnaise, any quick ideas for making this?

Thanks in advance

My favourite was always Canarian potatoes with Mojo salsa....
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 01:00 PM   #7
greytop
Hero Forero
 
greytop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pego, Spain
Posts: 3,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
My favourite was always Canarian potatoes with Mojo salsa....
Didn't they roll off the toast?
greytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 08:35 PM   #8
Suze
Forero
 
Suze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 30
Default

maybe you had salmorejo on toast ?! It is like gazpacho but much thicker and much nicer > I have had it on toasted bread with raw cod or something > sushi, sevillian style ! It was great though !
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 12:51 PM   #9
kanana
Forero
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 19
Default

Pa amb tomatec!! Mmmm, I love it! I used to eat this every day in Barcelona. Now I miss it so much. I've tried to do it in London, but it not tastes the same. I need my Borge's olive oil, the bread that my grandmather makes in Mallorca and the tomatoes that my grandfather grow!!!

Delicious!!

kanana
kanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Edith
Pangolin Forero
 
Edith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Países Bajos
Posts: 3,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanana View Post
Pa amb tomatec!! Mmmm, I love it! I used to eat this every day in Barcelona. Now I miss it so much. I've tried to do it in London, but it not tastes the same. I need my Borge's olive oil, the bread that my grandmather makes in Mallorca and the tomatoes that my grandfather grow!!!

Delicious!!

kanana
True, homegrown fruits and vegetables always taste a whole lot better. Some people always prefer local produce to export-quality fruits & vegs. But no matter how hard we try, tomatoes just don't taste the same here in northwestern Europe as they do in Spain or Italy.

What kind of bread does your grandmother make? Whole wheat or white?
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 01:10 PM   #11
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
True, homegrown fruits and vegetables always taste a whole lot better. Some people always prefer local produce to export-quality fruits & vegs. But no matter how hard we try, tomatoes just don't taste the same here in northwestern Europe as they do in Spain or Italy.

What kind of bread does your grandmother make? Whole wheat or white?
My grandmother used to go to the panaderia everyday for her bread. It was a toothy french baguette-type bread. It was warm when bought and it was delicious.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 01:16 PM   #12
Edith
Pangolin Forero
 
Edith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Países Bajos
Posts: 3,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
My grandmother used to go to the panaderia everyday for her bread. It was a toothy french baguette-type bread. It was warm when bought and it was delicious.
Ooooh, please stop it! The smell of fresh, rustic style bread! I know it's not very good for your cholesterol, but it tastes even better with real butter slathered on top! This seems to be more of a French thing, though.
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 12:23 AM   #13
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
Ooooh, please stop it! The smell of fresh, rustic style bread! I know it's not very good for your cholesterol, but it tastes even better with real butter slathered on top! This seems to be more of a French thing, though.
So skip the butter and use olive oil on a piece of that bread after its been slightly toasted and sliced in half, scrape garlic on it and throw a couple of slices of fresh tomato on it. Yum!
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 12:37 AM   #14
Edith
Pangolin Forero
 
Edith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Países Bajos
Posts: 3,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
So skip the butter and use olive oil on a piece of that bread after its been slightly toasted and sliced in half, scrape garlic on it and throw a couple of slices of fresh tomato on it. Yum!
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 10:23 PM   #15
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
Mantequilla lo uso de vez en cuando, y solo para cocinar.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 10:41 PM   #16
Brian
Errant in Valencia
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,310
Default

I´ll have a racion for all of you tomorrow.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2007, 09:28 PM   #17
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I´ll have a racion for all of you tomorrow.
Make mine of those chorizo sandwiches and a cool Tri-Naranjus!
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2007, 10:06 PM   #18
Brian
Errant in Valencia
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaSon View Post
Make mine of those chorizo sandwiches and a cool Tri-Naranjus!
Oh man, there´s nothing better than a cold glass of Trina. Very refreshing, and not too sweet.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2007, 10:14 PM   #19
ValenciaSon
Hero Forero
 
ValenciaSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Posts: 4,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Oh man, there´s nothing better than a cold glass of Trina. Very refreshing, and not too sweet.
It was my favorite when I was in S-land.
ValenciaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2007, 10:23 PM   #20
Edith
Pangolin Forero
 
Edith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Países Bajos
Posts: 3,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Oh man, there´s nothing better than a cold glass of Trina. Very refreshing, and not too sweet.
Yes!!!
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Learn REAL Spanish now!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.